When will indyref2 happen?

Colkitto

Indyref2  

822 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

16 minutes ago, Gaz FFC said:

I have a massive lack of respect for people who buy papers.

I have even less respect for the type who write into these papers.

You can already tell these people are 60+ and will never change opinion

Can I also have £50 on "voted Labour all my life"?

Agreeing with Theresa May and the Tories against the SNP is the brand of Scottish Labour voters.

7 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

How many people read the letters page even as a proportion of people who buy newspapers? Has to be in the single digits % wise.

Have to admit I do in the Inverness Courier since the guy who did a history thing and a diary retired a month ago. There's fuckall else apart from outrage at Council spending Art grants on Art and some boy getting glassed by a girl in Revolution. The letters are usually by some loon in Linlithgow who hates the 21st century and I assume provides filler for a lot of local papers.

22 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Have to admit I do in the Inverness Courier since the guy who did a history thing and a diary retired a month ago. There's fuckall else apart from outrage at Council spending Art grants on Art and some boy getting glassed by a girl in Revolution. The letters are usually by some loon in Linlithgow who hates the 21st century and I assume provides filler for a lot of local papers.

Can imagine there being banter in the pages but the influence of letter writing in the nationwide papers must be about as useful as shouting your thoughts out the window at passers by.

AFAIK the major letter writers (and absolute fucking mentalists) are Clark Cross who is a climate change denying lunatic, Martin Redfern who is utterly obsessed with the SNP, Keith Howell (see Redfern) and Otto Inglis who I think was a failed BNP candidate. Dr Charles Wardrop is another nutcase climate change denier who has previous for trying to use letter pages to highlight papers he's written.

1 hour ago, NotThePars said:

How many people read the letters page even as a proportion of people who buy newspapers? Has to be in the single digits % wise.

I did years ago. Every paper had a letter daily from “Tom Baxter, Denny, Stirlingshire”. I always wondered if he was a real person or some kind of false ID that journos used to fill space.

33 minutes ago, Gaz FFC said:

If they look at phones they can fact check the shite the papers just told them

With Randy Shithead from Idaho's youtube channel, the internet's equivalent of local paper letter writers.

You can add in Allan Sutherland and Jill Stephenson.   These letters are then shared on SiU, United against Scotland and other loon pages.   

This from Martin Redfern for example:  

66617057_1388186537996573_3233403783048331264_n.jpg?_nc_cat=102%26_nc_oc=AQkY-AnWLE2ZrwQ5OLP_EGaJC6D4_Q-DVCHhlj3nMRmWnob-YP8JWHjYy-HiNiDP4WlGHUw0VvraPd8g9PPy7UpN%26_nc_ht=scontent-lht6-1.xx%26oh=cc457fec04aebee5192c30ec3d7f4add%26oe=5D7AA621&key=70853590c5f237bfbde9679c29cbda5c2e0df549dd8709ead0bde9625ec30626

PS why did you change your name?   
Had the same one for years. Fancied a Joy Division related change. Did you see Jill Stephenson's recent letter to the Courier? Oyf

1 hour ago, ThatBoyRonaldo said:

That Clark Cross guy is a total w****r. I think the worst thing I ever saw by him was when the Linlithgow Gazette published a letter by him where he stated that 'migrants carry diseases' and 'there is one solution - throw them all out'. The one and only time I've ever written a letter in to reply (head's gone etc). Obviously you don't expect the same standard of editing in a local rag as a national newspaper but I was genuinely shocked that any newspaper would publish such out-and-out bile. Haven't bought a copy since.

He seems to focus entirely on climate change being a myth now. Still obvs a total w****r though. The Courier has some belting regulars. The worst I saw in there was from AA Bullions, clearly a perma-seething old bigot who had a genuinely creepy (almost Wunfellaf levels of creepy) letter published where he effectively complained about young girls these days not "knowing their place" and suggesting sterilisation for those without a job. He's toned it down a bit now and just whines about the SNP and how much easier life is now than when he was young. 

I only wrote into the Courier's page a couple of times, basically to troll the utter f**k out of Invergowrie's former Conservative Councillor Mac something or other. He himself had written a pack of lies about the SNP ignoring Scottish steel to build the Queensferry Crossing. I expressed some surprise that as a QS himself, he seemed unaware of how tendering worked, and suggested that he might in fact be lying. I'm amazed the courier actually published my response tbh. 

My old man also writes into the Courier with regular pro-Tory and anti-SNP bile. I have so far resisted the temptation to reply and rip the absolute pish 😂

1 hour ago, ICTJohnboy said:

Unfortunately that "400,000 strong English population" will extract their revenge come Indyref2.

Something that they'll do regardless. They're no friends of Scotland.

1 minute ago, BawWatchin said:

Yeah, but at the same time they claim to love Scotland, and many of them will further claim they moved there to get away from the rat race.

59 minutes ago, BawWatchin said:

Regardless of that, there is a moral and political imperative in making sure the Yes movement is beyond such sentiments.

Politically and tactically because despite that demographic being largely beyond the reach of any Yes campaign, an inclusive campaign is more attractive to Scots-born/Scots resident soft Nos and also self consistent with the existing narrative about being an outwards looking nation seeking to retain it's international ties.

Morally because no nation should take it's first steps into independence carrying over an ethnically based bias against a resident group in that nation. 

They could rip his banners up when he tries to put then in a prominent position.

Heard reports that he was told to get himself to falkirk when he pulled the banner out and it was only up for a short time because of the hostility towards him. Clerkin and wings are both bigoted people with pretty clear mental health problems, they need help.