The Greenock Morton Thread - It's Better Than Yours

19 hours ago, Jamie_M said:

You have added the 'as long as Imrie is manager' bit in a (failed) attempt to make an irrelevant quote relevant to the point raised.

So there's no interview that shows there was any fallout whatsoever.

An out of contract player, was told he wasn't getting an offer, his contract wasn't being renewed, it was time to explore other options, his future lay elsewhere, he has no future here. 

Pretty simple stuff. Exact same conversation, hundreds of players have every year.

I'll ask again. Why do you continue to try to dress that conversation up as something sinister rather than an absolutely normal exchange?

Several Morton fans read that same article and came on here with similar opinions to myself. Why would I choose to dress something up when it spoke for itself?

12 minutes ago, DreamOakTree1 said:

Several Morton fans read that same article and came on here with similar opinions to myself. Why would I choose to dress something up when it spoke for itself?

You've quite literally tried to dress "you have no future here" up as "I don't like you, GTF."

Edited by ClydeTon
typo

Strapp was always going to be diplomatic in how he answers questions like that. He's not going to say he was released because he was facing long term injury, because Imrie thought he was poor in training, because Imrie thought he wasn't good enough for the first team, because the club couldn't afford his demands, etc - he's not going to say anything to potentially devalue himself as he waited for his next professional contract. He said the minimum he needed to say to answer that question pragmatically.

I don't think Strapp or even the sham journalist who reported his words could've imagined that completely mundane answer turning into a conspiracy theory where someone pretends to boycott Cappielow and comes up with a fantasy story where MCT throws Imrie under the bus, forces him to play youth players, and bring back Strapp.

The whole argument that Imrie has a burning hatred for academy players is wild in itself but surely there's no one that genuinely thinks he should be giving the young boys more game time than they're already getting?

Every member of the first team squad was given their current contract by Imrie so if there are 16 year old boys who've only ever played under-18s football down the Battery Park that deserve a start over Imrie's players then we're goosed.

It's a wild suggestion. The young lads may well turn into Championship quality players (O'Boy in particular on first viewing) but I'd be far more concerned at Imrie throwing them in at the deep end when we're bottom of the league than I am right now.

5 hours ago, DreamOakTree1 said:

Several other Morton fans, most of whom expected to lose Strapp anyway, might very well have posted their surprise that Strapp wasn't being offered a new contract and released without a fight.

Others, saw the manager have a straight pick between 2 players - an out of contract injured Strapp, or the player brought in from a higher level to replace him.

There was no room in the budget for both.

The fact that we are a full 5 months into the season before Strapp has thrown a ball in anger and the fact that no other club has been prepared to take the chance on him shows that decision as very much the correct one.

Edited by Jamie_M

On 10/12/2023 at 16:12, DreamOakTree1 said:

Lewis Strapp revealed that Dougie told him several months before he was released, that he had no future at Cappielow as long as Imrie was manager. He said he asked for a reason and wasn't given one.

That's complete fucking fabrication. Lewis Strapp was ACTUALLY told that he 'didn't fit into Dougie's plans for this season'. Different story altogether. Whatever decisions a first-team manager makes about his squad is his business, and his alone. Any amount of moon-howling and chest-thumping from fans is irrelevant. Furthermore, any conspiratorial rumours about off-pitch disharmony between the two of them is total speculation and guesswork. Unless you're actually a fly and were on the dressing-room wall for a few months? I honestly believe that you post this deluded shite just to wind people up - I really do.

On 09/12/2023 at 18:50, TONTROOPER said:

I am in two minds whether Dundee will want Tay;or French back at the window.

Tyler French IMO is a really solid player with enough pace and 'attack-from-the-back' mentality to be more than just a bog-standard RB hoofer. Just watch some DFC videos from early last season. I for one had very high hopes for the boy and thought he was a punt well worth taking. That said - he came to us from Dees to gain match fitness as part & parcel of his recovery from a serious (leg break) injury. It was always going to be a toss-up whether he'd shine or be shite. He started well enough, but was rank rotten thereafter. Not altogether his fault. Broken legs in fitba-world aren't easy to recover from, and my feeling is that Dees are carefully watching his progress before making a decision regarding his return. If he gets match-fit and back in our starting XI, I still believe the boy has a lot to offer.

On 11/12/2023 at 12:29, DreamOakTree1 said:

You’re totally ignoring the fact that Strapp was given training facilities with the squad at the start of the season.

Wouldn't have happened if Imrie had it in for him as you keep insisting.

You’re flogging a dead one here. Let it rest, ffs.

2 hours ago, DreamOakTree1 said:

Lewis Strapp was told he had no future at Cappielow long before he sustained his career threatening injury at Celtic Park. 

"Still a man hears what he wants to hear, and disregards the rest.......”

There go them goalposts shifting again.

You seriously suggesting now that Imrie, expecting to get performances out of his starting left back, told him a few months into the season that his time was up?

Ballpark then. If long before his January injury then, when was this falling out and Morton-career ending conversation?

2 hours ago, DreamOakTree1 said:

"Still a man hears what he wants to hear, and disregards the rest.......”

That's you, ya clown... how many times do you need to be told that money was a big part of Strapp having 'no future' at Cappielow?

Imrie looks at the number Strapp's agent hands him to re-sign... then looks at the number he can get (a fit) Waters for... it's that simple.

And, as you've been told over and over again, a. the fact that Strapp didn't get what he was after proves that Imrie was right; b. the fact that Strapp trained with us and has now re-signed proves that there was never any daft vandetta.

Just stop. We've got a game tonight.

Interesting take on people's assessment of his initial games.

QOS supporters seemed to think he was poor.

On arrival he was poor but I think had been Injured for part of the season.

He is now fit and up to match levels and showing up well.

Has been a good addition and as we all see with a decent squad and bench backup we are more competitive and able to get back up the table.

On 12/12/2023 at 15:52, Jamie_M said:

There go them goalposts shifting again.

You seriously suggesting now that Imrie, expecting to get performances out of his starting left back, told him a few months into the season that his time was up?

Ballpark then. If long before his January injury then, when was this falling out and Morton-career ending conversation?

Strapp says he has now been informed that he isn’t a part of Ton chief Dougie Imrie’s long term plans.

Strapp exclusively told the Tele: “I’ve found out that I'll not be involved in the gaffer’s plans for next year, which I just need to take in my stride now.

“I’ve got something concrete now that it’s time to shake hands and move on.

"I’ve been here for over ten years, the club’s all I've known so who knows, maybe having a new test, new surroundings might not be the worst thing for me in the long run.

"If I'm not in his plans or what he wants from the team then so be it."

Just now, DreamOakTree1 said:

Strapp says he has now been informed that he isn’t a part of Ton chief Dougie Imrie’s long term plans.

Strapp exclusively told the Tele: “I’ve found out that I'll not be involved in the gaffer’s plans for next year, which I just need to take in my stride now.

“I’ve got something concrete now that it’s time to shake hands and move on.

"I’ve been here for over ten years, the club’s all I've known so who knows, maybe having a new test, new surroundings might not be the worst thing for me in the long run.

"If I'm not in his plans or what he wants from the team then so be it."

As I remember it was quite near the start of the season. If I'm wrong and Dougie gave him the news in the treatment room, does that make it better or worse?