When will indyref2 happen?

Colkitto

Indyref2  

819 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

35 minutes ago, lichtgilphead said:

No. The graph shows Scotland's alleged share of the overall UK deficit, not Scotland's alleged deficit figures.

Both lines increase at the same rate over the period the troll refers to, thus showing that Scotland's share of the deficit is not increasing due to the drop in oil prices.

Exactly. It nicely demonstrates the statistical fiddle that has went on in the last few years. 

As pointed out....just when Scotland became serious about independence. 

Funny that.

Thank goodness that serious economists and tax experts like the Cuthbert's and Professor Murphy are brave enough to put there head above the parapet and explain the truth behind these figures.

So this is the jist then?:

Scotland, a progressive, forward thinking nation, with record growth nearly across the board = basketcase

rUK, a racist, insular, 'fuck off back to your own country', bigoted bin, with a known arsehole as PM who hates anyone who isn't white, heterosexual and Christian = good

If GERS is good for one thing, it's that it feeds an English Nationalist beast already straining to be let off the leash.

Once Brexit is done, the next target will be the subsidy junkie jocks.

It's coming lads.

4 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

How brilliant would it be if something with the acronym GERS was a factor is Scotland becoming an independent nation.

Reminds me of the Gers social club in Inverness turning into a Mosque. :lol:

2 hours ago, AUFC90 said:
7 hours ago, Malky3 said:
Unsurprisingly I have no idea. I don't even know if your figure is accurate but if we assume that you aren't lying
- Perhaps they had greater extraction activity in their oil fields.
- Perhaps they had more readily accessible oil that could be extracted.
- Or perhaps they have more established oil wells whilst over here there is more exploration
Can you tell me though - how healthy is it for a countries economy to be so heavily reliant on a volatile market in exporting polluting hydro carbons?

Very healthy by the looks of it seeing as Norway is the richest country in the world and shits all over the UK on every measure.

Liar. 

Depending on what measure you use Qatar, Macao and Luxembourg top the worlds richest list. Norway seldom features in the top 5 these days as a result of their losses since the oil price crashed in 2014.

In terms of GDP per Capita Qatar has topped the list for 20 consecutive years but the economic data shows they've also suffered since the oild price crash in 2014 and now because of a blockade imposed on it by Saudi Arabia and her allies. 

9 hours ago, Malky3 said:

Yes there is. The methodology is all there in the report. 

Have you tried reading it? 

Yes. Have you? Are you capable of reading between lines? The giveaway is in the terminology used. Estimates and apportions. 

These are not Scottish govt figures. They are handed to the Scottish gov for publication by the UK ONS.

Attempting to produce a supposed Scottish deficit using a proportion of UK deficit, does not make sense. The two sets of figures are compiled using differing rules and metrics. It's a fudge....and a politically motivated one...designed to hide the transferral of all our wealth to London and the South East.....it's a tool used to fool convenient idiots.....and it is obviously very effective.

Combining the deficits of the English regions with Scotland, Wales and NI,  accounts for something like 200% of UK deficit in a particular financial year.

If we are to believe that these figures are in any way accurate, one would have to then assume that London and the SE are generating near100% of  UK revenue.

Now consider which part of the UK has the positive BoP and produces the countries highest revenue grossing products. Clue....it ain't London and the SE.

It would be funny if .........

11 minutes ago, git-intae-thum said:

Yes. Have you? Are you capable of reading between lines? The giveaway is in the terminology used. Estimates and apportions. 

These are not Scottish govt figures. They are handed to the Scottish gov for publication by the UK ONS.

Attempting to produce a supposed Scottish deficit using a proportion of UK deficit, does not make sense. The two sets of figures are compiled using differing rules and metrics. It's a fudge....and a politically motivated one...designed to hide the transferral of all our wealth to London and the South East.....it's a tool used to fool convenient idiots.....and it is obviously very effective.

Combining the deficits of the English regions with Scotland, Wales and NI,  accounts for something like 200% of UK deficit in a particular financial year.

If we are to believe that these figures are in any way accurate, one would have to then assume that London and the SE are generating near100% of  UK revenue.

Now consider which part of the UK has the positive BoP and produces the countries highest revenue grossing products. Clue....it ain't London and the SE.

It would be funny if .........

My current favourite is how Scotland is apportioned 3.3 Billion in defence but our notional GDP is 62.7 Billion, hence Scotland's defence spending is 5.27% of GDP - the UK's is 2% and Scotland's notional defence/GDP figure is then proportionately higher than the US at 3.4% and equal to Israel. Israel has something like 160,000 men under active service and another 400,000 in immediate reserve. It has 400 odd Main battle tanks and 350 fast jets. Scotland, for it's 3.3 Billion get's 10,000 servicemen in total and Faslane.

Edited by renton

As a Scottish patriot I know Scotland isn't an economic "basket case". Regardless of these GERs figures we are still a part of one of the richest and biggest economies in the world. 

This is the equivelent of having a football team that is doing well near the top of the table and your data analysis of your players have been released. What it shows is that your goalkeeper, your two centre halves, your central midfield and your strikers are doing well, while your full backs are just steady and your two wingers are a bit off form. The team is still winning but we know how much better we'd be if only the wingers could focus and get back on form instead of having its head turned by agents who keep telling them they could be the stars of a team in a lower division. 

Derek MacKay has confirmed the GERs figures are a fair reflection on the Scottish fiscal position currently and the figures were collated by statisticians and economists in the Scottish Government. All this Nationalist criticism of the report only calls into question the compitence of the Scottish Government. 

I'm proud to be a Scot and I know we are Better Together 

29 minutes ago, This time Perthshirebell said:

Imagine this cringe winning letter of the week.  

Image may contain: text

That's official Tory policy now...

The recently-appointed Scottish secretary, Alister Jack, has ignited a furious row with the Scottish National party after claiming it was no different from other nationalist movements as it “needs an enemy to thrive”.

In an article for the Times (paywall), his first newspaper opinion piece since being appointed by Boris Johnson, Jack wrote:

Scottish nationalists like to claim that theirs is a different kind of nationalism, somehow uniquely benign. I’m sorry but I’m not sure I can spot the difference. Like nationalist movements the world over, it requires an enemy to make it thrive. It needs an ‘other’ to rail against.

Jack, a staunch Brexiteer, accused Nicola Sturgeon and the SNP of inventing grievances; using “the Westminster system” as an insult coded to attack the UK as a whole; and inventing a “fiction” that devolution no longer works.

He said many fiercely proud Scots were comfortable being Scottish and British. Acknowledging the Brexit crisis was putting the union under strain, he blamed Sturgeon using “anger, bitterness and resentment” over Brexit to promote independence.

Ian Blackford, the SNP’s Westminster leader, called on Jack to withdraw the piece on Twitter.

42 minutes ago, Malky3 said:

As a Scottish patriot I know Scotland isn't an economic "basket case". Regardless of these GERs figures we are still a part of one of the richest and biggest economies in the world. 

This is the equivelent of having a football team that is doing well near the top of the table and your data analysis of your players have been released. What it shows is that your goalkeeper, your two centre halves, your central midfield and your strikers are doing well, while your full backs are just steady and your two wingers are a bit off form. The team is still winning but we know how much better we'd be if only the wingers could focus and get back on form instead of having its head turned by agents who keep telling them they could be the stars of a team in a lower division. 

Derek MacKay has confirmed the GERs figures are a fair reflection on the Scottish fiscal position currently and the figures were collated by statisticians and economists in the Scottish Government. All this Nationalist criticism of the report only calls into question the compitence of the Scottish Government. 

I'm proud to be a Scot and I know we are Better Together 

^^^painful stuff^^^^^

I am sorry for you....genuinely......because you and too many like you have been completely taken for fools by Westminster. As that slow painful realisation starts to seep in, it's a sore one.

4 hours ago, lichtgilphead said:

No. The graph shows Scotland's alleged share of the overall UK deficit, not Scotland's alleged deficit figures.

Both lines increase at the same rate over the period the troll refers to, thus showing that Scotland's share of the deficit is not increasing due to the drop in oil prices.

3 hours ago, git-intae-thum said:

Exactly. It nicely demonstrates the statistical fiddle that has went on in the last few years. 

As pointed out....just when Scotland became serious about independence. 

Funny that.

Thank goodness that serious economists and tax experts like the Cuthbert's and Professor Murphy are brave enough to put there head above the parapet and explain the truth behind these figures.

It doesn't show anything, it's literally just one graph that shows that the income from north sea oil decreased in the 2010s and the onshore deficit has also increased. There is no more info than that.

Fair dos, critique the methodology etc all you like but there's absolutely nothing in your graph that suggests what you're getting at.

1 minute ago, harry94 said:

It doesn't show anything, it's literally just one graph that shows that the income from north sea oil decreased in the 2010s and the onshore deficit has also increased. There is no more info than that.

Fair dos, critique the methodology etc all you like but there's absolutely nothing in your graph that suggests what you're getting at.

The graph comes from Richard Murphy's taxresearch website I believe.

It is nothing to do with NS oil revenue. It shows the proportion of the UK's net fiscal balance apportioned to Scotland each financial year since 2002.

The point being the spike since 2012. A drop in NS revenue would impact negatively on Scottish revenue figures, but to suggest it accounts for a sudden leap from a steady ~10% share of proportion of deficit to over 50% of entire UK is farcical. Particularly since oil price did not really drop until 2014/15 and has since somewhat recovered.

As helpfully pointed out by Renton above, Scotland is being disproportionately allocated a share of deficit on all kinds of nonsense. That is factual. The supposed deficit is not.

The GERs figures were/are designed to hide wealth transfer from the UK regions to London and the SE. This year they have just went a bit far and are rightly being ridiculed.

I think we've established that Malky is a low grade, shite troll who is either trying to make the argument for the union look completely untenable or is fucking woeful at presenting its case. 

So can everyone stop engaging with it instead of rebutting screed after screed of pish until he puts his hands up and acknowledges that he was only having a laugh.