The Terrible Journalism & Tom English Thread

This thread sprung to mind this morning as I was listening to the Guardian's Football Weekly podcast and they handed over to Hayley McQueen for her expert insight on all things Scottish football.  Every bit as bad as you might imagine.

2 minutes ago, Pettigrew said:

This thread sprung to mind this morning as I was listening to the Guardian's Football Weekly podcast and they handed over to Hayley McQueen for her expert insight on all things Scottish football.  Every bit as bad as you might imagine.

I was about to post this.  Given they introduced her as their 'first ever Scotch guest, and now they would do "fitba" justice', some of my highlights were:

- following Scotland because her Dad makes her

- referring to Man United as 'we' throughout

- saying she liked Harry Wilson, the Wales player, because he had a 'great English name'

- her general fulfilment of the stereotype of a Sky Sports presenter's knowledge of Scottish football

1 hour ago, Dons_1988 said:

I was about to post this.  Given they introduced her as their 'first ever Scotch guest, and now they would do "fitba" justice', some of my highlights were:

- following Scotland because her Dad makes her

- referring to Man United as 'we' throughout

- saying she liked Harry Wilson, the Wales player, because he had a 'great English name'

- her general fulfilment of the stereotype of a Sky Sports presenter's knowledge of Scottish football

They used to have Kevin McCarra on but that was probably just as bad because it would seem he stopped following Scottish football a long time ago.  Ewan Murray at least knows about what's happening up here, even if you don't like him.

I pretty much stopped listening to Football Weekly after James Richardson left but I was getting bored of their "we don't know anything about Scottish football, how hilarious" schtick anyway. Either cover it properly or don't bother at all. 

4 minutes ago, Darren said:

They used to have Kevin McCarra on but that was probably just as bad because it would seem he stopped following Scottish football a long time ago.  Ewan Murray at least knows about what's happening up here, even if you don't like him.

I pretty much stopped listening to Football Weekly after James Richardson left but I was getting bored of their "we don't know anything about Scottish football, how hilarious" schtick anyway. Either cover it properly or don't bother at all. 

It's the only non-Scottish football podcast I listen to as they generally don't seem to take themselves too seriously.

You're right though the whole 'we get lots of complaints about how little we know about Scottish football HAHAHAHA' wears thin and panders to the worst of their English audience.  I don't listen to it expecting any decent 'fitba' coverage anyway so you might as well just not bother.

2 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

It's the only non-Scottish football podcast I listen to as they generally don't seem to take themselves too seriously.

You're right though the whole 'we get lots of complaints about how little we know about Scottish football HAHAHAHA' wears thin and panders to the worst of their English audience.  I don't listen to it expecting any decent 'fitba' coverage anyway so you might as well just not bother.

I listen to the Football Ramble for a more humorous take. The irony is the presenter at least knows a bit about Scottish football. I just stopped finding Football Weekly informative or entertaining.