Michelle Mone (again)

~~~

And so begins the asset sale. I have copied the usual Daily Mail paragraph-for-a-headline below. 

Baroness Bra flogs her assets 'for a £29m loss': Michelle Mone and billionaire husband launch £80m fire sale of their £41m Caribbean villa, £7m superyacht and £7.5m private jet after her bank accounts were frozen amid PPE scandal

How dare the media force her into it etc, wah wah wah. 

On 03/01/2024 at 17:29, Michael W said:

And so begins the asset sale. I have copied the usual Daily Mail paragraph-for-a-headline below. 

How dare the media force her into it etc, wah wah wah. 

A decent, if eviscerating, commentary in the Guardian this am - 

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2024/jan/07/baroness-michelle-mone-bra-tycoon-lies-press-intrusion

Perhaps MiMo should follow the example of Paula Vennells (Subpostmaster's Scandal) and hand her Gong back.

More importantly she & Doug should definitely hand the money back - I'm not falling for the "riches to rags" stories!

Edited by btb

I enjoyed Mone's response. Didn't put forward any rebuttal of Dan Neidle's analysis, and highlighted that the person writing about her and her husband's tax affairs is the former Head of Tax at a large law firm. So, no disagreement and you're saying the man knows what he's talking about. Well done, 'Baroness'. 

Bet Prince Andrew is pleased. Maybe some of the textbooks 10-15 years from now will use Mone as the case study example of dreadful PR management instead of him. 

16 hours ago, doulikefish said:

" I don't see what we have done wrong"  Lying about involvement with PPE Medpro worked for a few years but now that you have admitted that it was a "mis-truth" you can expect further scrutiny of any company you have been involved with in the past.  I am really enjoying the whole unravelling of the Barrowman / Mone empire affair and custodial sentences are surely on the horizon.

If as expected we get a Labour government later this year I really hope that they are serious about tax fraud / evasion and it's not just another false promise.  The schemes Barrowman and his companies ran sound very much like those used by the former Glasgow Rangers FC - loans instead of increased wages with no prospect (or desire) to get them paid back  It would be the icing on the cake if it turned out to be Barrowman behind the Rangers EBT's 

19 minutes ago, Caledonian1 said:

" I don't see what we have done wrong"  Lying about involvement with PPE Medpro worked for a few years but now that you have admitted that it was a "mis-truth" you can expect further scrutiny of any company you have been involved with in the past.  I am really enjoying the whole unravelling of the Barrowman / Mone empire affair and custodial sentences are surely on the horizon.

If as expected we get a Labour government later this year I really hope that they are serious about tax fraud / evasion and it's not just another false promise.  The schemes Barrowman and his companies ran sound very much like those used by the former Glasgow Rangers FC - loans instead of increased wages with no prospect (or desire) to get them paid back  It would be the icing on the cake if it turned out to be Barrowman behind the Rangers EBT's 

I'd bet my house on Mone never seeing the inside of a Court never mind being convicted and jailed unfortunately. If the heat is turned up they will be safely ensconced in their yacht in somewhere tropical with no extradition deal.

51 minutes ago, Caledonian1 said:

Depends what you mean here. If an avoidance scheme fails, the people that bought into it end up having to pay the tax that they avoided, possibly with a penalty on top of it as well. So the tax is then payable- this presents some challenges as the vast majority cannot afford to do so. The taxpayer remains responsible for the payment, not the agent (or whatever they describe themselves as) that sold the scheme. The effect is that the tax is then due and so HMRC gets its money, notwithstanding that collecting it from some might be challenging because they can't afford it. 

The people selling these schemes, who are of course smarter than accountants and mainstream tax advisers, and spotted a gap that these so-called experts did not, usually then f**k off the moment that their scheme is challenged and they lose. Which is just about always, because contrived schemes that abuse available tax reliefs with no economic justification will just about always fail since 2010. 

Anyway, these guys disappear and left behind are the people that paid them a nice fee for their "Fully insured, QC/KC approved structure", who now have a very large tax bill to pay. To get the insurance payout you were promised, you have to sue the provider and win. But they have dissolved, and the man behind it lives on the Isle of Man, or in Malta or somewhere. You've had it. 

The part needing changed is liability for promoters that swll dodgy/fraudulent schemes. As it is, there is no barrier ti them offering these schemes. If they were prosecuted for doing so, it might deter them. Secondly, anyone in the UK can act as a tax advisor. This needs to change as well, to weed out shysters like Barrowman. 

30 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

I'd bet my house on Mone never seeing the inside of a Court never mind being convicted and jailed unfortunately. If the heat is turned up they will be safely ensconced in their yacht in somewhere tropical with no extradition deal.

Depends on whether they run out of money before the sell it tbh. 

Edited by Michael W

There will be dozens of these Tory c***s up to their necks in this kind of stuff. Hopefully those doing the digging on the opaque dealings of Barrowman will have the time to apply the same diligence to the rest. 

6 hours ago, Michael W said:

Depends what you mean here. If an avoidance scheme fails, the people that bought into it end up having to pay the tax that they avoided, possibly with a penalty on top of it as well. So the tax is then payable- this presents some challenges as the vast majority cannot afford to do so. The taxpayer remains responsible for the payment, not the agent (or whatever they describe themselves as) that sold the scheme. The effect is that the tax is then due and so HMRC gets its money, notwithstanding that collecting it from some might be challenging because they can't afford it. 

There is a naivety to taking on these "plans" and a portion of the blame should lie with the recipient. As you say though, the people who make the most from these schemes, are long gone by the time the taxman catches up.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/up-60000-workers-hounded-taxman-31914691

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2024/jan/26/michelle-mone-assets-frozen-nca-investigates-fraud

"The disgraced Conservative peer Michelle Mone and her husband have reportedly had about £75m of assets frozen or restrained by a court order.

The pair face an investigation by the National Crime Agency into alleged medical equipment fraud. The Financial Times reported that the frozen assets included a six-bedroom central London townhouse, a country estate on the Isle of Man, and 15 accounts with Coutts, C Hoare & Co and Goldman Sachs International.

Issued in December, the restraint order blocks Mone, a lingerie entrepreneur, and her husband, the financier Douglas Barrowman, from selling some of the assets and places restrictions on others.

Mone and Barrowman, who is based in the Isle of Man, agreed to the court order after an application by the Crown Prosecution Service under the Proceeds of Crime Act."

Dog Eat Dog......................

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2024/jan/26/michelle-mone-former-lawyer-says-he-wants-apology-damage-to-reputation

"Jonathan Coad, a media lawyer and commentator, threatened to issue a preliminary letter for a libel claim against the Conservative peer. In a letter seen by the Guardian, he accused her and her husband of having “abused the hard-won reputation and standing that I enjoyed in the media industry by instructing me repeatedly to disseminate lies”.