Yet another US shooting

11 hours ago, Raidernation said:

Correct me if I'm wrong (and I'm not) but nowhere in that post do I suggest doing the same here as in Australia. I was, however, highlighting that those who argue that tighter gun laws don't reduce gun crime/deaths are no, in fact, 100% correct.

Personally, having taught in schools in Chicago where guns were a part of everyday life for the students, I think there's something really "messed up" about the US gun-lovin' psyche

You get that the gun culture in rural Idaho is an entirely different animal than in Chicago? It's 180 degree opposite.

And yet gun control is trammelled by the same constitutional rights in both

You've made a good point there, possibly inadvertently

Gun laws vary from state to state. I think that Chicago (or Illinois more accurately) has pretty strong gun laws, I could be wrong though.

Anyway, the police have said that there are potential signs the shooter had over people in his suite. There was a charger found in his room that didn't match any of his phones. His wife has said she had concerns over his mental health.

The IRS has revealed that he registered $5m in gambling winnings last year.

27 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

Hence "Trammeled".

Chicago would have stronger Gun laws if the Supreme Court hadn't struck down their handgun ban in 2010

And Washington DC. Same people who bang on about State rights want people in States who are free to carry concealed or open guns to be able to do so anywhere in the US, including States who have rules about it. Nevada voted for tighter rules last year but the politicians managed to squash it. Rules that are popular and relatively harmless in rural districts are being imposed on urban areas against their will. 

I actually went and looked up a list of massacres in Australia. If you'll notice all the articles talking about gun control always slyly specify "gun massacres."

Between 1971, when modern massacres started in Australia, and 1996 when their strict gun laws were passed there were 16 mass killings. Between 1996 and present there were 10 mass killings. 3 were arsons with 199 dead. Only one of the pre gun control attacks was arson. I wonder if those people just switched tools. There were still two gun attacks. And of course there was the recent vehicle attack.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_massacres_in_Australia

19 hours ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

Hence "Trammeled".

Chicago would have stronger Gun laws if the Supreme Court hadn't struck down their handgun ban in 2010

Places can have different laws. What the Supreme Court said was that laws can't be so restrictive that law abiding citizens have no way to own a handgun in their own home. DC's was worse in that there was no legal way to get any gun into your house with the way the law was written.

If Chicago really wanted to reduce their gun violence they need to focus on criminals who own guns and the illegal gun market. The main reason that gun control isn't a winning issue for Democrats is that they tailor their policies towards reducing the ability of law abiding citizens to own guns, or increasing the bureaucracy they have to deal with. Even if gun control is popular by polls, people in favor aren't going to prioritize the issue as long as the laws are ineffectual laws aimed at law abiding people. Voters aren't stupid. They know where the gun threat comes from. 

10 minutes ago, TheProgressiveLiberal said:

I actually went and looked up a list of massacres in Australia. If you'll notice all the articles talking about gun control always slyly specify "gun massacres."

Between 1971, when modern massacres started in Australia, and 1996 when their strict gun laws were passed there were 16 mass killings. Between 1996 and present there were 10 mass killings. 3 were arsons with 199 dead. Only one of the pre gun control attacks was arson. I wonder if those people just switched tools. There were still two gun attacks. And of course there was the recent vehicle attack.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_massacres_in_Australia

Places can have different laws. What the Supreme Court said was that laws can't be so restrictive that law abiding citizens have no way to own a handgun in their own home. DC's was worse in that there was no legal way to get any gun into your house with the way the law was written.

If Chicago really wanted to reduce their gun violence they need to focus on criminals who own guns and the illegal gun market. The main reason that gun control isn't a winning issue for Democrats is that they tailor their policies towards reducing the ability of law abiding citizens to own guns, or increasing the bureaucracy they have to deal with. Even if gun control is popular by polls, people in favor aren't going to prioritize the issue as long as the laws are ineffectual laws aimed at law abiding people. Voters aren't stupid. They know where the gun threat comes from. 

With regard to massacres it's either from the quiet, inoffensive chap who lives round the corner and who always said "Good morning" or a mid life crisis man who had a troubled childhood and has just lost his job and his wife, and whose hobbies include shooting the neighbors' pets.

Well I'm convinced, abolish the UK and Australian gun laws and while we're at it revoke the 2nd Ammendment cheating ban on fully automatic weapons, never mind RPGs and tanks. If it was meant to defend the American people against its own government rather than the British why have any restrictions?

4 hours ago, Jacksgranda said:

With regard to massacres it's either from the quiet, inoffensive chap who lives round the corner and who always said "Good morning" or a mid life crisis man who had a troubled childhood and has just lost his job and his wife, and whose hobbies include shooting the neighbors' pets.

Right, but this isn't the gun crime that gets people voting. Somewhere around between .02 and .03 people per 100,000 (this number is from Slate using Mother Jones' database of mass shootings in public places) will engage in a Las  Vegas style public shooting of normal people for no discernable reason. It's way, way down the list of issues that people care about, even if you just look at crime issues. But it's the issue with guns that Democrats choose to push. So you're advocating laws that affect legal gun owners the most while affecting crime the least. It's terrible politics from a general election perspective.