The Greenock Morton Thread - It's Better Than Yours

2 hours ago, gy diamond said:

Good to hear, bit of a strange one as we have a bit of depth at CB.

So do Morton. I'd still have considered him indispensable. Just far too good for this level so we're lucky to have had 3 or 4 months out of him.

8 minutes ago, sjc said:

McNeil and Gunning are senior pros.....surely on more than that?!

McNeil was back up goalkeeper and Gunning signed for peanuts to get back in to football as we were the only team who would give him a chance due to his reputation.

Obviously disappointed to see such a cracking player go, but as has been said, it's probably one position that we could afford to lose players in. I'm more worried that we're going to, yet again, f**k about for almost the whole transfer window.

5 minutes ago, Randy Giles said:

Obviously disappointed to see such a cracking player go, but as has been said, it's probably one position that we could afford to lose players in. I'm more worried that we're going to, yet again, f**k about for almost the whole transfer window.

That's a wee bit harsh IMO. Duffy's done well in the 2 previous January transfer windows he's had with us. That famous swap deal to get Ross Forbes in and Andy Barrowman :lol: out, as well as Ross Caldwell who made a good impact in his short time at the club. We obviously got Peaso and Tidser in at that point as well but they were more signings made by Rae.  

He also did quite well last year getting McManus in early and adding McMullan in as well.  

That's why I said "almost the whole window". We seem to be good at throwing folk in at the tail end of it, but we're in a position now that I don't think we can afford to do that with. We need more attacking options and sharpish. Probably would hope for a bit of cover at the back as well with Gunning gone, but not a priority.

24 minutes ago, Scosha said:

Highly doubt it.

16 minutes ago, port-ton said:

McNeil was back up goalkeeper and Gunning signed for peanuts to get back in to football as we were the only team who would give him a chance due to his reputation.

I gather they had part time jobs to supplement their footballing wage?

18 minutes ago, Nightmare said:

Between £400-500 per week is in the region of £20,000-£26,000 a year. It's hardly the poverty line.

I'm not denying this, what I am saying is would you give up the best 10 years of your life to have vT and the like to be shouting abuse and pulling Greigy Wallace faces at you from the touchline when you could earn more working at ASDA and getting paid to play Junior football?

1 minute ago, sjc said:

I'm not denying this, what I am saying is would you give up the best 10 years of your life to have vT and the like to be shouting abuse and pulling Greigy Wallace faces at you from the touchline when you could earn more working at ASDA and getting paid to play Junior football?

Footballers at Scottish Championship level probably "work" somewhere between 10-15 hours a week, and whilst £500 a week is at the lower end of the FT footballing wage scale, it will work out at a much better hourly rate than any sort of Asda/Juniors combo. Plus if successful there's the chance to move up and earn more money, as evidenced by... well, Gavin Gunning.

22 minutes ago, sjc said:

Aye true, because you don't get any arseholes in Asda shouting abuse at staff and Junior fans are well known for being fine upstanding individuals who only shout encouragement. What a terrible argument.

2 minutes ago, Nightmare said:

Footballers at Scottish Championship level probably "work" somewhere between 10-15 hours a week, and whilst £500 a week is at the lower end of the FT footballing wage scale, it will work out at a much better hourly rate than any sort of Asda/Juniors combo. Plus if successful there's the chance to move up and earn more money, as evidenced by... well, Gavin Gunning.

I'm well aware of the economic rates you mention but would you have your family move around the Country for this? Particularly a young family? I had to for a few years during the banking crisis in my former line of work and that was a complete ball ache......and I never even had kids back then thankfully plus I was better remunerated also.

9 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Aye true, because you don't get any arseholes in Asda shouting abuse at staff and Junior fans are well known for being fine upstanding individuals who only shout encouragement. What a terrible argument.

Fair point, I was being a bit tongue in cheek with that response but not so with the one above.

Why would an ASDA/Juniors combo be better than £20,000pa and the time and opportunity to gain coaching badges or take part in other skills and training courses?  Never mind opportunities to move up in the game as a player. Being a full time football player is a tremendous opportunity for the taking, even at this level. There's also the occasional League Cup Semi final and the like. 

I absolutely get the family angle, btw. Which does impact on player choices. There are plenty of players with families at Morton, but they tend to commute rather than move. 

Edited by SpoonTon

There's no doubt that full time football at this level is a bit of an economic gamble for players later on in their careers. The bulk of the squad at Morton though are in their early 20s, doing something that most of them will enjoy and on top of their wages can enjoy the minor status that comes with being a professional footballer, that being a shelf-stacker at ASDA or 99% of other jobs in the economy do not have.

It's a no-brainer for them, which is why the economics of full-time football in the Championship still work perfectly well year after year.

3 hours ago, Randy Giles said:

That's why I said "almost the whole window". We seem to be good at throwing folk in at the tail end of it, but we're in a position now that I don't think we can afford to do that with.

Agreed. We have a very favourable set of fixtures during the transfer window, but if Oyenuga is stinking the place out throughout then we could easily drop much closer to the midtable pack and be knocked out of the cup. Given that we probably needed a forward prior to Quitongo's injury on December 10 anyway (and could have binned Oyenuga to help do so), the club has had plenty of time to identify targets.

I disagree. The problem in the runner season was that we never pushed the boat out in the January window. Despite desperately needing a striker we only managed to bring in Colin McMenamin, and only because the Easdales paid the guys wages. That was the moment when Rae's ambition ended.

This guy's a serious oddball but he's spot on. Peaso is also in record as saying if we'd bolstered the squad in January we'd have won the league. Rae spat the dummy as our crowds were shite that season; irony being a large part of that was down to Rae and the fact the stay away fans never truly believed we were serious about getting to the SPL. They were correct btw just as they still are today. GTF Rae.

1 hour ago, LargsTON said:

This guy's a serious oddball but he's spot on. Peaso is also in record as saying if we'd bolstered the squad in January we'd have won the league. Rae spat the dummy as our crowds were shite that season; irony being a large part of that was down to Rae and the fact the stay away fans never truly believed we were serious about getting to the SPL. They were correct btw just as they still are today. GTF Rae.

I'll take that as a compliment. :thumsup2