Montrose v Clyde

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Delicious. That's exactly the kind of game we'd have lost last year.

Clyde's cloggers looked utterly clueless when we kept it on the carpet, they were looking a bit better between the penalty miss and the goal, but folded tamely after that.

Enjoying this start, but not getting carried away yet.

Out played, out thought, out fought. Absolutely crap, no one who even looks capable of scoring.

This is the team Barry carefully assembled over the close season - didn't he do well!

Just go now, Ferguson, and stop embarrassing us. Anyone who still believes you can become a good manager is clearly deluded.

He can always bin this team and sign more players in January though. . .

We should of have a penalty at 0-0 but we just wernt good enough full stop.

#titleparty

Stonewall pen imo, as I said the ref was was awful for both sides.

In saying that we were the better side although I was being to wonder where the breakthrough was coming from. We toiled and started lobbing balls to the two mahoosive centre backs who mopped everything up until, Smith missed only one header all game which unfortunately for Clyde led to Fraser's well taken goal which was our second.

Once we took the lead it was all over, Clyde huffed and puffed but struggled to create an opening and when they did the finishing was terrible.

We looked solid, pushing and pressuring all game with everyone working tirelessly.

Can I just say to the doubters, that's why we kept Webby on the books.

Stonewall pen imo, as I said the ref was was awful for both sides.

In saying that we were the better side although I was being to wonder where the breakthrough was coming from. We toiled and started lobbing balls to the two mahoosive centre backs who mopped everything up until, Smith missed only one header all game which unfortunately for Clyde led to Fraser's well taken goal which was our second.

Once we took the lead it was all over, Clyde huffed and puffed but struggled to create an opening and when they did the finishing was terrible.

We looked solid, pushing and pressuring all game with everyone working tirelessly.

Can I just say to the doubters, that's why we kept Webby on the books.

two cracking results for montrose against opposition that some (including myself ) thought would be near the top early days but good start for a team considered as relegation cannon fodder

It's too slow in and around the middle of the pitch - yes. Its age is, except perhaps in the case of Scott McLaughlin, unconnected to that however.

Scott McLaughlin is only 31, his age isn't the problem. His lack of ability as a footballer is much more of an issue.

Important for people to not over react if we lose. Montrose look much improved.

^^^ Easiest wind-up ever.

Though there's actually some semblance of truth in what I said. Montrose were miles better than last season and deserve credit for their performance. I expect them to drop off when that starting eleven is disrupted as the all compliment each other quite well but we got them at a bad time today; fresh from a crushing derby win and playing with plenty of confidence.

That said, it was a pretty even game all in with plenty of goalmouth incident, a bit of aggression and some absolutely hopeless refereeing. Both teams had good periods on top, then periods where they were clinging on. I enjoyed watching it, bar the result. I'm absolutely certain that had we earned the first goal, then we would have won the match but I think all supporters now see what I commented on in early June regarding our flaws in the final third. Whilst the manager can take the blame for his additions, I don't think anyone could've predicted how poorly both Campbell and Higgins would mess up with only the goalkeeper to beat in the first half. Campbell managed to spurn an even better chance in the second half after seizing on a weak back header, only to some how knock the ball straight into the exposed 'keepers hands. It was set-up for him to skip past and roll into an empty net; the kind of chance that should be a goal 99 out of 100. McLaughlin also curled a free kick against the top of the cross bar from the edge of the box; the kind of situation that really requires a powerfully hit strike.

Then came the penalty shouts. The referee had done okay first half but his performance deteriorated when giving an indirect free kick against Marsh for having the ball trapped under his leg for no more than half a second. A moment of unscripted lunacy. Somehow, despite being within 5 yards of the situation, he missed a clear handball as Higgins tried to work space in the box; the reaction of the players told the story. Montrose fan I talked to after the game was apparently over the other side and he said it was clear. Then, an even worse non-decision as the referee missed Mitchell being fouled literally inches in front of his face, leading eventually to an obviously irate Higgins conceding the penalty. Spot kick was awful and easily saved.

That earlier paragraph sounds as if it was one-sided but that's me discussing our flawed finishing; Montrose had just as many clear chances and in their case actually tested Gibson. They comically managed to put an open goal onto the post in the first half as well. However, when they netted the opener they had notably dropped out of the game in midfield and didn't look like threatening. Blame can be apportioned to Mitchell for mindlessly conceding a corner kick (a reaction to his poor header last week perhaps), Gibson for a pretty poor flap at the cross and Campbell for a weak attempt to close down Webster. However, it was undeniably an excellent finish from a player who had probably been one of the worst on the pitch before that.

The second goal was absolutely woeful from out point of view; a punt forward by the goalkeeper completely misjudged by Smith but again I'd give huge credit to the striker for an early finish that stopped Gibson from being able to impact the situation. After that was Chucky time as we pumped the ball consistently into the box, though Marsh added his name to the hit-list by scuffing a shot straight at the 'keeper from inside the 6 yard box.

I maintain, against all the evidence, that we'll improve and be one of the better teams as we move into Autumn but that goalscoring record is absolutely embarrassing. And whilst I also advocated a more creative addition back in pre-season, creating clear chances wasn't a problem today.

Incidentally, today's formation of choice was what some would call a 4231. I don't think the constant changing of system can be helping anyone. McLaughlin, who was somehow captain, was half a yard of the pace playing it as well and I'd have him out of the team next week. Ferguson didn't have a particularly good game but he was far more involved than Brisbane has been. Worked really hard.

^^^ Easiest wind-up ever.

Though there's actually some semblance of truth in what I said. Montrose were miles better than last season and deserve credit for their performance. I expect them to drop off when that starting eleven is disrupted as the all compliment each other quite well but we got them at a bad time today; fresh from a crushing derby win and playing with plenty of confidence.

That said, it was a pretty even game all in with plenty of goalmouth incident, a bit of aggression and some absolutely hopeless refereeing. Both teams had good periods on top, then periods where they were clinging on. I enjoyed watching it, bar the result. I'm absolutely certain that had we earned the first goal, then we would have won the match but I think all supporters now see what I commented on in early June regarding our flaws in the final third. Whilst the manager can take the blame for his additions, I don't think anyone could've predicted how poorly both Campbell and Higgins would mess up with only the goalkeeper to beat in the first half. Campbell managed to spurn an even better chance in the second half after seizing on a weak back header, only to some how knock the ball straight into the exposed 'keepers hands. It was set-up for him to skip past and roll into an empty net; the kind of chance that should be a goal 99 out of 100. McLaughlin also curled a free kick against the top of the cross bar from the edge of the box; the kind of situation that really requires a powerfully hit strike.

Then came the penalty shouts. The referee had done okay first half but his performance deteriorated when giving an indirect free kick against Marsh for having the ball trapped under his leg for no more than half a second. A moment of unscripted lunacy. Somehow, despite being within 5 yards of the situation, he missed a clear handball as Higgins tried to work space in the box; the reaction of the players told the story. Montrose fan I talked to after the game was apparently over the other side and he said it was clear. Then, an even worse non-decision as the referee missed Mitchell being fouled literally inches in front of his face, leading eventually to an obviously irate Higgins conceding the penalty. Spot kick was awful and easily saved.

That earlier paragraph sounds as if it was one-sided but that's me discussing our flawed finishing; Montrose had just as many clear chances and in their case actually tested Gibson. They comically managed to put an open goal onto the post in the first half as well. However, when they netted the opener they had notably dropped out of the game in midfield and didn't look like threatening. Blame can be apportioned to Mitchell for mindlessly conceding a corner kick (a reaction to his poor header last week perhaps), Gibson for a pretty poor flap at the cross and Campbell for a weak attempt to close down Webster. However, it was undeniably an excellent finish from a player who had probably been one of the worst on the pitch before that.

The second goal was absolutely woeful from out point of view; a punt forward by the goalkeeper completely misjudged by Smith but again I'd give huge credit to the striker for an early finish that stopped Gibson from being able to impact the situation. After that was Chucky time as we pumped the ball consistently into the box, though Marsh added his name to the hit-list by scuffing a shot straight at the 'keeper from inside the 6 yard box.

I maintain, against all the evidence, that we'll improve and be one of the better teams as we move into Autumn but that goalscoring record is absolutely embarrassing. And whilst I also advocated a more creative addition back in pre-season, creating clear chances wasn't a problem today.

Incidentally, today's formation of choice was what some would call a 4231. I don't think the constant changing of system can be helping anyone. McLaughlin, who was somehow captain, was half a yard of the pace playing it as well and I'd have him out of the team next week. Ferguson didn't have a particularly good game but he was far more involved than Brisbane has been. Worked really hard.

so goalscoring is the only problem ? you do realise we would have had to score 3 to win our last two games ???? so we basically we should look to be scoring 3 goals in every game if we want to win ? managers all say that first thing you do is stop conceeding goals as for we will be the better teams in the autumn ? only if the manager actually works out his his best eleven and cuts out his knee jerk reactions to defeats

so goalscoring is the only problem ? you do realise we would have had to score 3 to win our last two games so we basically we should look to be scoring 3 goals in every game if we want to win ?

That's a very simplistic view and doesn't take into account the undeniable value of scoring the first goal. If we take the lead in either of our recent games then we probably take at worst a point from each. That's my opinion; I reckon neither Queen's Park or Montrose would have fought back particularly well had we gone in front.

Here are facts though; teams that score 1 goal on average usually get at least a point. That'd be enough for a relegation scrap. Teams that score 2 goals get a win on average.

If you are not scoring goals then goalscoring is pretty much the only problem. That's in my opinion but it's also the reason that someone will gamble £15 million on Charlie Austin despite rumours about his knee and why East Fife are my favourites for the title.

managers all say that first thing you do is stop conceeding goals

Not many do and those that do are lowering expectations. MotD pundits say it all the time, but the majority of them don't have an original opinion.

Scoring more goals has exactly the same impact as conceding less. In fact, I'd argue that it would create better feeling of confidence around a club. However, it's more dependent on players rather than coaching. One great achievement during Jim Duffy's last season was that he had clearly coached our team how to score goals and that's not an easy thing to do.

The one thing I can absolutely agree with is your final point regarding the manager's team selection. In a year, we have played every single variation that is possible in modern football and for part-time players that can't be advantageous. He's entirely wrong as well; knee jerk reactions are pointless in football given that despite what most people believe, luck is a real defining factor.

That's a very simplistic view and doesn't take into account the undeniable value of scoring the first goal. If we take the lead in either of our recent games then we probably take at worst a point from each. That's my opinion; I reckon neither Queen's Park or Montrose would have fought back particularly well had we gone in front.

Here are facts though; teams that score 1 goal on average usually get at least a point. That'd be enough for a relegation scrap. Teams that score 2 goals get a win on average.

If you are not scoring goals then goalscoring is pretty much the only problem. That's in my opinion but it's also the reason that someone will gamble £15 million on Charlie Austin despite rumours about his knee and why East Fife are my favourites for the title.

Not many do and those that do are lowering expectations. MotD pundits say it all the time, but the majority of them don't have an original opinion.

Scoring more goals has exactly the same impact as conceding less. In fact, I'd argue that it would create better feeling of confidence around a club. However, it's more dependent on players rather than coaching. One great achievement during Jim Duffy's last season was that he had clearly coached our team how to score goals and that's not an easy thing to do.

The one thing I can absolutely agree with is your final point regarding the manager's team selection. In a year, we have played every single variation that is possible in modern football and for part-time players that can't be advantageous. He's entirely wrong as well; knee jerk reactions are pointless in football given that despite what most people believe, luck is a real defining factor.

so it's down to luck ?

famous sportsman once said the more I pracrice the luckier I get ????

but you stick to making the forwards the scapegoats

Which of the posts after today's game are the easy wind up variety.

Just so we know them and can separate

them from the real opinions?

think you can take the full page posts that are extremely patronising as genuine opinions

Luvvin' this patter. We tanned you. You played well for 20 minutes against us and then died a death.

Mo also missed a penalty. Easy home win.

If yer auntie had balls, she'd be yer uncle etc etc

Undeniably and I'm not trying to detract from your win. However in a discussion about our strikers, the point I make is relevant; score a goal and we are in the stronger position within the match.

I'd have thought you'd agree entirely given the same problem cost you a league title last year.

think you can take the full page posts that are extremely patronising as genuine opinions

Not meant to be patronising and genuine apologies if it comes across as that. Just a combination of frustration as I think we're pretty close to being a good team and the fact I don't ever switch off from football. Over to Match of the Day.

Archived