When will indyref2 happen?

Colkitto

Indyref2  

820 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

3 hours ago, The_Kincardine said:

When we were in Kincardineshire we had a Polish au pair called Donja who made the most wonderful apple fritters.

3 hours ago, The_Kincardine said:

She went on to train as a nurse.  I still miss her apples.

I can't help but feel that you need to work on the second act of your Penthouse Forum letter, Kinky.

8 hours ago, Kyle said:

I know we can't rely on polls following the results of the last few elections/referendums we've had a stake in, but I really hope the SNP/Greens know what they're doing with the timing of the next one. If we lose the next one, the chance will have past for a good number of years.

I know what you mean – this isn't perfect time to go for a second referendum. And I'd imagine Nicola Sturgeon knows this. But if not now, when? Leaving the EU against our will was the only trigger mentioned in the SNP's manifesto and if we don't act on that, I can't think of another opportunity in the next decade that will convince enough people that independence is the best way of building a fairer Scotland. In other words, we need to think of this as a free shot. If we lose it, there isn't another chance for a generation. But if we don't go for it, same thing.

What we do need is for things to be lined up. We need an answer to the currency question (Scottish pound, pegged to sterling), the border (hopefully Ireland will help us with this) and EU membership (need some big voices from Europe guaranteeing us entry). The selling point for independence needs to be 'what sort of a country do we want to be?'. Not one built solely on EU membership, but that comes as part of being a modern, outward-looking European state.

The 'No' campaign's only carrots will be further devolution – watch for farming and fishing to be used as bargaining tools.

Wasn't it this McSpreader guy giving it the patter about reaching out and helping the whole world rather than just those in the EU? Brexit is all about open-mindedness and internationalism you see.

A few vinos and a poll he doesn't like and it's Polish people can gtf. The mask never takes long to slip.

On 2/12/2017 at 01:01, AUFC90 said:

I just hope they don't run on a "vote yes to stay in the EU ticket ", that would be a huge mistake. Rather a " look what happened when the entire country voted one way but England called the shots". That narrative with a promise to hold an EU referendum will secure a YES vote imo.

Absolutely this.

Being removed from the EU isn't the core issue, that may well be something an independent Scotland may wish to consider at some point.

The democratic deficit it exposed whereby 62% of the people, 98% of the MP's, 100% of the political party leaders and 100% of the local authority areas all supported something, just for the opposite to happen on the basis of another country's ideology is the very reason for independence. The subject matter is not the real issue, the fact that the UK constitutional set-up allows it to happen very much is.

The easiest way for Yes to win this is to try and get the UK Government to try and block the request for another referendum - that should seal the deal.

May will request that Brexit terms for the whole of the UK are in place first. Sturgeon will refuse, then what, 2/3 years of stalemate?

Serious question, put the consequences aside for a moment, if the UK Gov refuses to approve a 2nd Ref what happens next?

1 minute ago, RedRob72 said:

May will request that Brexit terms for the whole of the UK are in place first. Sturgeon will refuse, then what, 2/3 years of stalemate?

Serious question, put the consequences aside for a moment, if the UK Gov refuses to approve a 2nd Ref what happens next?

Well, it 100% seals the Yes vote whenever it happens, so the waiting game becomes a very easy one to take part in. It's far and away the worst thing anyone interested in keeping the union together can do.

Well, it 100% seals the Yes vote whenever it happens, so the waiting game becomes a very easy one to take part in. It's far and away the worst thing anyone interested in keeping the union together can do.

Aye I agree I'm afraid, but I said if you put the consequences aside for a moment, what would ACTUALLY happen if the UK Gov flatly refused a 2nd Ref until the terms of Brexit are agreed with the EU?
Does the SNP simply agree, then sit waiting in the wings for a couple of years?

15 minutes ago, RedRob72 said:

We still live in a democracy. You can only refuse if there is a reason to refuse - such as not having a mandate - which the SNP have.

Both Holyrood and Westminster can wrangle over the timing, but that will almost certainly back-fire on the Unionists as it will be looked upon as a refusal to hold indyref2.

And to be honest, the longer it takes to hold indyref2 the better for Nicola, as she will use the refusal to her full advantage and privately would rather we held it later anyway.

I really can't see Westminster refusing on the granting and timing on indyref2 unless they know they can't possibly win anyway.

We still live in a democracy. You can only refuse if there is a reason to refuse - such as not having a mandate - which the SNP have.
Both Holyrood and Westminster can wrangle over the timing, but that will almost certainly back-fire on the Unionists as it will be looked upon as a refusal to hold indyref2.
And to be honest, the longer it takes to hold indyref2 the better for Nicola, as she will use the refusal to her full advantage and privately would rather we held it later anyway.
I really can't see Westminster refusing on the granting and timing on indyref2 unless they know they can't possibly win anyway.

I think now IS probably the best time to launch a 2nd Ref, whilst the Unionist vote is still pretty much intact? As mentioned previously, I just can't see the UK Gov giving the go ahead amidst sorting out the Brexit problem.