Country Ranking gone from 10th to 23rd in past ten years

tarapoa

No same for everyone. It's just divided by the number of teams you start with.

Thus getting a fair play place could be bad news for England as every point is now divided by 8 this season rather than 7, but that's fair as they have 8 chances not 7 or in our case 4 to get points.

Having 2 teams in round 1 Could be good for Scotland. 4 wins would be 1 point where in past years we would have sat out that round.

• Replies 359
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Half the fun of Europe for Scottish fans is the opportunity to point and laugh at some of the pathetic efforts of our clubs (e.g. Falkirk, Dunfermline, Gretna, Hibs). Don't take that away!

Say Saints beat this team from Yerevan at home a week on Thursday we get 1 point. The following week we could be playing Red Star and the win would get the same point as the week before.

Don't unseeded sides get any recognition for beating a seeded team?

No TV coverage of this weeks games as far as I can see.

BBC normally cover Celtic in the early rounds of the champions league and BT Sport did cover Aberdeen last year as well as the Saints game in Slovakia in round 3.

No. You have to be in top 12 to get EL groupstage slot (often top 13 if some titleholder slot unused).

If we got up from 23rd to even 16th our current:

CL - QR2

EL - QR2

EL - QR1

EL - QR1

would only improve to:

CL - QR2

EL - QR3

EL - QR2

EL - QR1

http://kassiesa.home.xs4all.nl/bert/uefa/access2015.html

Really have to break into top 15 for things to take-off.

How badly have we all done since the Setanta deal broke down ?, the reason I ask is because that's when the TV money stopped and is it relevant to the position the clubs now see themselves in.

No. It's actually remarkably 'fair'... 1pt win / 0.5pts draw before groups, 2pts / 1pt thereafter.

Only bonuses are for reaching CL groups (4pts) or QFs/SFs/Final in CL or EL (1pt), IIRC.

Glad you put fair in inverted commas. I should have known there would be no extra benefit for beating a seed as rewarding the small guy isn't UEFA's way of course.

Country Ranking depends on accumulating points for wins and draws, rather than just progression.

From that point of view, St Johnstone losing and Aberdeen conceding an equaliser means it's a poor start.

Didn't see the match in Armenia, but dearie me watching that second half in Macedonia, it is ludicrous to send our teams out for their first competitive match of the season in these ties.

Dons breathing out of their backsides, and I heard it was almost 40 degrees in Yerevan.

There's another 90 minutes at home to sort it out. Simmer.

That cretins taken the Saints result almost as badly as HibeeJibee. Astounding stuff.

23rd in Europe is shit whether you like it or not.

We've been let down by dreadful results in the past, I bet there is some utter diddies placed ahead of Scotland.

Hopefully we can start climbing again, negotiating these early rounds is the tricky part.

Archived