Yet another US shooting

31 minutes ago, dee_62 said:

I'd fear for the lion in that case...unless it was a sea lion, that could probably out-swim a shark.

"No, I don't like you. I think you're a fake cop. The sound of your piss hitting the urinal, it sounds feminine. If you were in the wild, I would attack you, even if you weren't in my food chain. I would go out of my way to attack you. If I were a lion and you were a tuna, I would swim out in the middle of the ocean and freaking eat you and then I'd bang your tuna girlfriend."

"OK, first off: a lion, swimming in the ocean. Lions don't like water. If you placed it near a river or some sort of fresh water source, that make sense. But you find yourself in the ocean, 20 foot wave, I'm assuming off the coast of South Africa, coming up against a full grown 800 pound tuna with his 20 or 30 friends, you lose that battle, you lose that battle 9 times out of 10. And guess what, you've wandered into our school of tuna and we now have a taste of lion. We've talked to ourselves. We've communicated and said 'You know what, lion tastes good, let's go get some more lion'. We've developed a system to establish a beach-head and aggressively hunt you and your family and we will corner your pride, your children, your offspring.

We will construct a series of breathing apparatus with kelp. We will be able to trap certain amounts of oxygen. It's not gonna be days at a time. An hour? Hour forty-five? No problem. That will give us enough time to figure out where you live, go back to the sea, get some more oxygen, and stalk you. You just lost at your own game. You're outgunned and out-manned.

Did that go the way you thought it was gonna go? Nope."

Edited by Thistle_do_nicely

Problem is, if somebody genuinely comes on here for a genuine discussion of these issues, the complete nonsense spouted by two posters needs to be challenged.    It detracts from the thread, but unless everyone puts them on ignore, or doesn't quote them, it's very hard to avoid the thread getting derailed.  

Trolls don't need to be challenged. It's the responders putting people off.

20 hours ago, TheProgressiveLiberal said:

Most of the difference with other developed nations is due to our black gang population. Take them out and our murder rates are much, much closer to Europe. Gun control isn't going to take guns out of the hands of black gangs, just like it doesn't keep the IRA from owning guns. Organized criminals will always get guns. We have a higher percentage of our population involved in organized gangs.

Murder rates in the United States are five times higher than the United Kingdom. 

Although death by firearms is usually higher in the black community than in the white community it's often not by much with a few exceptional hot spots such as Illinois or Michigan. 

In California it's 8 white deaths to 18 black deaths - roughly twice as many per 100,000.  In Texas it's 11 to 16.  In New York, which funnily enough has some of the strictest anti gun laws in the United States it's 3 to 8.  In Nevada it's 15 to 18.  Georgia 13 to 17, and so forth.

So while black gang violence certainly results in higher deaths per 100,000, perhaps roughly two times the rate overall,  it doesn't go anywhere near explaining the exceptionally higher murder rate of the United States.

1 hour ago, doulikefish said:

I feel dead stupid now i didnt realise theres guns that kill white people and guns that kill black people

No, no, no!

Terrorists and gangbangers kill whites, cops kill blacks!

13 hours ago, Fide said:

So out of 'Murica's 50 states, only 8 have white murder rates lower than Scotland?

Scotland has some pretty mental places.  Not a great stat, bucko.

I've never argued against the idea that America is a more violent place than Scotland. We are. But when people put up those graphs comparing Europe murder rates to America and then pat themselves on the back I feel the need to point out the truth. America has to deal with the legacy of being a slave society in addition to a settler society. Our history as a slave society is the reason for the massive difference, not our gun laws. No laws are going to change the behavior of black gangs, which is what you need to do in order to bring down the murder rate to more standard Western numbers.

11 hours ago, Jambomo said:

Surely that is indicative of how bad the mindset is in America towards guns though?

Guns are dangerous weapons which have no purpose other than to kill things. They ought to be feared, in the same way that  seeing a lion or a shark in the sea would make someone fearful. Fear is the correct human response to such an object.

Getting shot in America isn't down to maths. When you add up not just events like these, but accidental deaths, deaths from being shot in minor crimes, arguments, etc etc then you can't say "statistically i'm not likely to be shot in a mass shooting" and think you'll be fine when being shot is so commonplace now in the US, its now simply a matter of luck.

Almost everyone I knew growing up had guns. Most of the people I know now have them. I've never once felt scared. 

It is not commonplace to be shot in America. Especially if you are not a criminal.

4 hours ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

Murder rates in the United States are five times higher than the United Kingdom. 

Although death by firearms is usually higher in the black community than in the white community it's often not by much with a few exceptional hot spots such as Illinois or Michigan. 

In California it's 8 white deaths to 18 black deaths - roughly twice as many per 100,000.  In Texas it's 11 to 16.  In New York, which funnily enough has some of the strictest anti gun laws in the United States it's 3 to 8.  In Nevada it's 15 to 18.  Georgia 13 to 17, and so forth.

So while black gang violence certainly results in higher deaths per 100,000, perhaps roughly two times the rate overall,  it doesn't go anywhere near explaining the exceptionally higher murder rate of the United States.

I'm going to need to see your sources.

According to the FBI, in 2015 52.3% of murder victims were black. They are 13.3% of the population.

7,039 black murder victims out of 43 million black people. 5,854 white murder victims out of 247 million white people.

Also, it's impossible to really get the 100% real white numbers, because the government doesn't separate out Hispanics from white in their crime reports. 

https://www.usnews.com/news/articles/2016-09-29/race-and-homicide-in-america-by-the-numbers

The murder rate per 100,000 is nowhere near as close to the difference you describe. It's the difference between being slightly higher than Western Europe for white Americans and being as bad as any 3rd world country for black Americans.