The Big Renfrewshire Derby: Greenock Morton v The Spoon-Burners

• Replies 891
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I still think the tackle for the sending off was a bit reckless and the boy was a bit out control with his body,full blooded tackle but looked bad and I can see why the numpty of a ref sent him off. I don't think the ref can look back at the game and think he had a good game either, he seemed to panic at times. But I will raise my glass to the numpty for chalking off a perfectly good header from Thompson, you seen them given you seen them chalked off.

I see it as points dropped for Morton,the Midden were there for the taking,we need to look at the goal scoring options,we are soft as shoite upfront

Anybody hear of any trouble outside. Hope it all passed of peacefully. Good advert for second tier football in Scotland. Atmosphere better than top tier football by a mile.

There was widespread panic and confusion amongst the St mirren fans after a Greenock fan threw a bar of soap in their direction

I can see why the ref has disallowed the goal, as there is a coming together between Gaston and one of the St Mirren players, but there's no way it should have been disallowed as Gats was getting nowhere hear the ball. Real get out of jail free card that. The red card was also very harsh, reckon a booking would have been about right.

Having watched the highlights on the bbc website, I don't know how MacDonald has missed that chance right at the end. The place would have absolutely erupted if that had gone in, but it epitomises Peaso nowadays, he just doesn't seem to have the killer instinct around the box anymore.

We should have won that one, definitely feels like 2 points dropped. Jim Goodwin won the point for St Mirren, he done everything that you would want an experienced holding midfielder to do, by breaking up play, conceding little fouls to affect our rhythm when we were getting on top, and generally winding everyone up. I would love a player like that in our team, exactly what we need.

Oh well, we move on to the next game. We need to be beating Alloa and Livi to have any chance of staying up.

St Mirren fans companion about the referee :lol:

The goal should have stood but the red was deserved, and Goodwin and Thomson should've been sent packing as well.

If the goal stands it's a different game.We have every right to complain about the ref. That was a game changer .

Can't argue with your second point though.

Are you suggesting he's not looking and running at Goodwin and takes a swing?

Hi tries to trip him and push him.

Hard to see from the GIF whether he succeeded with one or both, but it's briliant to see fans of other clubs soooo desperate to have a go at Jim that they're willing to forget the laws of physics :-)

Clear the Morton fans had been watching Sportcene last season as the howls of abuse aimed at Goodwin every time he put in any sort of tackle were brilliant.

Jim though was back to his old reckless self at times. Hopefully just the atmosphere getting the better of him.

We do need him in the team, but the one that went 15 games last season without a yellow, not the one getting sent off every few weeks.

We should have won that one, definitely feels like 2 points dropped. Jim Goodwin won the point for St Mirren, he done everything that you would want an experienced holding midfielder to do, by breaking up play, conceding little fouls to affect our rhythm when we were getting on top, and generally winding everyone up. I would love a player like that in our team, exactly what we need.

It's a pleasure to read comments from someone who actually understands the work that the likes of Goodwin do. There are some games this season in which his experience and his spoiling will be invaluable for us.

There's no denying that Goodwin had a very good game and especially after the red card did exactly what he was there to do, playing a massive part in our failure to win. I don't see anyone arguing otherwise, just people pointing out that he's a fucking animal who should have been sent off but played the referee like a fiddle, which is as indisputable as the point that Morton couldn't cope with his presence in midfield.

I can see why the ref has disallowed the goal, as there is a coming together between Gaston and one of the St Mirren players, but there's no way it should have been disallowed as Gats was getting nowhere hear the ball. Real get out of jail free card that. The red card was also very harsh, reckon a booking would have been about right.

Having watched the highlights on the bbc website, I don't know how MacDonald has missed that chance right at the end. The place would have absolutely erupted if that had gone in, but it epitomises Peaso nowadays, he just doesn't seem to have the killer instinct around the box anymore.

Oh well, we move on to the next game. We need to be beating Alloa and Livi to have any chance of staying up.

That's not really how it works though. If it's a foul it doesn't matter if Gaston was going to get there or not. It was a really silly foul to make.

We're certain to go down.

There's a fair bit of sense in the rest of your post, but the bit above is just plain daft. Three games into the season absolutely NOTHING is certain.

You draw comparison with the Morton team of two seasons back, and we both agree that the current team is way better than that; not least for the fighting spirit that Duffy seems to have instilled in the group. Yes, we need to either sign a goal scorer or find one from within the group - we'll miss Caldwell's contribution, big Johnstone hasn't really shown he can convert enough chances and Peaso can't do it all on his own - but there's no reason to think we won't continue to compete well against most teams in this league, and when Tidser is back we'll have more quality and balance in the middle of the park than we have now. Given another decent forward and a good experienced defender I'd be confident we'd stay up and even without them I think we could finish above two or three of the other teams here.

We're far from certain to stay up - but no way are we certain to go down at the moment.

Much easier said than done I know but if Morton could add a reliable goalscorer, they'd be fine. Even against us, altthough 1-0 ended up being extremely flattering, they missed a sitter at 0-0.

St Mirren just looked absolutely jobbies. I'll bet Saints fans are secretly relieved to have had a man sent off so they've got something to cling on to now.

Archived