Parking fines

I've been getting letters through the door for a while now about a parking fine. It was claimed I stayed longer than the agreed 3 hours in Hamilton Asda car park. I quite clearly didn't, so have been ignoring the letters and binning them.

I got a letter at the weekend, from 'Zenith Collections'. Says they've now taken on the debt and will be chasing me for it before court action. Have offered to take reduced £80 fee to settle, rather than the full £120 fine.

What's the script with this lot? Do I carry on and ignore?

Ignore them, same company sent me letters for 8 months before stopping at the turn of the year. Got nearly 30 "final notice" letters from them :lol:

That's what jumped out for me, the parking guy is on about how the court backed them up, no it didn't, it didn't go that far.

Exactly had it gone as far as court he probably would have had to pay f**k all because there charge notices have no legal standing in Scotland.

• 2 weeks later...

See 'permit holder only' areas - they're only in effect during times when there are restrictions on parking, aren't they?

I mean, if the parking restrictions only cover Mondays to Fridays, you don't need a permit to park in 'permit holder only' areas on Saturdays and Sundays - that's right isn't it?

See 'permit holder only' areas - they're only in effect during times when there are restrictions on parking, aren't they?

I mean, if the parking restrictions only cover Mondays to Fridays, you don't need a permit to park in 'permit holder only' areas on Saturdays and Sundays - that's right isn't it?

http://www.edinburgh.gov.uk/info/20083/parking_permits/443/residents_permits_terms_and_conditions

Restrictions just now are Mon-Sat 8.30-6.30.

Edinburgh council are also trying to push through having to pay for all parking on a sunday also. They are trying to get it in force in the next few weeks apparently.

Edited by supermik

http://www.edinburgh.gov.uk/info/20083/parking_permits/443/residents_permits_terms_and_conditions

Restrictions just now are Mon-Sat 8.30-6.30.

Edinburgh council are also trying to push through having to pay for all parking on a sunday also. They are trying to get it in force in the next few weeks apparently.

Cheers, mik. :)

We've being parking around Merchiston on match days - I think the parking restrictions are Monday to Friday there - folk seem to be able to park in the 'permit holders only' areas without getting a ticket.

• 1 month later...

Got a private parking fine in the underground car park where I stay. My parking permit/pass had slipped to the side of the dashboard which would have made it difficult to see (Permit is supposed to be on view at all times)

Ignored the first few letters but I am now getting letters from a solicitor demanding payment or else court action will be taken.

Just best to keep ignoring or mention I have a valid pass which just fell to the side of the dash?

Got a private parking fine in the underground car park where I stay. My parking permit/pass had slipped to the side of the dashboard which would have made it difficult to see (Permit is supposed to be on view at all times)

Ignored the first few letters but I am now getting letters from a solicitor demanding payment or else court action will be taken.

Just best to keep ignoring or mention I have a valid pass which just fell to the side of the dash?

Surely the permit is issued to the car and one quick check of the license numbet would have shown that the vehicle was permitted.

Tell them to shove it..

Can you not just say you left the pass clearly visible, or do they take pictures for evidence? Could be worth asking around your neighbours, someone else must have gone through it.

This is not the same as the old fines for not displaying your VED disc (now no longer required). What this is in effect a "breach of contract" where you have agreed to display the permit or face a penalty clause to pay if you do not. It's quite sensible for it to be a mandatory requirement of permit private parking to display the disc as this makes chancers easier to identify. However the level of compensation to the scheme provider is what is questionable. Any more than would be considered reasonable in the admin to give you a written "ticking off" could be construed as unfair terms and conditions as this is effectively covered under consumer law as you are purchasing a parking service/renting a space. I would write to the company (copy their solicitor) and apologising for the oversight (and make clear that you did display, however due to unforeseen circumstances, the permit slipped down side of dash) ask how they arrive at their failure to display charge. If they at any time call it a "fine" then it is not legally enforceable. Keep the argument going, until they give up. A couple of letters should do. I am sure that this will not go to court.