When will indyref2 happen?

Colkitto

Indyref2  

819 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

The problem the SNP face here is the exact same they faced the day after Brexit. Brexit was a disaster for Scottish Independence. 

For Scotland to flourish in the short to medium term as an independent entity it had to do so with an rUK still part of the EU. Given the preponderance of Scottish trade with rUK.

If Brexit terms are onerous, Scotland, so dependent on the UK export market, is hugely disadvantaged. Similarly any reduction in UK consumer spending power and downturn in the UK economy affects Scotland very detrimentally . The GERS figures show the scale of problems Scotland would face even in the current climate. 

Indyref2 really relies on the heart ruling the head, and the social and cultural desire to remain within the EU, even if it's detrimental financially to Scotland in the short term to tear ourselves from the internal market of the UK. That's highly optimistic.

Today's announcement doesn't make an induref2 in this Parliament any more likely in my view. It might be enough to appease the mentalist fringe though and make them think things are moving and it's not just posturing.

3 minutes ago, ScotSquid said:

The problem the SNP face here is the exact same they faced the day after Brexit. Brexit was a disaster for Scottish Independence. 

For Scotland to flourish in the short to medium term as an independent entity it had to do so with an rUK still part of the EU. Given the preponderance of Scottish trade with rUK.

If Brexit terms are onerous, Scotland, so dependent on the UK export market, is hugely disadvantaged. Similarly any reduction in UK consumer spending power and downturn in the UK economy affects Scotland very detrimentally . The GERS figures show the scale of problems Scotland would face even in the current climate. 

Indyref2 really relies on the heart ruling the head, and the social and cultural desire to remain within the EU, even if it's detrimental financially to Scotland in the short term to tear ourselves from the internal market of the UK. That's highly optimistic.

Today's announcement doesn't make an induref2 in this Parliament any more likely in my view. It might be enough to appease the mentalist fringe though and make them think things are moving and it's not just posturing.

If you don't believe there will be an independence referendum in 2018 you haven't been paying attention! 

2 minutes ago, ayrmad said:

I can't wait for indyref2, it's amazing the number of "vote NO or blah blah will happen" things that have happened after we voted NO.

Off the top of my head the tax office closures, "vote No to protect Scotland's status in the EU because UNCERTAINTY!" and "vote No to protect Scotish shipbuilding... oh, you've voted No! Great! btw we only need half the frigates we said we would... actually scrap that, btw we're putting the building work on hold" spring to mind.

2 minutes ago, Thistle_do_nicely said:

Off the top of my head the tax office closures, "vote No to protect Scotland's status in the EU because UNCERTAINTY!" and "vote No to protect Scotish shipbuilding... oh, you've voted No! Great! btw we only need half the frigates we said we would... actually scrap that, btw we're putting the building work on hold" spring to mind.

We really should start a list and they can keep their shite pound as well.

This is a comment I've just read on a unionist page (went to see the seeth from latest developments). A wee reminder that people like this actually exist:

"God bless our wonderful monarch ...Rather than feeding my children I'll happily give her my last penny so she can sit gracefully on her throne. Ah the majesty of it all! We are her subjects - and her inferiors. The Windsors were born to rule over us, and rightly so - Rule Britannia!"

Incredible.

4 hours ago, ayrmad said:

I can't wait for indyref2, it's amazing the number of "vote NO or blah blah will happen" things that have happened after we voted NO.

In their desperation to attract labour voters, the snp said the only way to save the NHS is to vote yes. To suggest that the no side had a monopoly on negative campaigning shows you weren't paying attention.

The fact that you'd want to see the country fail in that scenario sums you up tbh. Not even the least bit surprised either.

And where did i say i wanted to see that scenario ? Quite the reverse in fact.You of course will be hoping BREXIT is a roaring success and not being small minded enough to wish for a fiasco that furthers squeals for Indy2.Goose and gander..

The fact that you'd want to see the country fail in that scenario sums you up tbh. Not even the least bit surprised either.

Don't think anyone wants Scotland to fail,think the point is more that people will vote yes regardless of the possible consequences.

Independence at all costs is a phrase that I have seen many times,what that cost will be,will only be clear after a yes victory and we become independent.