Yet another US shooting

13 minutes ago, TheProgressiveLiberal said:

No. The point is that there are 300 million guns in America now. No law is going to change that. Guns are going to be as easy to get as pot if you want to do something like this for a long, long time no matter what the law. And if you couldn't get a gun it's easy enough to build a bomb or use a truck. This type of attack cannot be stopped if someone is willing to spend thousands of dollars and invest weeks of planning,

Gun control would stop some domestic violence deaths. Not terrorism, not gang shootings, and not most mass shootings.

Gun control doesn't work in 99% of the world. Not in Mexico. Not in South Africa. 

http://www.theonion.com/article/no-way-prevent-says-only-nation-where-regularly-ha-57086

‘No Way To Prevent This,’ Says Only Nation Where This Regularly Happens

Edited by Miguel Sanchez

3 minutes ago, kilbowie2002 said:

For those asking how he got all the bags into the hotel with the guns, you could break down one rifle into something that would fit into a rucksack, vegas hotels are used to people checking in loads of luggage no questions asked, wife and I checked in with 4 suitcases and 2 hand luggage bags, could easily get ten guns and ammo in with that. Also given the sin city nature of vegas and the yanks opposition to even legal stop searches its never going to happen that they would accept that 'restriction of liberty'. Looking all over the news channels and online its still expressions of shock and disbelief that are being shared, the only shock and disbelief from me is that it didnt happen a hell of a lot sooner, you've got 20,000 people in a confined area, excellent vantage point for a sniper to fire freely into a crowd. When we were in vegas last week there was a similar music festival at the other end of the strip, near the Stratosphere which could easily have been targeted. Crush injuries probably hurt just as many as gun shot wounds.
The rhetoric continues to be thoughts and prayers and god getting them through it, you'd think though that they'd see it as their god sending a message to control guns.

Why the f**k did you have 6 suitcases/carry on cases? Are you flogging JC Penney clothes on Ebay? Agree it would have been about the easiest thing going to get the guns in. The worrying thing is massacre followed by suicide or death by cop seems to be growing in popularity, in this case by the retired accountant community.

2 minutes ago, TheProgressiveLiberal said:

Demographics are different. 

Culture is different.

This man would have been able to kill dozens no matter what law was in place if he set out to do so.

In most countries 64 year old accountants affluent enough to holiday in a reasonably priced hotel tend not to have access to the black market. 

The videos are just horrendous. Carnage. It defies belief that people can go into places and buy these weapons. 500 people injured is almost as terrible as the number of people killed. These types of guns are for killing as many people as you can as quickly as you can, i.e for warfare. Not hunting elk or protecting yourself in the unlikely event of a robbery or burglary.

How the f**k can the NRA and the rest of the opponents of gun control justify owning these?

10 minutes ago, The OP said:

In most countries 64 year old accountants affluent enough to holiday in a reasonably priced hotel tend not to have access to the black market. 

64 year old accountants in Scotland can't get weed or hookers. That's roughly the level of work it would take to get a gun in the US if they were banned tomorrow. 

And as you all should know, guns aren't the only way to kill dozens if that's what you set out to do. 

Again, gun control would stop domestic violence and accidents, which are a huge percentage of shootings in America. A guy determined to be a mass murderer is going to be able to do it no matter what the laws.

1 minute ago, placidcasual said:

The videos are just horrendous. Carnage. It defies belief that people can go into places and buy these weapons. 500 people injured is almost as terrible as the number of people killed. These types of guns are for killing as many people as you can as quickly as you can, i.e for warfare. Not hunting elk or protecting yourself in the unlikely event of a robbery or burglary.

How the f**k can the NRA and the rest of the opponents of gun control justify owning these?

Nobody advocates for allowing automatic guns to be legal. They aren't in 99.99% of cases. Haven't been for 80 years.

18 minutes ago, TheProgressiveLiberal said:

Demographics are different. 

Culture is different.

This man would have been able to kill dozens no matter what law was in place if he set out to do so.

Culture as in nation full of ultra violent mentalists with near unlimited access to deadly firearms? That what you mean. Does sound different to all the other developed nations right enough.

Disgraceful whataboutery. Are you actually looking at those figures?

Edited by GiGi

2 minutes ago, placidcasual said:

It's so armed militias can rush to the defence of their country should Britain decide to invade and take back what is rightfully theirs.

3 minutes ago, GiGi said:

Culture is nation full of ultra violent mentalists with near unlimited access to deadly firearms? That what you mean. Does sound different to all the other developed nations right enough.

Disgraceful whataboutery. Are you actually looking at those figures?

Most of the difference with other developed nations is due to our black gang population. Take them out and our murder rates are much, much closer to Europe. Gun control isn't going to take guns out of the hands of black gangs, just like it doesn't keep the IRA from owning guns. Organized criminals will always get guns. We have a higher percentage of our population involved in organized gangs.

Edited by TheProgressiveLiberal

20 minutes ago, TheProgressiveLiberal said:

64 year old accountants in Scotland can't get weed or hookers. That's roughly the level of work it would take to get a gun in the US if they were banned tomorrow. 

And as you all should know, guns aren't the only way to kill dozens if that's what you set out to do. 

Again, gun control would stop domestic violence and accidents, which are a huge percentage of shootings in America. A guy determined to be a mass murderer is going to be able to do it no matter what the laws.

There would be far less interest in selling guns. It's a one time purchase and therefore you'd need to set the price pretty high. Weed and hookers are repeat purchases and so more widely available. 

I'd liken the use of guns in mass murder to the rule about buying more than 3 packets of painkillers. People argue it doesn't do anything but in fact it does reduce suicide, because suicide is often an histrionic and impulsive response which loses its appeal if there are minor hassles involved. I'd guess most mass shootings are similar. Not many mass shooters could be arsed taking a 20 week bomb building course.

I really think America's obsession with guns is down to a weird shitebagness, on average they seem to fear criminals to an extent that it is completely out of kilter with reality.

Edited by The OP

1 minute ago, The OP said:

There would be far less interest in selling guns. It's a one time purchase and therefore you'd need to set the price pretty high. Weed and hookers are repeat purchases and so more widely available. 

I'd liken the use of guns in mass murder to the rule about buying more than 3 packets of painkillers. People argue it doesn't do anything but in fact it does reduce suicide, because suicide tends is often an histrionic and impulsive response which loses its appeal if there are minor hassles involved. I'd guess most mass shootings are similar. Not many mass shooters could be arsed taking a 20 week bomb building course.

I really think America's obsession with guns is down to a weird shitebagness, on average they seem to fear criminals to an extent that it is completely out of kilter with reality.

1. You are right about the painkiller analogy, but that's the domestic violence part of our gun crime. This was not impulsive, and almost all mass shootings are highly planned. They cannot be stopped by gun control.

2. Americans are scared of criminals because our criminals are basically the most violent people on earth. It's not like Scotland. We have to deal with our society as it is. 

Just now, The OP said:

I think I'm correct in saying an awful lot of the IRAs guns came from the USA :lol:

The other side's guns did not.

3 minutes ago, mjw said:

Wondered when the blacks would get dragged into the white murderers story.

You're as predictable as f**k Mike.

It has to be brought up when dealing with the type of stats that the pro-gun control people trot out.