The Terrible Journalism & Tom English Thread

6 minutes ago, VincentGuerin said:

There's little in the discourse around this than the sanctimonious "If you can't go two hours without a drink..." mob.

Get yourselves to f**k.

I'm an adult indulging in a fun day out. I should be allowed to have a beer whenever the f**k I want.

That said, the beer we'd get sold at football would be both shite and expensive, so I'd probably usually not bother. But the point remains. We should be able to.

That is some of the shittiest logic I the world, and can immediately be applied across the board to show how f**king stupid it is. 

"If you can't go to a nice restaurant without a drink"

"If you can't go to a day at the races without a drink"

And so on ad infinitum. 

An argument so obviously stupid, that it can only be being made in pure bad faith 

2 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

That is some of the shittiest logic I the world, and can immediately be applied across the board to show how f**king stupid it is. 

"If you can't go to a nice restaurant without a drink"

"If you can't go to a day at the races without a drink"

And so on ad infinitum. 

An argument so obviously stupid, that it can only be being made in pure bad faith 

They just do away with catering at the football altogether with that logic.

If you can't go 90 minutes without a tea/coffee/Bovril then you have a problem.

If you can go 90 minutes without a pie/sausage roll etc then you have a problem.

1 minute ago, DA Baracus said:

If you can go 90 minutes without a pie/sausage roll etc then you have a problem.

Yep. I mean, you dont even HAVE to go to the football. Like all fun things in life, it's a choice. 

And yet for one particular scenario, the number of people who otherwise manage to partake in a drink without turning into an extra off Green Street, decide that those of us who might like a beer at football (despite doing so before and after with no issues) can't be trusted. 

Yet, I can be in the Brockville Bar at 14:59, and back in at 16:50, aswell as a quick one at HT and that's totally fine...... Why?

There is clearly zero sensible justification for a blanket ban on a single demographic people, but it’s been in place so long it’s like the burden of proof is on fans and clubs to get it lifted. It should really be a government justifying why discriminatory legislation is required. 

I don’t care that much anymore, particularly if it’s just to legalise drinking in a concourse. But the principle of it is pretty shocking when you actually think about it. 

How does the law around alcohol currently work?

When we played our League Cup group games at Brechin, I saw they had a bar underneath the stand. But it was only accessible to anyone who had already passed through the turnstiles. So it’s not like clubs who might open a hospitality lounge for general access before you enter the ground proper. 

What is it that allows this kind of setup?

1 hour ago, DA Baracus said:

They should just do away with the football altogether. If you can’t get through the day without watching football for 90 minutes then you’re a clearly a criminal.

Does the BBC reporting Simo Valakari joined Riga "halfway through the season" count?

He joined them last December, which is between seasons in Latvia as they play March-November.

Seething at that Tanner post. Not just the patronising 'it's to protect fans, not punish them', but the 'timing of the discussion was woeful' stuff as well. Get yourself to f**k, what did you do to call out the ongoing 'challenging behaviour' of certain clubs when you were on the TV you sanctimonious arsehole ?

3 minutes ago, Wee-Bey said:

Seething at that Tanner post. Not just the patronising 'it's to protect fans, not punish them', but the 'timing of the discussion was woeful' stuff as well. Get yourself to f**k, what did you do to call out the ongoing 'challenging behaviour' of certain clubs when you were on the TV you sanctimonious arsehole ?

You see that sort of dismissive shite from politicians...

"What I'm hearing on the doorsteps is people want us to get on with the real issues" type bullshit.

Can't make an argument? Gaslight people that no argument exists, or that they are somehow being unreasonable for wanting to have it

10 hours ago, The Master said:

How does the law around alcohol currently work?

When we played our League Cup group games at Brechin, I saw they had a bar underneath the stand. But it was only accessible to anyone who had already passed through the turnstiles. So it’s not like clubs who might open a hospitality lounge for general access before you enter the ground proper. 

What is it that allows this kind of setup?

Is it because it's a non-league ground?  Just a stab in the dark. 

Tanner is a sanctimonious fanny. 

He’s lying about having a friend as well imo.

FWIW I’m not bothered about the option of a £7 pinto do Carling at a game (see also previous thoughts on food options at games) but can’t see why others shouldn’t be denied this. The “stadium experience” (urgh) has changed a lot since the 80s as has the clientele (more wifies and families etc etc). 

Stopping wee fannies snorting cooncil during the game is a bigger challenge.

Edited by Melanius Mullarkey

8 minutes ago, Alert Mongoose said:

Am I being too cynical by suggesting it appears to be the clubs who are driving this rather than the fans?

Clubs absolutely see this as another income stream, one which other smaller countries exploit at their football grounds without much trouble.

The problem with the law as it stands is that it was enacted so long ago that everyone has some kind of Stockholm Syndrome about it.

The points made above about the quality of pints served (will be shite) and the cost (will be expensive) are absolutely true.

But unless our league comes up with some decent quality sponsors to support the clubs, perhaps allowing them this additional income stream is fine - it certainly is with me, even if I wouldnt have a pint?

Maybe Police Scotland could put a ban in place for specific matches, maybe those involving Rangers and Celtic?

14 hours ago, SJFCtheTeamForMe said:

Another one. 

He's such a patronising arsehole. 

While you don't *need* to drink during a game of football. That isn't the point.

"Protecting fans"... Not allowing beer to be sold at half time doesn't protect a fan from anything?

In other countries I couldn't see this legislation being allowed...? Government legislation directly causing loss of income for a targeted specific business segment based on something a very specific group did 40 years ago. 

The answer then is to prohibit the Old Firm. As long as we have two clubs who go out of their way to monetise a half-witted, aggressive, secterian fanbase whose idea of civilised behaviour is urinating not defaecating in public spaces, then alcohol should be nowhere near Scottish football grounds.

They can't decide whether this is the Highland League or the Lowland League table, and it's not been updated since 21 September despite two of the sides playing each other on 27 September. This table has been well behind a few times this season.

Screenshot 2024-10-01 at 08.39.03.png

Screenshot 2024-10-01 at 08.39.15.png

As much as they are likely the main source of concern, a blanket ban on the old firm is almost as discriminatory as the current legislation and would be political suicide anyway. It just wouldn’t work. 

That principle is the exact same one that allows people to say it’s fine for rugby and not football, even though we know 99% of Scottish football matches pass off with almost no trouble.