The Greenock Morton Thread - It's Better Than Yours

It's really 11 games, as the Airdrie Challenge Cup game finished 0-0. By the same token, last season's longest unbeaten run was 12 games. 

It should be mind-boggling that we've put together two such runs in back to back seasons - both are longer than any such unbeaten run in modern history at this level. In 95-96, our longest unbeaten run was 8 games (a much tougher challenge in that calibre of division undoubtedly); in 12-13, our best run was 9 unbeaten. It's the work of a genuine prodigy. 

It's a bit odd then to feel frustrated at the performance against Montrose given that context - but it was a frustrating performance regardless. Not least because if we don't step up the level significantly then that run will end against Arbroath - who have more than enough wins at Cappielow in the past 3 years to highlight that risk. 

Edited by vikingTON

40 minutes ago, Jamie_M said:

Unexpected.

It's a banana skin for Motherwell, they aren't doing too well.....We're on decent form and at home, has that novelty.

Is it more exciting than Partick v Livi, possibly....Livi are dire, but as above, the same could be said about Partick...in terms good form and at home, they disposed of Ross County.

Caley were mince the other Friday on TV so, Vs Hibs....nah.

Asides from Killie at home to Brora or Cove (if it ever goes ahead) the rest are meh, in my opinion.

Regardless, I'm happy with it on the TV being Outwith Greenock.

I reckon it'll be close, but 2-1 us... Kettlewell to have a meltdown.

Edit: Hibs playing on the Wednesday before so that makes sense. 

Edited by MORleyTON

35 minutes ago, Ferguson said:

Motherwell playing Saturday and Tuesday before we play them on the Friday, good opportunity to make the quarters here.

Plenty of practice for their goalie getting the ball out of the back of the net.

As they say practice makes perfect.

Edited by Paisley Ton
why

Magnificent news. I'd be very surprised if he hasn't left for a better offer by the summer of 2026, but it's great that he's committed for the time being and the club will get a better deal whenever that offer comes.

Excellent piece of business.

Even if Dougie were to leave before then it would be because he’s got us into a better state than we are at the moment, plus we’d be due some compensation for the remainder of his contract. *

* - even if some club tried to “do a Failkirk”.   😁

Has French improved any with you guys? The player we had before his injury last season is exactly what we are needing as a RWB but it never seemed to have happened with you guys.

Just now, Ludo*1 said:

Has French improved any with you guys? The player we had before his injury last season is exactly what we are needing as a RWB but it never seemed to have happened with you guys.

Not so far no. He's not awful by any means but he's the definite weak link in the team in my opinion although you can't argue with our defensive record recently which he's been a part of. He's certainly not a disaster or anything, but he's not reached the heights I hoped for when I saw Dundee fans' reactions to him joining us. 

He seems quite weak and his positional sense hasn't been great defensively at times. He's offered very little going forward and there's been no sign of any blistering pace that we were told he had when he signed. 

He's obviously had a bad injury so I have no idea what he was like before but on his showings with us I'd say lower championship/top of league one is his level currently. 

1 hour ago, port-ton said:

Not so far no. He's not awful by any means but he's the definite weak link in the team in my opinion although you can't argue with our defensive record recently which he's been a part of. He's certainly not a disaster or anything, but he's not reached the heights I hoped for when I saw Dundee fans' reactions to him joining us. 

He seems quite weak and his positional sense hasn't been great defensively at times. He's offered very little going forward and there's been no sign of any blistering pace that we were told he had when he signed. 

He's obviously had a bad injury so I have no idea what he was like before but on his showings with us I'd say lower championship/top of league one is his level currently. 

Pretty much sums French up tbh. He does a job but nothing out of the ordinary. Personal I don't think he's a premier league player.

1 hour ago, Mr.Blue said:

Pretty much sums French up tbh. He does a job but nothing out of the ordinary. Personal I don't think he's a premier league player.

Agreed - certainly a clear level below Grimshaw's performances last season, who must only be down here for the money.

That said, we have suffered from genuinely hopeless players in full back positions before and French isn't actually in that category. He just hasn't been anywhere near as good as billed when he signed, and the rest of the team has been performing consistently well.