Yet another US shooting

6 hours ago, DigOutYourSoul said:

I'm over in the states just now and the way this is being reported is crazy. I've had CNN, Fox and CBS on today and there's been barley any talk of guns/access to guns being an issue.

To me that's symptomatic of the issue, an issue that will never change.

In any other country 500 people being injured by a pre-planned, well executed attack like this would cause serious questions to be asked about how someone managed to get access to this kind of killing power. But here it's fully accepted.

I've spoken to a few Americans by the pool today and it's just re-affirmed to me the fact that they've now gone beyond the point of no return when it comes to guns and this is just a consequence of the environment that is NRA America.

A large percentage of us grew up around guns, so we don't have a fear of them. We can do the math in our head on the likelihood of being killed in an event like this. It's so low as to not even register. 

7 hours ago, ICTChris said:

One of the attackers brothers has said that he wasn't a gun nut or even interested in them. Apparently his dad was a convicted bank robber, a diagnosed psychopath who had been on the FBIs most wanted.

His neighbours have said he was a weirdo because he was so quiet.

Maybe he just hated country and western music?

1 hour ago, TheProgressiveLiberal said:

A large percentage of us grew up around guns, so we don't have a fear of them. We can do the math in our head on the likelihood of being killed in an event like this. It's so low as to not even register. 

Hmm

Maybe if you used the " math" to calculate  Americans + guns = Dangerous , then maybe you would have more  fear of them 

8 hours ago, Jimmy85 said:

Old man. Poor eyesight. I know some posters have joked about it but it genuinely could've been accidental. 

Aye, he was probably trying to scare away the pigeons.

“This is the price of freedom. Violent nuts are allowed to roam free until they do damage, no matter how threatening they are.”
L2ltYWdlcy92aWRlb3NjcmVlbnMvbnNuMjAxNzEwMDIucG5n_H_SW300.jpg
https://www.billoreilly.com/b/Mass-Murder-in-Las-Vegas/851098107399788721.html

Bill O’Reilly is a sex pest, a racist, a homophobe, blind to logic and only capable of single clause sentences, but he’s still not the dumbest person (formerly)on Fox (Carlson) or the most bigoted (Hannity).

These guys and Infowars are laughable. Their only defence is “but but but civil liberties... but but but Ferguson”.

On that note, at some point over the last week, Joseph Paul Watson made the jump from cognitively challenged conspiracy loonball into out-and-out KKK apologist.

2 hours ago, TheProgressiveLiberal said:

The following states have white murder rates lower than Scotland, despite our gun ownership: New Hampshire, Minnesota, Iowa, North Dakota, Nebraska, South Dakota, Illinois, and Wisconsin.

So out of 'Murica's 50 states, only 8 have white murder rates lower than Scotland?

Scotland has some pretty mental places.  Not a great stat, bucko.

6 minutes ago, Fide said:

So out of 'Murica's 50 states, only 8 have white murder rates lower than Scotland?

Scotland has some pretty mental places.  Not a great stat, bucko.

To be fair if you remove a lot of the poor people who face widespread institutional prejudice from Scotland's statistics we've got lower white murder rates than those States. 

Trying to argue with Americans on Twitter who are calling themselves “Peaceful gun owners” is a bit of an uphill struggle tbh when their arguments seem to be along the lines of “Cars and lorries can kill people too, why not ban them?” The most annoying thing is that they would be the first people demanding that action must be taken if it was a Muslim attacker despite the absolute minute number of Americans that have been killed in Muslim terror attacks since 9/11 (which probably wasn’t Muslims anyway). Toddlers shooting adults being a bigger killer and also adults accidentally shooting themselves by looking down the barrel of a gun and pulling the trigger to investigate what is wrong with their gun being a common killer there also. It seriously is just an impossible argument to have with some people.

Also the killer had gambling transactions that were in the tens of thousands although it was unclear whether they were wins or losses for him. Maybe he had a massive win and decided to go on a killing spree with the winnings in an attempt to go down as the biggest gun killer in US history, or just took out his massive loss on a large bunch of people. Either way it seemed like he gave the killing quite an amount of planning.

Most of our murders involve petty gangsters feuding with each other or drug turf wars, no matter how many relatives feed the papers the old "quiet boy/heart of gold" line.

Scotland's had one mass shooting in our history - one! - and it forced a fundamental change in the laws involving handgun ownership throughout the UK.

America's had 1516 mass shootings in the last 1735 days. The solution?

More guns.

6 minutes ago, Hillonearth said:

Most of our murders involve petty gangsters feuding with each other or drug turf wars, no matter how many relatives feed the papers the old "quiet boy/heart of gold" line.

Scotland's had one mass shooting in our history - one! - and it forced a fundamental change in the laws involving handgun ownership throughout the UK.

More guns.

The only thing that can stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun apparently. This really is a brainwashed outlook on the problem from people who can't imagine a country where ordinary people can't readily get their hands on guns.

There was a time when these incidents used to shock me but that time has long since past. Nothing will change, guns and gun culture are ingrained into their society. Reckon we should just leave them to it and let them shoot up the whole fucking country. Stupid c***s!

35 minutes ago, Hillonearth said:

More guns.

That's not even one a day.  Don't see what all the fuss is about.

So you're at a festival when someone opens fire on the crowd. What do you do? Run? Hide? Of course not, you take out your mobile and start filming. Seriously these people get on my nerves so much. They deserve to be shot in the head.

Morons.

6 hours ago, TheProgressiveLiberal said:

Surely that is indicative of how bad the mindset is in America towards guns though?

Guns are dangerous weapons which have no purpose other than to kill things. They ought to be feared, in the same way that  seeing a lion or a shark in the sea would make someone fearful. Fear is the correct human response to such an object.

Getting shot in America isn't down to maths. When you add up not just events like these, but accidental deaths, deaths from being shot in minor crimes, arguments, etc etc then you can't say "statistically i'm not likely to be shot in a mass shooting" and think you'll be fine when being shot is so commonplace now in the US, its now simply a matter of luck.

Edited by Jambomo

from Rusty the redneck who was at the show and speaking on radio 4 this morning. “The biggest problem for me and for many was that we didn’t hear anybody returning fire. I’m very concerned that we had no one outside to protect us. Unfortunately for me being unarmed and unable to do a whole lot decided it was time to get out of there.”  These fuds all think they are John Rambo.