When will indyref2 happen?

Colkitto

Indyref2  

822 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I've just found this guy's YouTube channel and it turns out he's done some economics-based videos about Scottish independence.  The two below make for interesting watches/listens. BYW he's not Scottish.

On 26/05/2024 at 17:04, Dan Steele said:

It was certainly a chance. Even without an obvious route do people favouring independence now just give up? Is it a case of just shrugging, accepting and getting on with this total binfire of a UK? 

Kinda feels that way aye. 

Just can't see a way to get another referendum. 

On 27/05/2024 at 00:14, Binos said:

The endless bleating afterwards,  from the victors,  it was a once in a generation chance 

Well a generation is generally accepted as 15 years

I feel we should have another vote before 2030 as with quebec,  one vote is not enough,  the subject will rumble on forever 

Being take out of the EU despite every Scottish region voting to stay should have been enough. And, before the vote, it was widely accepted that Brexit would lead to another independence referendum.

As soon as Westminster discovered they could say no and ignore the elected Scottish parliament without losing any votes in Scotland, the chance of another referendum died forever. 

9 hours ago, HoBNob said:

Kinda feels that way aye. 

Just can't see a way to get another referendum. 

It won’t happen at this coming election, but the next time the SNP do well and there’s a hung parliament they should form a coalition with the largest party and demand a referendum.

1 hour ago, JS_FFC said:

It won’t happen at this coming election, but the next time the SNP do well and there’s a hung parliament they should form a coalition with the largest party and demand a referendum.

No one is going to join with them though. The Tories and Labour both earn more votes by telling those pesky Scots to get stuffed. They'd go into coalition together before they'd allow the SNP a say.

1 hour ago, JS_FFC said:

They would definitely not want a coalition, rather make support for the King’s Speech and any future legislation contingent upon another Referendum.  They would also need to have the bottle to force a further GE if necessary.

Also it wouldn’t necessarily need to be the largest party they do a deal with, so long as between them they have a working majority.

If one of the big parties fancies being in opposition for the foreseeable future, losing Scotland or Wales would be a great way to go. England doesn't really want either of us, but they don't react well to "losing".

Call Me Dave only agreed because he was absolutely sure he'd get a favourable result and still came close to fucking it. Such a shame we never got to see how they'd have wriggled their way out of it; maybe 90%+ turnout would have been retrospectively required, perhaps 60%+ in favour would have been needed.

56 minutes ago, BFTD said:

If one of the big parties fancies being in opposition for the foreseeable future, losing Scotland or Wales would be a great way to go. England doesn't really want either of us, but they don't react well to "losing".

Call Me Dave only agreed because he was absolutely sure he'd get a favourable result and still came close to fucking it. Such a shame we never got to see how they'd have wriggled their way out of it; maybe 90%+ turnout would have been retrospectively required, perhaps 60%+ in favour would have been needed.

I don’t agree.  An Independent Scotland would be a massive electoral gain for the Conservatives in future elections.

2 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

I don’t agree.  An Independent Scotland would be a massive electoral gain for the Conservatives in future elections.

Us not voting for them hasn't harmed their chances in UK elections at all, so it would only be on the "nice bonus" list. Even this time, we could all vote Tory as a block and it wouldn't affect the outcome.

Actually allowing Scotland to f**k off would kill them with at least half of their voter base, likely on a permanent basis. Not because they like/want us, you understand, but because it's yet more evidence that the Empire is over and England is just a wee island with only nuclear weapons to differentiate it from anywhere else.

29 minutes ago, BFTD said:

Us not voting for them hasn't harmed their chances in UK elections at all, so it would only be on the "nice bonus" list. Even this time, we could all vote Tory as a block and it wouldn't affect the outcome.

Actually allowing Scotland to f**k off would kill them with at least half of their voter base, likely on a permanent basis. Not because they like/want us, you understand, but because it's yet more evidence that the Empire is over and England is just a wee island with only nuclear weapons to differentiate it from anywhere else.

I’m struggling to understand that.  However, based on the last 50 years or so, a U.K. without Scotland would benefit the Tories electorally.

6 hours ago, tamba_trio said:

No one is going to join with them though. The Tories and Labour both earn more votes by telling those pesky Scots to get stuffed. They'd go into coalition together before they'd allow the SNP a say.

Aye, correct. 

The way labour have cosied upto the Tories since the 2014 referendum means I can't vote for them either, I can't say I'm massively enthused with a Starmer led labour party taking over. 

14 hours ago, tamba_trio said:

Being take out of the EU despite every Scottish region voting to stay should have been enough. And, before the vote, it was widely accepted that Brexit would lead to another independence referendum.

As soon as Westminster discovered they could say no and ignore the elected Scottish parliament without losing any votes in Scotland, the chance of another referendum died forever. 

The complete fraud that was 'the vow'

Should have been enough 

57 minutes ago, Binos said:

The complete fraud that was 'the vow'

Should have been enough 

But that was invented by a newspaper; the politicians had nothing to do with it.

And if they did, it wasn't a literal promise.

And if it was, hardly anyone knew about it anyway.

And if they did, nobody actually believed it.

And if they did, it's their own fault for being so stupid.

(not sure if I've missed anything there)

16 hours ago, BFTD said:

But that was invented by a newspaper; the politicians had nothing to do with it.

And if they did, it wasn't a literal promise.

And if it was, hardly anyone knew about it anyway.

And if they did, nobody actually believed it.

And if they did, it's their own fault for being so stupid.

(not sure if I've missed anything there)

Christ, it's been 10 years and I can still feel my blood pressure rise thinking about "the vow".

21 minutes ago, Jedi2 said:

The Herald? Tory rag, which you worship and behold to. The only conning going on is the voters like yourself being suckered into voting for a sham Labour Party.

On 27/05/2024 at 07:59, Jedi2 said:

Wouldn't trust you to walk me across the street let alone pay a bet.

However, if the SNP win a majority of seats I will gladly make a donation to a Charity of your choice.

I have a 100% record of paying up on bets. Why else would I have sent a cheque to East Fife, which was acknowledged on here?

The only person I know  on P'nB that refused to pay up ona bet was @TheKincardine, a Yoon like you.

Let's get specific about your charity donation though. If the SNP win 29 seats in Scotland, you will make a donation to a charity of my choice, you say? How much of a donation are you willing to risk?