The Greenock Morton Thread - It's Better Than Yours

As mentioned earlier it's one position we could take the hit on. Always disappointing to lose a good player, but I'm also a fan of Kilday who unfortunately lost his spot in the team due to the exceptional form of Gunning.

Priority now a striker or two if we now have more funds available with Gavin's departure!   

1 minute ago, gy diamond said:

Was just coming on here to ask what sort of a player we are getting but going by all of your reactions I'm guessing a good one.

Not just saying this but you have a fantastic player in Gunning

2 hours ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

PS:

The last time we pushed the boat out on wages to try and get promotion...

Capture.PNG

The following season when we had to cut back...

1.PNG

I disagree. The problem in the runner season was that we never pushed the boat out in the January window. Despite desperately needing a striker we only managed to bring in Colin McMenamin, and only because the Easdales paid the guys wages. That was the moment when Rae's ambition ended.

6 minutes ago, Dr Watson said:

I disagree. The problem in the runner season was that we never pushed the boat out in the January window. Despite desperately needing a striker we only managed to bring in Col in McMenamin, and only because the Easdales paid the guys wages. That was the moment when Rae's ambition ended.

That makes very little sense. McMenamin wasn't a striker brought in on the cheap, so the problem wasn't failing to bring in a striker - it was with Moore bringing in the werong player and messing with the balance of the team. The bigger problem was with Moore not putting together a good enough squad.

13 minutes ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

We thought the same thing when we signed him funnily enough

We didn't really. Lamie, Kilday and Pepper from our defensive pool were out injured and Russell had just been sent off so had a suspension. We needed cover. Was Doyle not played in central defence as a result?

Well if Grimsby don't need him right now, we will happily take him back on loan if they pay his wages!

10 minutes ago, sjc said:

You're not serious are you?!

2 minutes ago, SuperTon said:

McAleer, McNeil and Tennant would've been on peanuts. Don't know how much Gunning would've been on but don't see it all adding up to £1200.

£1200 a week for 3 players and a development player is heehaw. I'm sure McNeil and Gunning would've been on 400/450 each a week whilst they were here and McAleer on a bit less. 

2 minutes ago, Scosha said:

£1200 a week for 3 players and a development player is heehaw. I'm sure McNeil and Gunning would've been on 400/450 each a week whilst they were here and McAleer on a bit less. 

McNeil and Gunning are senior pros.....surely on more than that?!