The Terrible Journalism & Tom English Thread

59 minutes ago, Munoz said:

My memory must be getting foggy- i was thinking in 97 we were playing the likes of Clydebank in the old 1st Division. 

BBC, so it must be right.

Screenshot_20230520-175522_Chrome.jpg

Haha, St Mirren finished mid table in 95/96 and 96/97!

f**k knows where they pulled that nonsense from.

19 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Haha, St Mirren finished mid table in 95/96 and 96/97!

f**k knows where they pulled that nonsense from.

4th in 97 just outside the playoffs, but aye the BEEB talk shite.

I am not sure either. It was fucking shocking. Yer not allowed criticism of the Women's game though I don't think.

Maybe the comparison to the men's game? But isn't that the point in equality?

Edit: I have went near full "yer da" too.

Edited by Busta Nut

Rangers chucking in a 92nd goal to ensure Celtic don't win the title?  Aye, nothing dodgy about that at all :lol:

Graham Speirs is a bellend of the highest order, but not too much wrong with his tweet from what I can see.  Possibly no need for the "if this has been men's football" reference.  Just absolutely hammer the passage of play for the shambles it was.

I think it's more that a supposed football writer watched the Tweet (or implies he did) rather than the game.

Remember he's the same guy who, when the new Rangers club was parachuted into League 2, was forced to go to more games without OF involvement, and remarked with surprise on seeing local people going to watch their local teams.

Were rangers not chasing a winner? That might explain the lack of bodies at the back. 

I think there is a hint of yer da there to be honest. His instinct is to make a ‘if that was the men’s game’ comment which isn’t ideal. 

I can’t claim to be a champion of the womens game, I rarely watch any of it, but I’m not going to go out of my way to make a comment on it or a very short clip of it as I have no real knowledge. 

Spiers is 100% a da figure, and the way he's worded this is an expression of that.

But there is a general point that it's probably time the commentators and pundits started holding women's football to a higher standard. There is a real reluctance to criticise anything or anyone. I watch a fair amount of it as my neighbour and his daughter are quite into it and I'll chat to them about it and have gone to the odd game.

I enjoy it, but it does feel really forced sometimes when you hear commentators avoiding the elephant in the room by not criticising things that are obvious, obvious errors or deficiences in teams or players. They're not weans. A bad goal can be called out as a bad goal.

In this case, it is poor defending, but I think the mitigation is that they were obviously pushing for a chance to win the league. We see similar things in the men's game. Hearts have to win at Ibrox on Wednesday, if it's 0-0 late on, would anyone be surprised if we lost a really bad goal by chucking players forward and leaving space?

When womens football gets 1% of the money and resources men's football does to drive up standards then yer da can start to compare the two. 

They should be getting criticised on their own merits though. The national team have been pathetic since that capitulation to Argentina in the world Cup.

2 hours ago, Desp said:

Rangers chucking in a 92nd goal to ensure Celtic don't win the title?  Aye, nothing dodgy about that at all :lol:

The funny thing for me was, after Glasgow City went in front, Rangers needed three goals to win the title, and it was already deep in stoppage time. It wasn't happening.

However, if they had equalised it would have handed the title back to Celtic, and they were going all out for the equaliser and were unlucky not to get it.

25 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

When womens football gets 1% of the money and resources men's football does to drive up standards then yer da can start to compare the two. 

Is that true? Would you not call out mistakes in a boys club game or amateur game cos their budgets? Any level of football is compared to even the top level when it is basic stuff. I don't think it's wrong for anyone to receive criticism. I think @VincentGuerin nailed it

Mens game defending: Ormiston v Whitburn last Wednesday. Ormiston right back lets ball go past him thinking big Whitburn striker next to him will be flagged offside. Hasn't noticed the wee Whitburn winger come from onside on the right gleefully accept the ball, advance round the keeper and score Whitburn's 4th. 

Rangers Women (older than the men's team, aha ha ha) also might have qualified for Europe in 2nd place ahead of Glasgow City or Celtic if they'd equalised. 

It’s hyperbole from Spiers, really. His follow up tweet in response to Alison McConnell he suggests Rangers had “literally no-one there”, is just a lazy view.

Rangers were obviously pushing for a goal late on (a goal for them and a Celtic concession would’ve won them the title). They unfortunately got caught out with players up the park, but even when you look at the point the GC striker received the ball in front of goal, two defenders had got back to within about 2/3 yards of her before she put it in the net.

It’s just encouraging a pile on of “we know why they conceded” etc. etc. which is just nonsense, especially considering how hard they pushed for an equaliser straight after it.