Yet another US shooting

I always say that the best people to follow regarding these things are @ShirazMaher and @rcallimachi on Twitter.  The former has posted about this claim - says the best thing to do at this point is to verify the source of the claim.  Has it come from the same place as previous, verified claims, or is it false?  If it comes from genuine ISIS links then there could be something to it.

Rukmini tweeted last night about the recent knife attack in Marsielles.  She pointed out that Isis don't claim everything - there was an attack in Edmonton at the weekend where an attacker with an ISIS flag rammed a police checkpoint and got out and stabbed a policeman.  He escaped, was captured hours later and is now in custody.  He's previously been questioned by Canadian security services as a risk.  ISIS haven't claimed that one.

15 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

ISIS have released a statement on their Amaq news agency claiming responsibility for the Las Vegas shooting.  Says the shooter converted to Islam a few months ago.

On a similar note I'd like to claim sole responsibility for PSG's 3-0  win over Bayern , bringing the Columbian Government and Farc to  the negotiating table and writing the good bits in Hamlet

Edited by topcat(The most tip top)

2 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

On a similar note I'd like to claim sole responsibility for PSG's 3-0  win over Bayern , bringing the Columbian Government and Farc to  the negotiating table and writing the good bits in Hamlet

pn.jpg.35e14da800082d27b6125c4a51ba2827.jpg

6 minutes ago, kilbowie2002 said:

Didnt even mention the word gun. Just all prayers and thoughts facebook friendly pish. Hearing on NBC that the ammo used was a kind of hollow point designed to destroyed the insides of whatever it hits. How is that for sport?

American squirrels must be hardy wee buggers.

28 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

I always say that the best people to follow regarding these things are @ShirazMaher and @rcallimachi on Twitter.  The former has posted about this claim - says the best thing to do at this point is to verify the source of the claim.  Has it come from the same place as previous, verified claims, or is it false?  If it comes from genuine ISIS links then there could be something to it.

Rukmini tweeted last night about the recent knife attack in Marsielles.  She pointed out that Isis don't claim everything - there was an attack in Edmonton at the weekend where an attacker with an ISIS flag rammed a police checkpoint and got out and stabbed a policeman.  He escaped, was captured hours later and is now in custody.  He's previously been questioned by Canadian security services as a risk.  ISIS haven't claimed that one.

Those kinds of nuances don't really fit into the social media/reactionary timeline, as it were.  It's easy to claim ISIS claim everything, when in actual fact they don't.  It'd doesn't help when everything posted on Amaq is dutifully rehashed as "IS has claimed....".   Amaq is their media outlet of choice, but it isn't IS itself, otherwise it would have been shut down long ago.  It's merely a speculative conduit, much as the Guardian serves as the mouthpiece of the Labour Party.  As Welshbairn points out, Amaq often attributes stuff to IS when it has nothing to do with them.  Often, the sign of Amaq announcing it is a sign that it may not be the case.

That being said, in events such as Manchester, there is a verifiable claim which comes first, often, through Amaq.  What doesn't happen is that IS themselves back up the Amaq claim if there's no truth to it.  

The Egyptian airline disaster, for example, is generally regarded as a terrorist incident.  IS has never claimed responsibility for it.

Anyway, the point is that the claiming of credit for terrorist atrocities is very subtle, although the reaction to it often is not.  In these cases, it's far better to follow the academics than even the broadsheet journalists.

13 minutes ago, kilbowie2002 said:

Didnt even mention the word gun. Just all prayers and thoughts facebook friendly pish. Hearing on NBC that the ammo used was a kind of hollow point designed to destroyed the insides of whatever it hits. How is that for sport?

I don't know the exact details but i think its designed to basically shatter into small pieces when it hits you. But the fact some idiot in the US can buy ammo like that for an assault rifle and no-one thinks twice is terrifying.

The Wikipedia description is rather horrific.

"Hollow points are designed to increase in diameter once within the target, thus maximizing tissue damage and blood loss or shock, and to remain inside the target, thereby transferring all of the kinetic energy to the target (whereas some fraction would remain in the bullet if it passed through instead). Both of these goals are meant to maximize stopping power."

8 minutes ago, EdgarusQPFC said:

I don't know the exact details but i think its designed to basically shatter into small pieces when it hits you. But the fact some idiot in the US can buy ammo like that for an assault rifle and no-one thinks twice is terrifying.

The Wikipedia description is rather horrific.

"Hollow points are designed to increase in diameter once within the target, thus maximizing tissue damage and blood loss or shock, and to remain inside the target, thereby transferring all of the kinetic energy to the target (whereas some fraction would remain in the bullet if it passed through instead). Both of these goals are meant to maximize stopping power."

I thought hollow point ammunition would've been illegal for personal use purely based on Tony Soprano getting done for possessing it, but it seems from wiki that it's actually only illegal in New Jersey.  Mind boggling man. 

It's a myth they claim everything going either way. Think there has been ones in Scandinavia recently that had all the hall marks of Isis style attacks but which weren't claimed.

13 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

Anyway, the point is that the claiming of credit for terrorist atrocities is very subtle, although the reaction to it often is not.  In these cases, it's far better to follow the academics than even the broadsheet journalists.

I think that's correct, they are often less likely to jump to conclusions.  I find @MaxAbrams has been an excellent follow on terrorism, although he is tweeting less recently due to writing a book.

What does "claiming responsibility" for anything actually fucking mean anyway?
Its a lot of utter propaganda bollocks.
In my opinion.

I also wonder who from ISIS comes forward to make their claim credible? Do they have an official spokesperson that can be relied on as a credible source or is it just any old Jihad on Twitter?

7 minutes ago, Brother Blades said:

If it's a "lone wolf" attack, i fully expect Trumpet to ignore this as much as possible, much like he has the Puerto Rico crisis, but those uppity niggas in the NFL need sacked. America is a very damaged nation & I hope it explodes.

ETA - run@Raidernation, run. Swampy can stay.

Indeed.

The Trump presidency empowers these "lone wolves". Combine that with a chronic lack of mental health care and a masculine attachment to guns, it's a horrible combinations.

Just now, throbber said:

I also wonder who from ISIS comes forward to make their claim credible? Do they have an official spokesperson that can be relied on as a credible source or is it just any old Jihad on Twitter?

The IRA used to have a code word they shared with the police to prove they were genuine.