When will indyref2 happen?

Colkitto

Indyref2  

819 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

EU membership for Scotland will have to come after another vote on joining the EU sometime after winning an Indy vote. We should be confident enough as a nation to vote for independence to stand on our own 2 feet. Then as an independent nation have votes on whether we want to join the EU and Nato.

This is just ny opinion but when I think of why I want indpendence  , The EU and any other groups or blocks deosnt come into the equation. They are completely separate things.

7 hours ago, Jedi said:

Here's a 'what if'. If Scotland was independent today, and had assumed control of defence, with a small force. presumably similar in number to Ireland (an army which doesn't get involved around the world on the whole), would you be in favour of Scotland contributing arms to Ukraine?

I would like to think that an Independent Scotland would be much more welcoming of Ukrainian refugees than the UK has been (and am sure it would be).

Not sure why Ireland would necessarily be the model for Scotland. Norway or Denmark offer reasonable alternatives for a Scottish military. Both are NATO members who have offered engagement in out of area NATO activities.

For me a notional Scottish military is one who's primary concern is the high North and GIUK gap.

As such, it would be built around persistent maritime surveillance and strike as well as a land brigade capable of reinforcing Norway/Iceland.

That would mean Scotland could build some niche capabilities that would be genuinely useful to international partners in the North Atlantic region for a reasonable budget. 

10 hours ago, Jedi said:

Defence, security and energy will be the issues which dominate politics over the next few years now, as a new Iron Curtain comes down.

Worst possible situation for a 2nd Ref, as defence would be the biggest question now, bigger even than currency, economics, rejoining the EU, pensions, etc.

This solidifies a No vote, and pushes the undecided towards having to remain part of a common defence area with the UK. If a Ref were held later this year, or next, I reckon the result would be around 60-40% No. Who would have thought that Putin would be the one to knock a 2nd Ref on the head.

The SNP's only bet now is to push for FFA and devolve everything apart from defence and foreign policy.

Defence is not a topic that is easy to keep at the top of a given agenda. Even during the Cold War the UK still had an almost perpetually declining defence budget if looked at over decades.

As soon as there isn't a lot of hot, heavy metal flying around minds quickly re-focus on the things government could be spending on rather than heavily armed machinery parked somewhere not being used.

I do agree that "security" as a broader concept will play a much larger role than the far off days of 2014. Particularly national resilience and energy security. 

Energy security is a fairly obvious concept but resilience is a wee bit more wooly. Basically any form of security in the "grey zone" below actual conflict. It can be how resilient infrastructure is to cyber attack, or if a nation has the necessary abilities to meet a national crisis (without getting in the army every 5 minutes) or how secure its import markets are, or its general food security or even, y'know.... its ability to respond to something like a pandemic.

Energy security is a strong point for the Indy side thanks to consistent advocacy for Green energy, broader national resilience is more of a mixed bag though given the UK government is only really waking up to these concepts itself, they aren't on a particularly strong footing.

Scotland can, for example call on a large workforce of programmers and engineers which would put us in a reasonable position to secure national infrastructure against cyber attack, we have a broad primary sector for food security, as well. Within the UK we are probably one of the few net exporters and have a reasonably broad economy. One of the burgeoning sectors you'd want the Pro Indy side to talk about is securing the future of the Scottish space sector which could be a large hi-tech earner going forward

For other stuff like pandemic control which will likely be a live issue Going deeper into the 21st century you obviously risk getting into a slug fest around individual decisions over the last 2 years but providing resilience for the health service is vital, and an honest conversation that needs to happen.

Edited by renton

EU membership for Scotland will have to come after another vote on joining the EU sometime after winning an Indy vote. We should be confident enough as a nation to vote for independence to stand on our own 2 feet. Then as an independent nation have votes on whether we want to join the EU and Nato.

This is just ny opinion but when I think of why I want indpendence  , The EU and any other groups or blocks deosnt come into the equation. They are completely separate things.
Oh and let's not forget the vote to get rid of the Royal Parasites too...

2 hours ago, KingRocketman II said:

allow me to be the first. I have met Goomba and Scott Steiner both in person and I can confirm that they are not the same poster.....

Stormfront or Santander (or whatever it was) too? You’ve had a tough time of it.

In terms of defence would expect something proportionally like Denmark or Norway within NATO, short term keep existing arrangements and then as others have said find a niche role that compliments neighbours. 

The EU first things first the main thing is close alignment to the single market.   

The monarchy I would like to see go, will be interesting how the hysteria is when the the Queen dies. It needs to be made clear what head of state system we are replacing them with.  I think such a vote would need to be at least a decade after independence. Really I think once Australia or Canada becomes a republic then that will start a chain effect. A ceremonial democratically voted head of state would be my choice with a maximum of 2 full terms and I would say the same for a prime minister (2 election wins plus half term if they took over when predecessor resigns). Hopefully Proportion representation in the parliament would remain so we have checks and balances. 

11 minutes ago, MONKMAN said:

Why do all the Alba roasters persist with the claim that the SNP don’t want independence? 

They've no reason to exist otherwise.

Other than genital inspection, obviously.

https://www.thenational.scot/news/20003556.scottish-independence-ukraine-war-influences-voters-referendum-planning-says-poll/

Remarkable that the National are running with this story. 

No support for Indy and no support for a referendum in the first place must make for awkward reading for some people. Perhaps we can put this nonsense in the past now and look forward as a nation. 

3 minutes ago, Albus Bulbasaur said:

https://www.thenational.scot/news/20003556.scottish-independence-ukraine-war-influences-voters-referendum-planning-says-poll/

Remarkable that the National are running with this story. 

No support for Indy and no support for a referendum in the first place must make for awkward reading for some people. Perhaps we can put this nonsense in the past now and look forward as a nation. 

Nonsense? That explains why so many countries are moving past it and seeking dependence.