The Greenock Morton Thread - It's Better Than Yours

18 minutes ago, Rob1885 said:

Is there still a player there in Quitongo or is he totally done?

Too injury prone unfortunately.

10 hours ago, Rob1885 said:

He made a lot of appearances for us last season, but his injury record this season has been terrible. When he has played, he’s shown he’s not totally done, but if his injuries don’t improve he will be soon. 

11 hours ago, gmfc said:

Too injury prone unfortunately.

Also too prone to running down blind alley ways or shelling the ball out of play in good positions to deliver a final ball. 

That said, I had low hopes for Jai's return when he signed but he has more than justified his addition to the squad, given the state of our operation a few years ago. He's also a player who is genuinely exciting when he's on the ball and running at a defence.

I'm glad though that Imrie's supposed desire for greater pace up front is intended to be an upgrade rather than a renewal. The cost to benefit calculation simply do not match up if we're aiming to challenge for a promotion play-off, though I could see someone like Alloa or Queen of the South doing well with him when fit. 

1 hour ago, virginton said:

Also too prone to running down blind alley ways or shelling the ball out of play in good positions to deliver a final ball. 

That said, I had low hopes for Jai's return when he signed but he has more than justified his addition to the squad, given the state of our operation a few years ago. He's also a player who is genuinely exciting when he's on the ball and running at a defence.

I'm glad though that Imrie's supposed desire for greater pace up front is intended to be an upgrade rather than a renewal. The cost to benefit calculation simply do not match up if we're aiming to challenge for a promotion play-off, though I could see someone like Alloa or Queen of the South doing well with him when fit. 

Pretty much agree although his propensity to dive when in a good position was also very frustrating even if it did get us a few penalties.

13 hours ago, Rob1885 said:

He was actually really good the previous season playing at right-wing, arguably one of our most important players. This season he's just been constantly injured and poor whenever he has managed to play. 

Turned out to be a much better signing than most thought he would be. 

3 hours ago, Chicken Soup said:

He made a lot of appearances for us last season, but his injury record this season has been terrible. When he has played, he’s shown he’s not totally done, but if his injuries don’t improve he will be soon. 

Unfortunately his injury record for us wasn't much better so would doubt it's likely to improve. For me, he went down to easily and, if I'm honest, couldn't hit a barn door. That said, did love seeing him at QP.

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Chicken Soup said:

Really enjoyed watching him at QP and always impressed for Morton against us last season. Horrid end product and injury record but seeing him sprint past players with ease was good entertainment value 

Screams of a move to East Kilbride if they go up. Maybe going part time will suit his body more in terms of picking up less injuries. You wonder the more injuries he picks up, how much longer that electric pace will keep up. Without his pace, there’s not much else that makes him particularly effective 

Edited by qpfc

Jai when fit is an exciting player that most if not all defences can't handle.

He's had quite a few injuries this season and even when he played in the last few games he didn't seem 100% fit.

Injuries have hampered his career. If any team is lucky enough to get a fit Jai then he would undoubtedly be an asset 

I don’t think Jai has the pace he used to have when he was with us about 8 years ago. To me, he looks done at our level. Sensible to let him go. Pity his career has been so blighted by injuries.

23 hours ago, Colkitto said:

Jai when fit is an exciting player that most if not all defences can't handle.

He's had quite a few injuries this season and even when he played in the last few games he didn't seem 100% fit.

Injuries have hampered his career. If any team is lucky enough to get a fit Jai then he would undoubtedly be an asset 

Couldn't agree more. Disappointed he's away as when fit and on form he's unplayable. Unfortunately that hasn't happened much this season. Wish him nothing but the best of luck wherever he ends up next.

On 10/05/2024 at 22:40, Toby said:

He’ll be at Clyde or East Kilbride next season. 

I don’t think I’ve ever seen a snide comment from you Toby, so I’ll take you’re just saying what you believe will happen with Jai, rather than a put down. I felt that when fit he was our version of Maeda at Celtic, giving his all with lightning pace, terrorising the full back and preventing him from influencing the match.

I say best wishes for the future Jai!

38 minutes ago, DreamOakTree1 said:

I don’t think I’ve ever seen a snide comment from you Toby, so I’ll take you’re just saying what you believe will happen with Jai, rather than a put down. I felt that when fit he was our version of Maeda at Celtic, giving his all with lightning pace, terrorising the full back and preventing him from influencing the match.

I say best wishes for the future Jai!

You’d be one of very few, but in this instance I do expect Quitongo to end up at a club of that ilk.

Incidentally, after making that prediction on Friday night, I saw him in the crowd at K Park for their play-off game. He’s from that neck of the woods though, which is also a reason I’d expect him to end up at either them or Clyde.

An interesting summer ahead.

Not totally bothered by the clear-out. Aside from Oakley and Strapp, there aren't any players you'd class as irreplaceable.

Hopefully the purse strings are loosened a bit so that we can try and get a settled enough squad as soon as possible rather than scrabbling around for cast-offs right into the season.

A good start and a bit more consistency so that we can realistically challenge for a play-off spot next season

It's understandable to be worried (rather than fatalistic when it's only May) about players we wanted to keep leaving, particularly if Oakley and Strapp end up going as well when those two are even more important to the team than Crawford or Muirhead. It's worth looking at where they were when we signed them though.

Crawford had been released by a Championship club, had failed to win a contract on trial with another and was still clubless in mid-August when we signed him. Oakley had fallen well out of favour at another Championship club and was signed in January to bolster our attacking options rather than coming in as a obvious starter. Neither was seen as a massive coup for Morton who could be the difference between playoff challenging and relegation form, but Imrie got far better performances out of them than expected when they signed.

While his recruitment hasn't been flawless - I live in fear of Ali Crawford returning to stink the place out again now we have a need to rebuild our attack - for the most part he's done a fantastic job in getting more out of signings than you'd expect; Quitongo is another example for all that it's the right time for him to go, and it's true of Baird, Gillespie and Wilson as well. We have to hope he manages that again this summer. Even with players he inherited rather than signed, Muirhead and Blues were both miles out of their depth at this level reeking of a future at Clyde before Imrie, then became integral players in a team finishing 5th two seasons running.

While some of the signings have been so bad that no amount of coaching could have made them Championship players - Steven Boyd, Ally Roy - and Imrie has a blind spot in having too much patience with experienced players who've shown they aren't good enough - Kirk Broadfoot, Ali Crawford, arguably Alan Power - overall he's earned the trust that he's capable of rebuilding another solid Championship team, with Mullen, Baird and Wilson being a good core to start from. It's going to be an extremely difficult rebuild if Strapp and Oakley go which could end in disaster, but it's yet another situation where you'd have to go back at least 40 years to find a Morton manager who's done more to suggest they're capable of pulling it off.