The Terrible Journalism & Tom English Thread

I guess succulent lamb isn't served alongside the racism and sexism.

What a self-indulgent tit. Imagine vowing never to go somewhere again regardless of what changes might occur over a generation, then using that to virtue signal.

28 minutes ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

A tweet sandwiched in amongst a dozen articles on how Malky Mackay is a Right Good Guy.

Edited by Fratelli

What a self-indulgent tit. Imagine vowing never to go somewhere again regardless of what changes might occur over a generation, then using that to virtue signal.

Clearly the changes haven't occurred though, thus proving him entirely right on this occasion.

3 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:
29 minutes ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

Just now, craigkillie said:

Clearly the changes haven't occurred though, thus proving him entirely right on this occasion.

Not really. 

Another course of action would have been to stand up for what he implies were his principles and try to influence the organisation. 

Not really. 
Another course of action would have been to stand up for what he implies were his principles and try to influence the organisation. 

He claims to have regularly written articles about it between 1998 and 2005. The fact that he gave it two years before deciding to pack in attending the awards suggests he did attempt to influence it before giving up.

He's not been proven entirely right though as never has yet to run its course.

Even if it was correct not to go for the last 22 years he couldn't possibly have known that at the time, making him more lucky than correct. Making open-ended promises is almost always foolish.

Who would have thought an old white bloke, with a stiffy for all things Rangers, would deliver an after dinner speech that doesn't reflect modern culture.

Perfect for a large part of the journo audience of course, many still live in that world, the rest of us have moved on and I applaud Barbour, Bennett and others for calling this sort of shit out.

As for Spiers, he may be right regarding his non-attendance, but part of me thinks it was nothing to do with the content and all to do with Spiers not getting the attention he thinks he deserves, and is now able to play the virtue signalling card.

Edited by Ric

56 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:
1 hour ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

Tosh.  He's spent 20 years lampooning this kind of behaviour in Scottish football.  The one at fault isn't the one who stopped attending the event.

44 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

He claims to have regularly written articles about it between 1998 and 2005. The fact that he gave it two years before deciding to pack in attending the awards suggests he did attempt to influence it before giving up.

Fair enough then. He obviously lacks the clout or support to change much i guess

Tosh.  He's spent 20 years lampooning this kind of behaviour in Scottish football.  The one at fault isn't the one who stopped attending the event.
I didn't say he was at fault for it, I said he was a tit. The actions of others do not affect my assessment of Spiers.

Apparently quite a few racist jokes made about our Asian players if Twitter is to be believed 
Im guessing this event is held behind closed doors with no camera allowed?

Every private function is "behind closed doors", are you expecting it to be broadcast live on the BBC?

15 minutes ago, Clown Job said:

Apparently quite a few racist jokes made about our Asian players if Twitter is to be believed 

Im guessing this event is held behind closed doors with no camera allowed?

If I told you that it wasn't until nearly 2000 that they actually allowed women into the event, would you be surprised?

Edit: I should point out as guests, not as waiting staff, I'm sure they were happy the 'pretty little things' were bringing them a fresh G&T just so long as they don't actively participate in the evening. After all, such scatter brained lovelies are highly unlikely to even understand the rules of football, let alone being able to make commentary on it.

Edited by Ric

1 hour ago, Jammyp said:

I was claiming that your manager had more money than everyone else, therefore winning the league with a game or two to go was not really worthy of an award. I didn't mention where the money had come from.

Hence your post being misleading and also shows how well his transfers have been to build a successful team with 20 million extra in the bank . If you take that in to account, the huge gap from last season to a decent one for us now, losing our captain, top scorer, best defender amongst others he certainly should be in consideration for the awards to go from that to success in a short space of time. Although Neilson would have a right to feel aggrieved if he wins the Scottish cup but the awards system has always had this early flaw.

6 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Every private function is "behind closed doors", are you expecting it to be broadcast live on the BBC?

Obviously not, don’t know why you felt the need to single that comment out.

Usually award ceremonies are filmed by the organisers themselves, with snippets of the night put out on social media or from people attending since we all have a camera in our pocket these days.