Country Ranking gone from 10th to 23rd in past ten years

tarapoa

• Replies 359
  • Created
  • Last Reply

TBF it is quite hilarious that even when Aberdeen are playing other sides at Ibrox they still can't win

TBF it is quite hilarious that even when Aberdeen are playing other sides at Ibrox they still can't win

It's hardly surprising when you look at the long list of Rangers men who have managed them over the years. They certainly seem to try a lot harder against Celtic.

Why is it the majority of "fans" posting on here are "supporters" of teams unlikely to grace any European fixture any time soon.

f**k off; we're aiming for Europe next year! Danny Lennon said so on Saturday night!

Well, he didn't really, but that's not how we're going to choose to remember it :P

Why is it the majority of "fans" posting on here are "supporters" of teams unlikely to grace any European fixture any time soon.

Probably something to do with P&B being a forum for the whole if Scottish football.

What's the big deal? Ok, Aberdeen will most likely get knocked out in the next round. Rijeka will be a bit too good for them. Same goes with Inverness Caley Th. Yes, we could change to summer footy as everybody seems to think that this is the cure for our showings in Europe.

However, has anyone stopped to consider that maybe a summer switch wouldn't work? Has anyone considered that maybe our clubs/players (outside Celtic and MAYBE Rangers) ARE JUST NOT GOOD ENOUGH?

In the unlikely scenario that Celtic and Rangers went to the Premiership, Scottish footy would basically be the League of Ireland. We'd be 1st Qualifying Round every season.

I think that Aberdeen and Inverness should use the Euro ties as pre-season friendlies. Basically use them to try out the youngsters breaking into the 1st team, the new players, try out new formations etc. It will be an uphill task for a Scottish side to win this sort of tie as it is, so use it to prepare for the far more important domestic affairs. Astra and Rijeka are serious teams who'll be taking Europe seriously as well, so it will be great experience for our sides to play against these teams.

Overall, what I'm trying to say is can't we just enjoy our game for what it is? Can't we just accept that, whilst we're not good enough for Europe, we can still enjoy our domestic game? I think if we do that then our game would be far more enjoyable.

However, has anyone stopped to consider that maybe a summer switch wouldn't work? Has anyone considered that maybe our clubs/players (outside Celtic and MAYBE Rangers) ARE JUST NOT GOOD ENOUGH?

We all know we're not good enough, but this applies to Celtic too, they trail virtually every one of their peers from Portugal, Holland & Belgium. As for rangers...really?

In the unlikely scenario that Celtic and Rangers went to the Premiership, Scottish footy would basically be the League of Ireland. We'd be 1st Qualifying Round every season.

Cliched rubbish.

Overall, what I'm trying to say is can't we just enjoy our game for what it is? Can't we just accept that, whilst we're not good enough for Europe, we can still enjoy our domestic game? I think if we do that then our game would be far more enjoyable.

We do but that doesn't mean we shouldn't be trying to improve by changing whatever it takes to improve ( how coaches coach, how kids learn & play, etc)

On par with the League of Ireland. Fucking hell. Most people in Southern Ireland have never even heard of football ffs. Let alone attend matches.

EdTheDuck, I said MAYBE Rangers, and perhaps you're right. Their best days are behind them. However, they were entering the group stages of the Europa and Champions LEagues on a regular basis during the old co. However, I do accept that's in the past. Celtic have represented us far more successfuly in a general sense in the recent past. They worked hard and perhaps rode their luck on the night they beat Barca but they still achieved something special for the game.

I think it would be 1st Qualifying Round every season were it not for the OF. It's been almost 10 years since a side outwith the OF entered the Europa league group stage. Like I say, I believe these guys go through blood, sweat and tears to be there again. However, if you're not good enough then no amount of tweaking the league, coaching etc will work.

Finally EdTheDuck, we should try to improve using the methods you describe. However, it'll be a long and slow process. Even when we have reached an acceptable standard the other teams could still be far ahead of us. Football's a developing sport after all.

TheScarf, ROI sees footy as their 3rd sport behind Gaelic sports then Rugby Union. However, we can compare ourselves to the League of Ireland as it's overall still a better standard than the Northern Irish Premiership, the League of Wales and the Gibraltar Premier Division.

What's the big deal? Ok, Aberdeen will most likely get knocked out in the next round. Rijeka will be a bit too good for them. Same goes with Inverness Caley Th. Yes, we could change to summer footy as everybody seems to think that this is the cure for our showings in Europe.

I think that Aberdeen and Inverness should use the Euro ties as pre-season friendlies. Basically use them to try out the youngsters breaking into the 1st team, the new players, try out new formations etc. It will be an uphill task for a Scottish side to win this sort of tie as it is, so use it to prepare for the far more important domestic affairs. Astra and Rijeka are serious teams who'll be taking Europe seriously as well, so it will be great experience for our sides to play against these teams.

I suppose the alternative would be to insist that the players that come to Scotland treat themselves like professional athletes and get them to work hard on their game instead of leaving after a 3 hour training session to make sure they make their cheeky nando's before visiting the sunbeds and getting another tattoo. I'd say accepting mediocrity is definitely the way to go. Definitely.

However, we can compare ourselves to the League of Ireland as it's overall still a better standard than the Northern Irish Premiership, the League of Wales and the Gibraltar Premier Division.

Welsh Premier teams regularly pump Irish teams in European competition.

Maybe you're right - but we've been good enough in the past. The switch to the hybrid season (3 week winter break, 3 week summer break) is worth a try. Having these matches weeks before our league season definitely does us no favours.

.....and maybe nothing, that club died.

Aaaargh, the League of Ireland comparison.

Load of tosh - even without Celtic, the top flight in Scotland is one of the best supported leagues per head in Europe.

Top flight League of Ireland clubs get crowds akin to the lower part of our second tier.

Celtic are a freakshow really playing in a stadium that big, for a country our size. Just look at Austria, Switzerland, Norway, Denmark etc for better comparison of size and potential.

I think that Aberdeen and Inverness should use the Euro ties as pre-season friendlies. Basically use them to try out the youngsters breaking into the 1st team, the new players, try out new formations etc. It will be an uphill task for a Scottish side to win this sort of tie as it is, so use it to prepare for the far more important domestic affairs.

I've seen my club win two European trophies, as well as another semi-final and another quarter-final.

I saw us get through the Euro groups to play give Bayern a cracking game at Pittodrie as far on as February not so long back.

I saw us knock out the side that just won the Dutch Cup last season.

Rijeka may well turn us over, but I'm damned if I'm going over there to watch us treat this like a pre-season friendly.

We'll need to up our game from the first round, but I like to think if Rijeka are to beat us over two legs they're going to need to earn it.

Hopefully Inverness do well too - I think they can.....

Do you want to explain us obliterating Rangers last season and keeping them out of the top flight, and being the first club in 2012 to come out and say they should start again in the lowest tier? After all, how could this happen with such a "mentality".

While you're at it, you can explain us having significantly larger attendances than Aberdeen yet again last season, when you were supposed to be "challenging"?

Aberdeen haven't even won at Ibrox in my lifetime. Lie down shitebags.

:lol:

Lmao! It was the St Johnstone fan scrambling for relevance! I was correcting him :blink:

And while we're at it, your a hearts fan on a European thread....and I'm scrambling for relevance :D

Well done Aberdeen btw, doing the nation proud with that win tonight.

Aberdeen's win last night puts us back on track, its early days but on this season alone we are now equal 22. The mighty Liechtenstein lead the way even after the giving of the bonus points to the Champions league group stage nations.

Aberdeen's win last night puts us back on track, its early days but on this season alone we are now equal 22. The mighty Liechtenstein lead the way even after the giving of the bonus points to the Champions league group stage nations.

When checking the coefficient tables, you're better off actually looking ahead to the following season, because a lot of the nations above us drop dramatically when good seasons are taken off (Holland look set to take the biggest hit).

Scotland therefore at the moment are set to move to 20th, and 15th is our aim to get a second champions league spot (and 5 euro places overall)

Holland are on 16.9 points. We're on 12.5, but have this season and next season to try and catch them. It would take two very good seasons of course, and for Holland to continue struggling.

Croatia, Austria, Sweden and Belarus are the other countries between us and 15th.

It's them five nations we should be keeping an eye on.

So state of play is:-

15: Holland 16.963

16: Croatia 16.750

17: Austria 14.375

18: Sweden 13.600

19: Belarus 12.750

20: Scotland 12.550

Holland and Belarus have already had teams knocked out, and there's quite a few not safe in their ties.

Champs League

QR2 (first leg scores in brackets, home teams are ones who are at home in 2nd leg)

Dundalk (1) v (2) Bate Borisov (Bel)

Zalgiris Vilnius (0) v (0) Malmo (Swe)

Fola Esch (0) v (0) Dinamo Zagreb (Cro)

all three ties in balance, and if they lose at this stage they don't drop into EL, they are out

QR3

Videoton v Bate Borisov (if Bate qualify)

Salzburg (Aut) v Malmo (if Malmo qualify)

Molde v Dinamo Zagreb (if they qualify)

Rapid Vienna (Aut) v Ajax (Hol)

losers in this round go into EL play-offs. Winners into QR4

Group stage

PSV already qualified.

Europa League

QR1

Go Ahead Eagles (Hol) and Torpedo Belaz Zhodino (Bel) knocked out.

QR2

PAOK (1) v (2) Lokomotiva (Cro)

Shiraz (0) v (2) AIK Stockholm (Swe)

Wolfsberger (Aut) (1) v (0) Soligorsk (Bel)

Elfsborg (Swe) (0) v (0) Randers

Dinamo Minsk (Bel) (1) v (1) Cherno More Varna

Aberdeen (3) v (0) Rijeka (Cro)

Hadjuk Split (Cro) (2) v (3) Koper

IFK Gothenburg (Swe) (0) v (0) Slask Wroclaw

QR3

(If the above qualify)

Lokomotiva v Linfield/Spartak Trvana

AIK v Atromitos

Soligorsk/Wolfsberger v Borussia Dortmund

Elfsborg v Odd/Shamrock Rovers

Dinamo Minsk v FC Zurich

Hadjuk Split v Stromgodset/Boleslav

Gothenburg v Belenenses

(Already in QR3)

AZ Alkmaar (Hol) v Istanbul Basalsehir

Sturm Graz (Aut) v Rubin Kazan

Southampton v Vitnesse Armhem (Hol)

Rheindorf Altach (Aut) v Vitoria de Guimaraes

Group stage

Groningen already qualified.

Better week - nice to be in Croatia to witness that.

Their teams had a great season last time round, but we need to target them now as a few are struggling.

Hopefully Inverness can somehow do something in Romania.

Archived