The Greenock Morton Thread - It's Better Than Yours

Big Gav weighing up his options by the looks of it. If he moves on you just have to wish him all the best.
His stint at Cappielow has worked out for both parties. He came in and done an exceptional job and put himself in the shop window.
Obviously you don't want to lose your best players and I sincerely hope he stays, but if there is a position we can afford to lose someone from it's the CB position.
Lets hope the big fella stays until the end of the season at least. He likes it at Morton and says it's the most he's enjoyed his football for a long time. 

I agree with what your saying but if he's enjoying it and we still cant offer him something decent enough to keep him at Cappielow until June atleast, then for me it shows a real lack of ambition

7 minutes ago, Cowshed118 said:

I agree with what your saying but if he's enjoying it and we still cant offer him something decent enough to keep him at Cappielow until June atleast, then for me it shows a real lack of ambition

Depends where he ends up. If it's to a similar level then I would agree with you. 

If he moves to a higher level I don't think there is much the club could do

Not really. We've offered him as much as we can without breaking the bank. It's up to him whether he wants to accept the offer or look elsewhere for a better one. He's chosen to look elsewhere which is what everyone would do in his position.

Bearing in mind we also need funds for a striker or two as well.

10 hours ago, Cowshed118 said:

How many times are we going to hear this lack of ambition from the club? Its got nothing to do with ambition, We can't just bow down to his wage demands if its outwith our limit.Whilst the big man has every right to ask for what he thinks he deserves, we need to be realistic if its simply out of our reach. Our crowds don't exactly justify us throwing silly money at players.

If its only a couple of hundred difference then I'd fully expect us to get it over the line but if its much more than that, then i fully understand the clubs position. They will be desperate to sign him as well as its blatantly obvious how good he is but we do need a striker and many would agree that is probably more important.

How many times are we going to hear this lack of ambition from the club? Its got nothing to do with ambition, We can't just bow down to his wage demands if its outwith our limit.Whilst the big man has every right to ask for what he thinks he deserves, we need to be realistic if its simply out of our reach. Our crowds don't exactly justify us throwing silly money at players.
If its only a couple of hundred difference then I'd fully expect us to get it over the line but if its much more than that, then i fully understand the clubs position. They will be desperate to sign him as well as its blatantly obvious how good he is but we do need a striker and many would agree that is probably more important.

I dont think the likes of Luca, Macmanus or Bobby Barr would have been demanding crazy money either but we still lost those 3 to our play off rivals, as someone mentioned on this thread Mr Rae is always saying how good a manager Duffy is so why not back him for a real promotion push?

11 hours ago, Colkitto said:

Depends where he ends up. If it's to a similar level then I would agree with you. 

If he moves to a higher level I don't think there is much the club could do

This is the one. Losing Gunning to another Championship club would be the only cause for concern here.

9 minutes ago, Cowshed118 said:

I dont think the likes of Luca, Macmanus or Bobby Barr would have been demanding crazy money either but we still lost those 3 to our play off rivals, as someone mentioned on this thread Mr Rae is always saying how good a manager Duffy is so why not back him for a real promotion push?

Luca went to Falkirk who will be paying more than us and are a bigger club.

Barr doubled his wage at Raith on a 2 year deal, no brainer for him.

McManus was nothing to do with money. Both ourselves and Raith had loan offers accepted and McManus decided to go to Raith over us

So because Rae feels he is a good manager, he should simply give him a bottomless pit? Where exactly will the money come from? Yes we made a few bob from the cup run, but at the same time our crowds are way down on last year.( think i read somewhere our crowds are down by 38%) We will have a budget and I'm sure we can stretch that slightly but i fully understand the clubs position if we simply can't afford someone who in all honesty is too good for us and should be playing at a higher level on much better money than we can afford.

25 minutes ago, Cowshed118 said:

Because for the last two years there have been two/three clubs with far greater resources than ourselves. Even if we were to spend an extra, let's say, 2-3k p/w on the squad we would still be very unlikely to finish first. So yer throwing money at reaching the play offs where, even then, we'd be more likely to finish 3rd or 4th rather than 2nd so have to play half a dozen games against clubs with higher budgets than our own to gain promotion anyway. Ridiculous risk for very little chance of reward.

If we had, say, St. Mirren and Raith ahead of us instead of Dundee Utd and Hibs it'd be worth splashing a few extra bob.

15 minutes ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

PS:

The last time we pushed the boat out on wages to try and get promotion...

Capture.PNG

The following season when we had to cut back...

1.PNG

A very good point - having said that, it did seem (even at the time) that our team from the 12/13 season was a "one-season" team. Players like Spoonsy, Hardie, Rutkiewicz and McLaughlin were all heading towards the end of their careers, and their departures weren't necessarily to do with money.

Moore's attempts to replace the spine of the squad were misguided at best, and in Duffy I think we have a much more reasonable transfer policy in place.

tl;dr: Moore fucked it and it doesn't look like Duffy will. :thumsup2

24 minutes ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

PS:

The last time we pushed the boat out on wages to try and get promotion...

Capture.PNG

The following season when we had to cut back...

1.PNG

Huge difference between then an now due to the changes in prize money.

A 2nd place finish now is worth more than £200k in extra prize money than it was back then so the wholesale scale back would not be as necessary.

It's not all about the title and promotion making the only difference now. The difference between a couple of league places could be worth an extra £100k.

A wee bit of extra spend now to secure 3rd could secure that extra revenue (plus playoff gate receipts).

2 minutes ago, Jamie_M said:

Huge difference between then an now due to the changes in prize money.

A 2nd place finish now is worth more than £200k in extra prize money than it was back then so the wholesale scale back would not be as necessary.

It's not all about the title and promotion making the only difference now. The difference between a couple of league places could be worth an extra £100k.

A wee bit of extra spend now to secure 3rd could secure that extra revenue (plus playoff gate receipts).

Play off gate receipts aren't kept by the competeing clubs. They're pooled amongst the whole league.

But regardless, it's too early to criticise the club on it because

1. Gav hasn't left yet

2. We don't know the paramaters of him leaving (is for how much and to who)

The big man has been brilliant and we would all love him to stay. If his wages are so out of reach and he goes to a higher level then so be it, move on, but if it turns out to be a few hundred quid extra to a club in this division, the criticism will rightly rain down upon them.

Had a look at the rules.

From the total gate receipts for a home playoff match - the club deduct and keep 15%.

They then split the remaining 85% in half. One half of that goes to the league to be distributed amongst all the clubs, the other half they keep.

So roughly clubs get to keep 57.5% of the gate from a home playoff match.

Still some money to be made there if they get a decent attendance (and it's all unexpected income that wasn't budgeted for initially).

http://spfl.co.uk/docs/067_324__rulesofthespflasat01_jan_17current_1483611871.pdf

Incidentally, from a gate receipts point of view, that equates to exactly the same share as they would get from a home cup game (where the FA get 5%, the home club keep 20% and the remaining 75% is shared between the 2 competing clubs).

Edited by Jamie_M

Had a look at the rules.
From the total gate receipts for a home playoff match - the club deduct and keep 15%.
They then split the remaining 85% in half. One half of that goes to the league to be distributed amongst all the clubs, the other half they keep.
So roughly clubs get to keep 57.5% of the gate from a home playoff match.
Still some money to be made there if they get a decent attendance

Aye, but which clubs at our level set a budget on where they might finish or how many cup games they might have?

I would expect that making the playoffs and gaining the bonus gate money, would be used to secure aigning targets early in pre season and to boost nest seasons budget. Surely no Morton fan is keen on spending more, or in excess of the budget, to chase the play offs?

Aye, but which clubs at our level set a budget on where they might finish or how many cup games they might have?

I would expect that making the playoffs and gaining the bonus gate money, would be used to secure signing targets early in pre season and to boost next seasons budget. Surely no Morton fan is keen on spending more, or in excess of the budget, to chase the play offs?

We're never going to compete with English clubs on wages, can't criticise the club or Sir Gavin for this. While he's obviously not as good as Gunning, Kilday is still a solid centre back at this level and there's no concern about his ability to step into the team.

All focus on the search for a new striker now.