The Terrible Journalism & Tom English Thread

3 minutes ago, Greenlantern said:

Is Pedro a tactical genius salvaging a point at home to Motherwell?

Good yin.

Apparently it's because he made all 3 subs at the same time. The first time this has ever been done.  #visionary #goingfor55

I meant to post this after the St Johnstone player's handbags the other day...20170403_211334.thumb.png.3df07933e6c9a9553459909420f44f1b.png

Cheating St Johnstone bassas should be investigated for fielding an entire Welsh team as well as their own players.

9 minutes ago, Dee Man said:

I meant to post this after the St Johnstone player's handbags the other day...20170403_211334.thumb.png.3df07933e6c9a9553459909420f44f1b.png

Cheating St Johnstone bassas should be investigated for fielding an entire Welsh team as well as their own players.

Seems like someone wrote the article on the 'notes' app on their iPhone and it changed 'Swanson' to 'Swansea' :lol:

On 30/3/2017 at 18:16, Ludo*1 said:

David Tanner is genuinely the worst football, nay actually, sports presenter I've seen in my life. I'd genuinely be hard pushed to pick someone who could do a worse job than he does for Sky and that has nothing to do with any alleged allegiances one way or the other.

Couldn't possibly be, as long as Isabella Müller-Reinhardt wreaks her Denglisch on viewers of Bundesliga Football Highlights - absolute car-crash TV presentation, with the added boak factor of backing Bayern München.

21 hours ago, TheScarf said:

The rags are queuing up to stick the boot into Warburton since he left aren't they?  Fucking pussies.  I thought he was the best manager in Scotland for winning a one horse race last season?

It's the Rangers way , level 5 wheel out the usual mouthpieces,. Brown and Goram ...Just shows these Muppets will do anything to keep in at Ibrox...Pity they kept quiet about their mate McCoist.

On 4/3/2017 at 08:44, TheScarf said:

Apparently it's because he made all 3 subs at the same time. The first time this has ever been done.  #visionary #goingfor55

The most memorable time I saw any manager do that was Mourinho back in his first spell at Chelsea.  It was an FA cup game against Newcastle and they made all 3 subs at half time.  Ended up with guys getting injured including the goalie so I think it was Damien Duff who finished the game in goal.

Chelsea lost for the record but it shows that this is less of a tactical masterclass as much as it is a stupid gamble.

23 minutes ago, senorsoupe said:

The most memorable time I saw any manager do that was Mourinho back in his first spell at Chelsea.  It was an FA cup game against Newcastle and they made all 3 subs at half time.  Ended up with guys getting injured including the goalie so I think it was Damien Duff who finished the game in goal.

Chelsea lost for the record but it shows that this is less of a tactical masterclass as much as it is a stupid gamble.

Like anything, it's a masterstroke if it comes off and a stupid gamble otherwise.  In this case, he did well to change things, but less said about the mistakes that put them in that position to start with.

In a good example of what we may call 'Daily Record logic', a feature piece is devoted to arguing Junior attendances are putting lower-league SPFL crowds
"in the shade".

Examples are cited from Pollok and a recent international weekend top-of-the-table clash at St Rochs. Admirable as the 2 statistics are, the problem is that Pollok are the only club who average more than any in SPFL, while St Rochs is comparing a huge outlier (it grabbed people's attention due to being so unusual) with averages.

Nevertheless out intrepid columnist ventures further and calls the bold assertion that "some Junior clubs have a following to at least compete with Clyde, Berwick, Stranraer and all". Unfortunately those 3 clubs averaged about 600, 450, and 500 last season again putting them well above all bar Pollok... Not to rest here our bold journo then asserts the signing of Ryan Stevenson will be sure to send crowds rising at Troon.

Why stop there though. Next we get some quotes from an ex West Junior official who asserts that the problem within SPFL football is a 1-horse race (the West Juniors are currently led by Auchinleck going for their 5th straight title), and too many meaningless games (cursory examination of the tables showing barely a single SPFL club with nothing to play for in the last month).

We close with further discussions of how good Junior crowds are and what SPFL clubs might learn from them.

I see the idea behind it, but contextually it's almost a work of fiction: http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/loony-joons-bumper-crowds-put-10134871

Edited by HibeeJibee

1 hour ago, HibeeJibee said:

In a good example of what we may call 'Daily Record logic', a feature piece is devoted to arguing Junior attendances are putting lower-league SPFL crowds
"in the shade".

Examples are cited from Pollok and a recent international weekend top-of-the-table clash at St Rochs. Admirable as the 2 statistics are, the problem is that Pollok are the only club who average more than any in SPFL, while St Rochs is comparing a huge outlier (it grabbed people's attention due to being so unusual) with averages.

Nevertheless out intrepid columnist ventures further and calls the bold assertion that "some Junior clubs have a following to at least compete with Clyde, Berwick, Stranraer and all". Unfortunately those 3 clubs averaged about 600, 450, and 500 last season again putting them well above all bar Pollok... Not to rest here our bold journo then asserts the signing of Ryan Stevenson will be sure to send crowds rising at Troon.

Why stop there though. Next we get some quotes from an ex West Junior official who asserts that the problem within SPFL football is a 1-horse race (the West Juniors are currently led by Auchinleck going for their 5th straight title), and too many meaningless games (cursory examination of the tables showing barely a single SPFL club with nothing to play for in the last month).

We close with further discussions of how good Junior crowds are and what SPFL clubs might learn from them.

I see the idea behind it, but contextually it's almost a work of fiction: http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/loony-joons-bumper-crowds-put-10134871

It should be pointed out that Fraser Wilson is or was a Junior football goalie, so no surprise he's talking out of his arse regarding Junior attendances. He also omits to point out the only reason for the hyper-inflated St Roch's crowd (who are usually lucky to get 20 paying punters at what's left of their gate) is because of who they were playing - in the local scheme goblins' logic this makes it a Cufflink club versus a Proddy one like the Old Firm & so they drag their knuckles along to a ground that doesn't see them at any other time (largely to shout obscenities at that). Royal Albert got much of the same attention (the first part of their name doubtless making them doubly "offensive") even after leaving Larkhall for the Costa del Stonehouse.

Still, you could forgive some for failing to see cold reality: with certain Junior clubs' fans bizarre habit of running multiple alias at once in their threadbare regulated section of the P&B forum, they may think it's normal to put their sides' attendance figures through the same schizophrenic statistical analysis!

Edited by WaffenThinMint

6 hours ago, senorsoupe said:

Now you've brought that up there will be articles claiming Caixinha is better than Mourinho by the end of the week.

When i heard at half-time on Saturday he'd subbed defenders I knew there'd be articles hailing him a managerial genius if it worked. Nothing surer.

Goram kept plenty shots out due to his, err size! Leighton was a far superior keeper and so are all modern keepers tbh. Pity about his present circs though, spotted recently banging on the door of off license on Union St here in Oldham, very sad... 

10 hours ago, AndySmith said:

Goram kept plenty shots out due to his, err size! Leighton was a far superior keeper and so are all modern keepers tbh. Pity about his present circs though, spotted recently banging on the door of off license on Union St here in Oldham, very sad... 

He's a total c**t so I'm not sure I agree it is sad.