2018 World Cup Qualifying Draw - 25th July

Slovenia and Slovakia are top of the visit list, 2 countries myself and a mate spoke about hoping we'd get them.

Slovakia was the one I wanted, so happy. Slovenia is excellent! Good food, good beer and the locals are spot on!!

• Replies 427
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Delighted with the group. I fully expect England to win it but Scotland surely have to be favourites for 2nd place.

The other teams in the group shouldn't be too difficult but the matches against Scotland will certainly be interesting!

Probably not...

Home Away Total Teams P W D L F A +/- Pts

svk.png Slovakia 6 6 0 0 13 3 10 18

esp.png Spain 6 5 0 1 15 3 12 15

ukr.png Ukraine 6 4 0 2 9 2 7 12

blr.png Belarus 6 1 1 4 4 11 -7 4

mkd.png FYR Macedonia 6 1 0 5 6 14 -8 3

lux.png Luxembourg 6 0 1 5 3 17 -14 1

Engalnd are a qualifying machine, they'll win the group in their usual bore-off manner. Slovakia are a tough nut though, if we get second it'll be a good showing.

Guest DAVIDB69

It's a decent group could have been a lot worse.

However we do seem as bad as England used to be at over estimating our abilities these days

Engalnd are a qualifying machine, they'll win the group in their usual bore-off manner. Slovakia are a tough nut though, if we get second it'll be a good showing.

Agreed. Slovenia have some very good players as well. Could see us finishing anywhere between 2nd and 4th

Going by previous qualifying campaigns, at least we'll be guaranteed to see one of our games on terrestrial TV <_<

Both England games will be on STV. The home game will also be on Sky.

I can't remember the last time a competitive Scotland home game was on "council telly". The home leg of the Euro 2000 play-off perhaps, or was that only on Sky?

Listening to 5Live in the car as the draw was being made. First pundit reaction was by Pat Nevin, who called it "our best draw in a generation", said he was "delighted" and basically had us and England down as dead certs top 2 with it almost toe-to-toe between us. Bit of an overreaction methinks. It's a middling sort of draw: could have been worse/could have been better. People underestimating Slovakia, not considering Slovenia or assuming that the rivalry with England somehow translates itself into points are doing so at their peril.

England spanked us in the autumn... Slovakia are clearly a decent team at the moment... Slovenia could be a bit tricky... and Malta are not quite in the San Marino, Gibraltar etc. category of turn-up and collect 6pts. By the same token England are not a world-beating Pot 1 team... Slovakia aren't Italy... we've avoided the worst loiterers in the lower pots... so we've a good opportunity of at least contesting for the playoff.

Saarland?

Saarland were a separate state from West Germany from after WWII until the late 1950s.

They were FIFA and UEFA members and their national team played full internationals including World Cup 1954 qualification: they actually finished above Norway and took qualification down to the last day, if they had beaten West Germany they would have forced a tie-break playoff. They lost.

FC Saarbrucken entered the first European Cup and won 4-3 against AC Milan, at the San Siro, in their R1 first leg. With 75 mins gone in the return leg it was 1-1 and they were progressing to face Rapid Vienna in R2 - but unfortunately they conceded thrice in the last quarter of an hour and were eliminated.

They and East Germany are the two European footballing countries no longer extant, but we played East Germany in Euro 1984 qualifying.

do you research football for a living? The amount of knowledge you possess is quite frightening!

Just a hobbyists interest. I'm more into footballing facts and quirks than pure stats anyway.

In this area I've just got an A4 sheet of squared paper, competition years along the columns and opponents down the rows.

Of course as a result of today's draw we tick off one of the countries we haven't met competitively before - Slovakia.

We played Czechoslovakia but Czech Republic are their successors.

Decent draw. Not the dream or nightmare scenario.

England should win the group without too much hassle and being asked to finish above Slovenia and Slovakia for a play-off is just about as good as it gets when you're in pot 3 and don't get a freakishly soft draw.

Slovakia are obviously on a bit of a hot streak at the moment. It'll be interesting to see how long that lasts. Obviously a very decent team but should be pretty beatable if we're on form.

How on Earth have I managed to avoid hearing anything about Saarland until now? :wacko:

Must admit that I wonder why the Czech Republic became analogous with Czechoslovakia, considering that Slovakia is hardly a wee sliver of the former country. Same goes for Russia and the USSR, to a lesser extent. I know it's common practice; just seems a little odd to me. Got to wonder how it works with trophies; seems unfair that Slovakia aren't considered former European Champions, and I wonder if youngsters from the former East Germany consider that their country has four World Cup wins. Well, taking the glory hunters out of the equation :P

I'd rather be in the groups where Wales, Romania, and Croatia are top seeds. I'm really happy I'm not in with Holland/France or Spain/Italy. No real surprise in that.

It's a middle of the road draw. I'm fairly certain that we won't win the group ahead of Engalnd but we have a decent chance of finishing second. Then we'll need to hope for a good draw in the play-offs. 2010, 2006, and 2002 were easier groups IMO, so I'm not having any talk of it being easy.

Why are we now being told by various UK press associations that "England have been drawn with Scotland..." rather than "England and Scotland have been drawn together..."?

Because it's a big conspiracy by them English mate.

Minter.

I'd rather be in the groups where Wales, Romania, and Croatia are top seeds. I'm really happy I'm not in with Holland/France or Spain/Italy. No real surprise in that.

It's a middle of the road draw. I'm fairly certain that we won't win the group ahead of Engalnd but we have a decent chance of finishing second. Then we'll need to hope for a good draw in the play-offs. 2010, 2006, and 2002 were easier groups IMO, so I'm not having any talk of it being easy.

That's a fair point, actually, although 2002 was possibly a wee bit more of a bugger.

We really fucked up that last World Cup qualifying group. A'body barring the Dutch were fucking rotten :(

That's a fair point, actually, although 2002 was possibly a wee bit more of a bugger.

We really fucked up that last World Cup qualifying group. A'body barring the Dutch were fucking rotten :(

It was Holland and Norway that finished above us that year, wasn't it? The Dutch side were very good but Norway were abysmal.

Archived