The Greenock Morton Thread - It's Better Than Yours

2 hours ago, SLClyde said:

Yeah but we’re going to need Ryan Mullen back too because our keeper is intent on giving a goal a game away. 

That's not happening .

I liked Kabia but not Championship standard. Might just do a job for you .

Edited by Paisley Ton
dah

Seen a couple of people say we expect 1 in the door but I've also seen the source so taking that as a bag of shite.

Have we ever had a Jan window with no incomings? Can't think of any recently certainly and I'm not even that fussed. Aye a striker to help George would be welcome but apart from that, the team is in good shape. 

We've seen players come in during Jan and failed to make an impact. Guys like Ali Crawford, Ally Roy, Sterling, Colin McMenamin etc so if Dougie can't find anyone to improve the squad, I'm happy to go with what we've got and give some of the current squad improved deals if we have spare funds. 

Always good to strengthen if the right player is available and the budget has some cash in it.

But think we are in decent shape and Dougie wouldn't like to upset the existing squad's team spirit which seems good.

Can always call King back if needed.

The recent interview with the general manager hinted at one piece of remaining business in this window, shortly before Imrie's contract extension was announced. I assume that was what he was referring to and that there's probably nobody else coming in.

Which is fine. There are some weaknesses in the squad, but no immediately obvious upgrades on what we've already got.

33 minutes ago, Mon eh Ton said:

The recent interview with the general manager hinted at one piece of remaining business in this window, shortly before Imrie's contract extension was announced. I assume that was what he was referring to and that there's probably nobody else coming in.

Which is fine. There are some weaknesses in the squad, but no immediately obvious upgrades on what we've already got.

I think we could do with a striker option off the bench as Jai clearly isn't fit and outside of Muirhead/Oakley and him, no one can really play through the middle if need be. Quite often Muirhead and Oakley look tired with 10/15 to go and that'll only get more obvious as the season goes on. 

Yeah I’d have liked a striker or upgrade on French in, but probably being a bit greedy. The squad’s fine, no point in chucking in an Ally Roy figure for the sake of it.

On 03/10/2023 at 13:11, Branch Ton said:

Imrie is guilty of cronyism and ageism. Someone needs to vet his recruitment policy and oversee the development of younger players. If the likes of Joe Jordan, Joe Harper, Neil McNab we’re here now they too would be shunted out on loan never to return.  Whoever decided to sanction Imrie’s recruitment of Broadfoot , out of obscurity, and Power is should be kicked up the arse. It’s utter bollocks that we can’t give younger players like McGrattan a regular place,

He's only gone and done it again!

IMG-20220313-WA0007.jpg.1358f3462ffdd4f170519b480b520fca.jpg

On 04/11/2023 at 15:19, Branch Ton said:

Just for once could the sycophantic tosser who interviews Imrie respond to “it’s down to individual errors” by asking Imrie to admit to some of his own. And maybe also why he doesn’t consider a playing comeback given that the ever present Broadfoot is only one year older than him.

IMG-20220313-WA0007.jpg.1358f3462ffdd4f170519b480b520fca.jpg

On 12/11/2023 at 07:19, Branch Ton said:

Develop what and into what exactly? 

He has already delegated the development of King and been allowed to sign his aging cronies,  in the full knowledge of their inherent limitations, but presumably on the basis they will fit with his one dimensional playing style. 

You can often tell the cut of a man by the trousers he wears.

IMG-20230304-WA0003.jpg.ce0f000049469591896652e4b11da08e.jpg

On 04/11/2023 at 09:18, Coventry Saint said:

Remember when you guys finished above us for two seasons back to back? What am I saying, of course you do. We all had such fun minding the gap.

Obviously hindsight is 20:20 but I reckon you should probably have built on that "glorious" success and got yourselves promoted instead of slowly stumbling towards another inevitable relegation to the seaside leagues.

Reveal hidden contents

Ainsley Harriot Delightful GIF - Ainsley Harriot Delightful - Discover &  Share GIFs

At this point it has to be a superpower St Mirren fans possess to time these kinds of posts right before we go on world-beating runs.

2 minutes ago, GiGi said:

At this point it has to be a superpower St Mirren fans possess to time these kinds of posts right before we go on world-beating runs.

Fair play, that was some result today. Coincidentally, I just had a Facebook memory from six years ago today, and your points level was similar after the same number of games.

You'd have to say the likely playoff opposition is much weaker this time around.

FB_IMG_1706990616415.jpg

1 minute ago, Morton Supporter said:

Does anyone know how to get a view of the league table from, say, 3 December?

To get a real time table, search the result and BBC, which produces the original match report. 

I think the key table you're looking for is earlier - 11 November after the narrow defeat at Partick:

IMG_20240203_204111.thumb.jpg.378f4d7b5997704b1f9cbbf13cbacfaf.jpg

Every fan stacks up a few decent results in a row on paper to think what might happen in the rest of the season, but to actually accomplish W7 D3 L0 from that predicament is ridiculous. Not least given it isn't a large budget team obviously underperforming, like Jack Ross' turnaround with St Mirren. 

44 minutes ago, virginton said:

To get a real time table, search the result and BBC, which produces the original match report. 

I think the key table you're looking for is earlier - 11 November after the narrow defeat at Partick:

IMG_20240203_204111.thumb.jpg.378f4d7b5997704b1f9cbbf13cbacfaf.jpg

Every fan stacks up a few decent results in a row on paper to think what might happen in the rest of the season, but to actually accomplish W7 D3 L0 from that predicament is ridiculous. Not least given it isn't a large budget team obviously underperforming, like Jack Ross' turnaround with St Mirren. 

Thank you, this is what I was hoping to see.

Firstly to see how many points we’ve made on the team in fourth since then (Airdrie 13 points).

But also the goal difference - an improvement of 15 goals over 10 games, or 1.5 goals per game is incredible. It really has to be one of the biggest turnarounds of any team in Scotland in memory.

Although it would be unreasonable to expect this to continue til the end of the year it’s a lovely position to be in and all credit to the manager and his players.

3 hours ago, Morton Supporter said:

Although it would be unreasonable to expect this to continue til the end of the year it’s a lovely position to be in and all credit to the manager and his players.

We'll *probably* lose a game or two even on our current level of performance but having already been to Tannadice twice, there's no expected loss fixture left to play. We might lose at Raith at the end of this month or at Partick in March, but there's just as good a chance we'll turn them over. Three points from those two games would be a good return even if an unbeaten run goes.