2018 World Cup Qualifying Draw - 25th July

Bit of a pisser for the Gibraltinoes. I take it their FIFA membership appeal is still in progress?

Guess they'll have to put together some more friendlies against unrecognised states and hope for the best.

• Replies 427
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If their FIFA membership came through before the qualifiers start in autumn 2016 could they be added to Group I?

They might pick-up the odd friendly on the non-qualifier dates.

Aside from perhaps Iceland none of the Group I nations - Finland, Turkey, Ukraine, Iceland, Croatia - are small so might not want to play them.

I expected UEFA to have Russia & Gibraltar both playing all the Group H & I nations once each.

They've no chance of improving or encouraging UK-based players to stay involved if they must semi-mothball themselves for 2yrs in every 4.

If their FIFA membership came through before the qualifiers start in autumn 2016 could they be added to Group I?

That sounds terribly unfair on the other minnows, considering they weren't part of the draw that could've seen them placed in any of the other groups (barring Spain's).

So, aye, probably :P

Wonder what happens if there is a Mexican stand off between police Scotland and UEFA

Move it to Thursday night maybe?

People constantly overplay the role that police have in determining when fixtures are played.

The police can't just decide a game will not be played on a certain day at a certain time. They can only put a stop to things when there's a real and immediate danger to public safety.

What they can do is submit an objection to Glasgow City Council whose licensing committee will consider the evidence, weigh it up against a submission from The SFA and decide whether or not to let Hampden keep its safety certificate.

But ultimately, the game will not be moved. UEFA will simply tell the SFA to either find a solution, or play it behind closed doors.

It's been a long time since we've looked at a draw with anything other than fear. It's not the greatest we could've had, but it's far from the worst. Slovakia are the dangers - they're bossing their group at the moment, so they'll most definitely be the ones we need to beat, providing we can beat what's below us (should be able to) and we do similarly against the top seed. Who are they again? Can't quite remember who it was we draw...

Oh aye. Them. If we weren't going to draw Wales or Romania (and they both held their own pitfalls) I wanted England. I genuinely think that we stand more of a chance against them than some of the bigger pot 1 sides. However, I can still see them breezing their way through qualification, like they always do. We need to make sure we don't see the England games as the main event - of course we want to beat them, but we're going to be the underdogs, make no mistake. We stand a chance, particularly at Hampden, and we have it in us to do something, but it's not going to be the end of the World if we don't get any points off them. Slovakia are the ones we need to concentrate on. Get 4 points from them, and beat the sides below us in the pots, and we should be in a good position for 2nd.

And lolz at the fixtures, but anyone who thinks UEFA are going to give any more than a chuckle and a shrug if the police raise objections are dreaming. Don't they know there's TV revenue to be made?! I doubt they'll be too much trouble anyway. Of course there's going to be the odd tube that wants to come up and get pwopa nawty, but the Hampden game is relatively early in the campaign. It'll pass without too much incident.

When is it the SSC memberships re-open for renewal usually? Can't remember when it was last time.

Nightmare for us is that Slovakia are on good form for these qualifiers, as we'd have big problems. Frankly, so would England, but so many teams seem to freeze up against them. Naebdy's in awe of the mighty Scotland :P

Games don't start for over a year. Slovakia's form could be out the window by then. Looking at their squad they have a few exceptional players but think they lack in depth slightly.

Guest DAVIDB69

It worries me in this Strachan era we have a huge over inflated idea of our abilities.

We actually as bad as England used to be at this.

We are still some way from qualifying for the euros where a hard luck story in the play offs is still the most likely end outcome.

Apparently Stuart McCall says we will see the real Scotland when these games come round.

The reality Strachan has improved us from a pretty low starting point, however we are still primarily a championship select, an ageing team on the whole who are workmanlike and low scoring

It worries me in this Strachan era we have a huge over inflated idea of our abilities.

We actually as bad as England used to be at this.

We are still some way from qualifying for the euros where a hard luck story in the play offs is still the most likely end outcome.

Apparently Stuart McCall says we will see the real Scotland when these games come round.

The reality Strachan has improved us from a pretty low starting point, however we are still primarily a championship select, an ageing team on the whole who are workmanlike and low scoring

Germany away

Georgia home

Poland away

Ireland home

Ireland away

Has returned 6 goals. That's not low scoring at all considering the games. We are Scotland we will always be a workman like side. We don't have a 'huge over inflated idea of our abilities' what a lot of shite.

We know fine well we are a half decent middle of the road international team. But apart from the elite sides there's a barrowload of international teams in the same boat.

Shite post.

Germany away

Georgia home

Poland away

Ireland home

Ireland away

Has returned 6 goals. That's not low scoring at all considering the games. We are Scotland we will always be a workman like side. We don't have a 'huge over inflated idea of our abilities' what a lot of shite.

We know fine well we are a half decent middle of the road international team. But apart from the elite sides there's a barrowload of international teams in the same boat.

Shite post.

I think we are fairly low scoring but not as bad as we were under Burley and Levein in that respect. The encouraging thing about the five fixtures you listed is that we scored at least once in each game - in the Craig brown era we'd have scored sh*t all in the away games.

Games don't start for over a year. Slovakia's form could be out the window by then. Looking at their squad they have a few exceptional players but think they lack in depth slightly.

I was thinking that too. A lot can change in 18 months. They may have gone through a couple of managers by then and be an absolute gang by the time they play Scotland.

I think we will have to step it up a notch or 2, no doubt. England will romp this group, they are a cut above us sadly but we can give them and Slovakia a game at Hampden.

Strachan has raised the standard but we were honking for a few years. You were lucky if we scored away from home never mind win.We are getting back to our usual spot in the pecking order of World Football, Strachan has installed belief but I think most fans are realistic.

Currently we are just about where a team hoping to qualify should be, we haven't pulled a sensational result out the bag yet. The draw away at Poland was good but we are on par.

On the flipside I don't think Slovakia,Slovenia and Lithuania will be too chuffed at drawing us.

Archived