When will indyref2 happen?

Colkitto

Indyref2  

822 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

6 minutes ago, Baxter Parp said:

The referendum was advisory and not binding so what's your point?

I'm fully aware of that, but thanks anyway. 

My point is no-one voted on whether or not the UK should leave the single market (a point that those in government would do well to remember). The two are heavilly related, but not mutually exclusive to each other. Scotland's "will" insofar as the vote was concerned, was to stay in the EU. I suppose you can infer from that that Scotland also willed to stay in the single market, but I'm just a little surprised to see the shift to what seems to be a more relaxed attitude to leaving the EU itself (despite the way Scotland voted). 

2 minutes ago, Baxter Parp said:

In what way?  It's the truth.

There was ZERO use of this argument in the run up to the vote.  No-one campaigned on the basis of "we just want to evaluate the support for or against the EU".  I do not know of a single person who went in to the polling booth thinking that they were providing advice to the government.

Edited by strichener

5 minutes ago, strichener said:

There was ZERO use of this argument in the run up to the vote.  No-one campaigned on the basis of "we just want to evaluate the support for or against the EU".  I do not know of a single person who went in to the polling booth thinking that they were providing advice to the government.

I do not give a f**k, it's still the truth.  It isn't my or the Scottish Government's problem that the Tories and UKIP have managed to pull the wool over your eyes.

Edited by Baxter Parp

4 minutes ago, Michael W said:

I'm fully aware of that, but thanks anyway. 

My point is no-one voted on whether or not the UK should leave the single market (a point that those in government would do well to remember). The two are heavilly related, but not mutually exclusive to each other. Scotland's "will" insofar as the vote was concerned, was to stay in the EU. I suppose you can infer from that that Scotland also willed to stay in the single market, but I'm just a little surprised to see the shift to what seems to be a more relaxed attitude to leaving the EU itself (despite the way Scotland voted). 

I disagree with this a bit. What people were voting for in terms of Brexit was never really defined, it was a vague EU which may or may not have included the Single Market for some people. Given that one of the main points of argument is control of immigration which can only really be gained by leaving the single market then it would be reasonable for some to assume that it did also include the single market.

All it really says though, is that that nobody knew what the f**k they were voting for :(

8 minutes ago, Jambomo said:

I disagree with this a bit. What people were voting for in terms of Brexit was never really defined, it was a vague EU which may or may not have included the Single Market for some people. Given that one of the main points of argument is control of immigration which can only really be gained by leaving the single market then it would be reasonable for some to assume that it did also include the single market.

All it really says though, is that that nobody knew what the f**k they were voting for :(

I largely agree. 

Many prominent leave campaigners, however, made statements indicating they wanted a deal to stay in the single market. Whether or not some of them are delusional when that's taken alongside the immigration aspect or it's politically undeliverable, I don't think it can be taken as a clear indication of leaving the single market. 

The only clear issue for me was to leave the EU - everything else is up for discussion/negotiation. That includes the single market and the customs union, both of which have their pros and cons. 

It couldn't not have been more clearerer. We as nation of unequal equals voted to advise the previous government of our desire to have less different people and 350million pounds delivered to the NHS by a bus. 

Don't recall anyone advising abandonment of parliamentary democracy, the extension of the Royal Prerogative, ignoring the requirement for devolved governments to give consent to legislative changes or no, fucking, marmite.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/oct/13/nicola-sturgeon-challenges-may-with-second-referendum-bill-scottish-independence-snp-conference

Nicola Sturgeon is to publish a draft bill next week calling for a second Scottish independence referendum in a direct challenge to Theresa May’s hardline stance on Britain leaving the EU.

Game On!

I can't see this referendum bill going through. May is under a lot of different pressures (she changes position 10 times a day to keep people happy) but I think there will be some sort of deal negotiated that does give direct access to the single market, one way or another that'll allow Sturgeon to quietly remove it.

IndyRef2 right now would be a difficult sell unless Sturgeon has something up her sleeve (like a back-room EU deal). Deficit to GDP ratio at 9.5% puts us in a worse state than rUK (who are around 4%) and a much easier argument this time round that we're being subsidised in some way (if you removed Scotland's performance from the UK, the UK would be viewed as healthier when considering these figures in isolation). There's the added problem that when brought into comparison with other EU states, the Scottish deficit is more than double any other member.

Ideal timing would be into the next UK parliament term when the figure has rebounded and we have a bit more of an idea about our status. I just could see it being pretty easy for a 'No' campaigner to answer the question 'Will we be better off?' with a solid rebuke. Add in that with extra confusion about our relationship with rUK and I'm not convinced that over 50% would vote yes when the question came.