2018 World Cup Qualifying Draw - 25th July

Slovakia are top of their group and have won 6 from 6, including against Spain. Tough opponents, but agree generally it could've been a lot worse. Slovenia are a muchness - probably on par/slightly worse than us.

I don't think our chances of the play-offs are any better than they usually are, if I'm honest.

• Replies 427
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A decent draw and some cracking away days too.

Is the match schedule drawn today too?

No, the countries get together to sort out which fixtures are played when. The SFA have screwed us before by arranging fixtures at times of the year that haven't suited us.

No, the countries get together to sort out which fixtures are played when. The SFA have screwed us before by arranging fixtures at times of the year that haven't suited us.

Not anymore. UEFA now sort out the fixtures.

Certain this doesn't happen anymore

Slovakia are top of their group and have won 6 from 6, including against Spain. Tough opponents, but agree generally it could've been a lot worse. Slovenia are a muchness - probably on par/slightly worse than us.

I don't think our chances of the play-offs are any better than they usually are, if I'm honest.

Aye but have you ever seen Slovakian hookers?

Why are we now being told by various UK press associations that "England have been drawn with Scotland..." rather than "England and Scotland have been drawn together..."?

Jesus.

Always kent that boy was a southern softie.

A cracking draw IMO.

Romania in pot 1 might have been easier, but the group would have lacked a 'highlight' without England.

None of the sides are cannon fodder: Slovenia, Slovakia, Lithuania and Malta don't tend to lose lots of goals. Then again, Slovakia recently lost to Qatar and Malta were beaten by Gibraltar, so that bodes well for us. I think it'll be a shoot out for second place with Slovakia, who look very solid at the moment. Expect us to take 3 points from England in one of the ties against them (that's the benefit of the whole auld enemy hype nonsense in that can level things out a bit).

It looks like the SFA have struck the jackpot,particularly if they can somehow tie in the England away tickets to the season ticket.

Why would they? It should be, and will be, based on points

I woe if taken Romania, Wales then England out of the pot 1 teams so fairly pleased with them.

As people have mentioned, we could have been drawn an easier pot 2 side but we could of been drawn a lot worse so once again, fairly happy.

Slovenia are a meh side and the bottom 2 are games we should be winning.

From a fans point of view, some cracking away days. Lithuania is an excellent away trip and that's the one I'm looking forward to the most then Malta then England. I've never been to Slovenia or Slovakia or no one that has so I don't know what they're like.

Archived