Yet another US shooting

10 hours ago, Fullerene said:

In America, even being on a terrorist watch list doesn't prevent you from buying a gun.  Can't get my head around that. 

It's because the terrorist watch list is full of people who shouldn't be on it, and there's no judicial review to challenge your placement. The President isn't allowed to draw up lists of people who can't exercise their constitutional rights, with no checks and balances.

Just now, TheProgressiveLiberal said:

It's because the terrorist watch list is full of people who shouldn't be on it, and there's no judicial review to challenge your placement. The President isn't allowed to draw up lists of people who can't exercise their constitutional rights, with no checks and balances.

Your current president shouldn't be trusted to draw up a fucking shopping list, let alone a terrorist watch list. 

1 hour ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Don't waste your time. It's all the fault of those pesky slaves. If they only had the intelligence not to get caught by those whiteys in Africa all them years ago, things would be so different.

The slaves were captured by other Africans. I suppose they were the losers in local wars, but I've never studied the topic.

20 minutes ago, kilbowie2002 said:

I shit you not fox news now suggesting he had secretly converted to islam.

Thank f*uck that's been made clear.  

The idea that we'd have to look out for another group of terrorists other that these pesky Muslims had me really worried.

4 hours ago, Raidernation said:

You live in America, right?

Do you think that people here are going to line up and turn in all their guns just because the government says, as in Australia?

Maybe a look at gun laws in South Africa and Brazil would be helpful.

Correct me if I'm wrong (and I'm not) but nowhere in that post do I suggest doing the same here as in Australia. I was, however, highlighting that those who argue that tighter gun laws don't reduce gun crime/deaths are no, in fact, 100% correct.

Personally, having taught in schools in Chicago where guns were a part of everyday life for the students, I think there's something really "messed up" about the US gun-lovin' psyche

11 minutes ago, John Lambies Doos said:

There seems to be a sudden increase of P&Bers who live in the states

There's a few who pretend to be Scottish on the Politics forum but they give themselves away by saying things like "God dang Yurp" and "Farage is one stand up Hombre" and the like. Then there's the Scot who pretends to be American.

1 minute ago, welshbairn said:

There's a few who pretend to be Scottish on the Politics forum but they give themselves away by saying things like "God dang Yurp" and "Farage is one stand up Hombre" and the like. Then there's the Scot who pretends to be American.

That would be our Catalan correspondent.