The Big Renfrewshire Derby: Greenock Morton v The Spoon-Burners

• Replies 891
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think I predicted 8th for St Mirren on the league predictions thread. Would any Saints fans take that having seen their dismal start?

I'd be incredibly disappointed by 8th. However we've been fucking dreadful and haven't really dominated a game. The optimism of this season that a lot of people had- compete well, win some games, maybe top 4 has drained out of me. We look really, really poor still.

I think the squad is decent enough too but Ian Murray needs to get it right and quickly on the pitch. If this continues he'll be gone by Christmas- hasn't impressed me one bit in the matches so far. I mean we have Langfield to thank for a point (refereeing calls aside) and that says it all.

I wonder if Agnew is part of the issue- we looked more solid when he went off even down to 10 in midfield. He seems to have a free role, and drops deep to pick up the ball. When it was Carswell and Goodwin it was a lot more solid and better positionally. Perhaps we need to get a solid team playing well first before trying to run.

I don't mind 1 up top, but you need a link between midfield and the striker- we had that in previous years- McGowan and McLean, Agnew could do that role, but doesn't play there.

The two games against Livi are must wins, and we need a good performance in both.

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByPie & Bovril1440202909.060714.jpg

How the f*ck did McCluskey get booked for that and Goodwin got away with f*ck all? The c*nt went down holding his face as well p***k.

As I said last night the ref had a shocker for both teams - and not in a "Well, that must mean he did OK way". He was awful. That incident was one of two where no one seemed to have a clue who had been awarded the free-kick. There was one in the first half where it looked as if Carswell had wiped someone out, the Morton players started running upfield, then we took the free-kick!

I had never heard of that ref before, what's his reputation like in the lower leagues? I accept we're going to get a lot of newer refs now we're a division lower but I'd have thought last night we'd get someone a bit more experienced. He was quicker than Usain Bolt running over to show the red card and judging by his record over the past few seasons he's a bit card happy: http://www.soccerbase.com/referees/referee.sd?referee_id=1306

Oh, and that Goodwin gif has had more than 100 retweets :lol: It's the equivalent of the film festival in the Simpsons: "his articles had heart, but Jim Goodwin Looking Like a Fud had Jim Goodwin looking like a fud".

That red is a shiter too.

Two major decisions in the game. The goal and the red card. We've been done on both of them.

And still, they can't beat us.

Pro tip: trying to troll opposition fans doesn't work as well through floods of tears.

I thought jack Baird was outstanding and am looking forward to watching him this season.

I felt Sean Kelly was rather weak tonight, Johnstone had him all over the place.

I agree with you, I thought Kelly was really poor tonight and all of his clearances went straight back to a Morton player. Baird was great, I don't think he lost a header all game.

Although we looked solid enough with Goodwin and Carswell, I think the midfield is too negative with just those two in it. Carswell is tidy but offers very little going forward. We're relying a lot on Agnew to create things if we stick with that starting midfield so I hope he's up to it.

Pro tip: trying to troll opposition fans doesn't work as well through floods of tears.

Lex ain't trolling, he firmly believes what he typed, which makes it even funnier :lol:

Ian Murray's personal grooming and cleanliness has diminished somewhat. He's up there challenging Hartley and Neison in the manky stakes.

It's the modern-day Paisley Pattern.

Come the return fixture he'll be a dead ringer for Rab C Nesbitt.

Unless he's done a Tommy Craig before then, of course.......

I thought Gallagher did well when be came on. He should have started up with Thommo. Murray playing Thompson up front on his own is baffling.

Morton are shite. We'll finish comfortably ahead of them in the final standings.

I might be alone in this but I thought we were f'king shite. You're kidding, right? EVERYBODY who saw that game thinks St Murn were rotten.

Don't get me wrong I think our goal should have stood and Conlon shouldn't have been sent off, both major decisions. Well, actually, having watched the recording of it now I'd say you're wrong on both counts. And other "major" decisions that you don't mention meant Thompson and Goodwin WEREN'T red-carded.

The length of time it took Howieson to walk off when being subbed! EH?? So what? Have you ever seen a player HAPPY to be subbed?

I went into the season expecting to at the very least be entertained, and hopefully get a top four finish. Join the club mate. I felt the same about Morton two seasons ago. Don't want to worry you, but look how THAT worked out for us.......

I agree with you, I thought Kelly was really poor tonight and all of his clearances went straight back to a Morton player. Baird was great, I don't think he lost a header all game.

Although we looked solid enough with Goodwin and Carswell, I think the midfield is too negative with just those two in it. Carswell is tidy but offers very little going forward. We're relying a lot on Agnew to create things if we stick with that starting midfield so I hope he's up to it.

Carswell is tidy but haven't seen him do enough yet. He was playing in several positions yesterday including in behind Thommo but you hardly notice he's playing.

Agnew will be the creative spark. I'd play Mallan over Carswell and Morgan over Howieson. If Shabklands signs he'll probably be our number 1 striker.

Shame Goodwin can't be cited for that because he got a yellow. Thug.

He didn't: McCluskey was booked and St. Mirren were given a free-kick. St. Mirren fans actually complain about Goodwin being victimised. :lol: If he isn't cited then the only conclusion that can be drawn is that no one at the SFA bothered their arse to watch the game. That said, we can't complain about the refereeing in terms of the impact on the game as they had a perfectly good goal disallowed and we were never, ever going to score, so things balanced out in our favour despite the fact they were extremely lucky to only be down to ten.

Anyway, it's a strange state of affairs. At the start of the season I was entirely expecting three defeats from our first three games and wouldn't have been surprised to be outplayed in all three and have a goal difference worse than -10 already. As it's turned out we've taken two points, the one defeat has been narrow and we've been the better team in one of the draws. Yet somehow I actually feel more pessimistic now than I did before the season started.

If we can find ourselves in a situation where we're at home to a team in poor form who go down to 10 men for a significant portion of the game and still contrive not to score, there's absolutely no reason to believe we're capable of staying up. It's incredible in a way, we're obviously a considerably better team than the useless rabble we were when being relegated from this division two seasons ago but somehow, despite starting that season with Kabba Modou-Cham and Archie Campbell as our only strikers, we've got even less of a goal threat now. We're absolutely toothless and I simply don't see how we're ever going to win games with that in mind. We're certain to go down.

Is it ok, now, to say that Murray has never been that great a manager? He's fashionable, so got touted for big jobs until Saintees took the plunge but hes never really done anything of note to deserve his reputation.

Not having that. Keeping Dumbarton up the season he took them over was basically witchcraft and he somehow did even better the following season and challenged for a playoff place before finishing fifth. If St. Mirren are still this bad in three or four months time it'll be fair to start asking that question, but unfortunately for us (as if they were to play like that every week they're the only team we could finish above) I think they'll get their act together soon enough despite the horribly slow start.

Ref was a complete helmet last night. Perfectly good goal disallowed and red card for a challenge worthy of a yellow. We were really poor, Thompson desperately needs help up front. Didn't understand the choice of both Carswell and Goodwin, almost seemed as if we were setting up for the draw.

He didn't: McCluskey was booked and St. Mirren were given a free-kick. St. Mirren fans actually complain about Goodwin being victimised. :lol: If he isn't cited then the only conclusion that can be drawn is that no one at the SFA bothered their arse to watch the game. That said, we can't complain about the refereeing in terms of the impact on the game as they had a perfectly good goal disallowed and we were never, ever going to score, so things balanced out in our favour despite the fact they were extremely lucky to only be down to ten.

Anyway, it's a strange state of affairs. At the start of the season I was entirely expecting three defeats from our first three games and wouldn't have been surprised to be outplayed in all three and have a goal difference worse than -10 already. As it's turned out we've taken two points, the one defeat has been narrow and we've been the better team in one of the draws. Yet somehow I actually feel more pessimistic now than I did before the season started.

If we can find ourselves in a situation where we're at home to a team in poor form who go down to 10 men for a significant portion of the game and still contrive not to score, there's absolutely no reason to believe we're capable of staying up. It's incredible in a way, we're obviously a considerably better team than the absolutely rabble we were when being relegated from this division two seasons ago but somehow, despite starting that season with Kabba Modou-Cham and Archie Campbell as our only strikers, we've got even less of a goal threat now. We're absolutely toothless and I simply don't see how we're ever going to win games with that in mind. We're certain to go down.

Not having that. Keeping Dumbarton up the season he took them over was basically witchcraft and he somehow did even better the following season and challenged for a playoff place before finishing fifth. If St. Mirren are still this bad in three or four months time it'll be fair to start asking that question, but unfortunately for us (as if they were to play like that every week they're the only team we could finish above) I think they'll get their act together soon enough despite the horribly slow start.

I agree with your last paragraph I think we need about 6 to 8 weeks to come to terms with this division.

Archived