Scotland vs Polska

jagfox

Watching the goals again in the cold light of day, James Forrest's "assist" for Ritchie's goal (probably the best finish I've seen from a Scotland player in the last five years) is actually a misplaced ten yard sclaff. He's trying to pass to Scott Brown and missed by a mile.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At no time did I state that he was the saviour . Rather the fact that he has not and will not get the chance to prove himself in the current set up .

So your vision for the future is to ignore young talent and just keep plodding along in obscurity ? And where did Robertson figure last night ? That's right , he didn't !

Ah! The rankings !! That makes the latest failure to qualify all the more comfortable to digest !

Would the idiot element be the media by any chance ?

Gauld will get a chance when he gets a run of games and proves himself.

As has been said, robertson is a great player and can be caught defensively

Sometimes. Hence why whittacker was chosen.

Some people are absolutely clueless. I despair

Cringing listening to Strachan blaming deflections and bad luck.

Take it he never seen our goal against Georgia... Or our first against Germany at Hampden, or our goal in Dublin.

We weren't unlucky, we just weren't good enough.

Gauld will get a chance when he gets a run of games and proves himself.

As has been said, robertson is a great player and can be caught defensively

Sometimes. Hence why whittacker was chosen.

Some people are absolutely clueless. I despair

Clueless ??

Gauld has been a stand out player in the last couple of U21 games . This hasn't happened purely by chance. His consistency in Sporting's B team has been regularly commented on . I would like to think he was due a start just to guage how far off he is . Edit .....It's not as if he is trying to break into a world class side after all !

As for Robertson V Whittaker , it's all a matter of opinion . Some folk just base their opinions on who they used to play for rather than ability so it is hard to judge.

Clueless ??

Gauld has been a stand out player in the last couple of U21 games . This hasn't happened purely by chance. His consistency in Sporting's B team has been regularly commented on . I would like to think he was due a start just to guage how far off he is .

As for Robertson V Whittaker , it's all a matter of opinion . Some folk just base their opinions on who they used to play for rather than ability so it is hard to judge.

Perhaps, just perhaps, that happens in the juniors/ OF forum. Otherwise, they really, really don't.

Interesting that you don't pick the Dundee United fan who can't see past Robertson or the objective Ross County fan.

That was the one that stood out for me.

I could also have used your backing of Whittaker but it didn't really have the same bite to it.

Personally I have to lean towards Robertson given my previous posts about giving youth a chance.

How would you explain Whittaker starting ahead of Robertson then? I think it's fairly obvious that Strachan ignores youth. The fact that people have to use twenty five year olds when trying to claim otherwise tells you all you need to know really.

I used twenty five years as a response to someone who said Strachan only starts picking people when they reach 26.

Strachan played A 23 year old at centre half and a 24 year old on the wing but I suppose that is detriment to your pointless argument.

Even if it was true it's not a good enough reason. I'd take the guy who offers lots going forward but is slightly worse defensively

Well it is true, that's not up for debate. And whether you'd choose to do something different, and whether Strachan should have too, is a whole different argument. I was passing comment on your "lolling" at the suggestion Whittaker is a better defender than Robertson. That's something undeniably true, not something to be lolled at.

Yup. I wouldn't say Robertson's naive defensively, I'd say he's poor defensively.

I really don't get the stick that Whittaker and, particularly, Hutton, get. They'd be my first choice full backs for 90% of the games. I think they both did more than decent jobs last night and as a whole across the campaign.

He is poor at the moment. He will hopefully learn though. Tend to agree. I think Bardsley is better than both and am not sure quite why he was never invited back after long term injury, though he's possibly too old now, but yes, Hutton has done well for us generally and Whittaker tends not to let us down even when playing "wrong side". Don't think Hutton's been especially good lately though.

Robertson being poor defensively isn't really even a relevant argument considering Whittaker's actually a right back and Alan Hutton was playing there.

Well of course it's a relevant argument. In fact it the whole damned argument. You can say you'd rather go with the more forward thinking player if you like. I may even agree with you at this stage though I do prefer my defenders to actually defend first and foremost. However, If Whittaker even playing on the wrong side is a better defender than Robertson (and he is) then it's an entirely relevant argument to play him there in games where the manager wants to try to defend a little better or feels we'll be under pressure at the back for much of the game.

i know its based on opinions, but where the hell are people seeing any sort of defensive side to whittaker, since he joined rangers until now i cannot ever think of him being nothing but a bombscare in defence, his positioning is terrible, reading of the game is awful and his reactions are criminal for the level he plays at

i can honestly say i cannot remember whittaker ever being noted after a game for his defensive contribution

other than that, unless scotland want to continue trying to plod along in the hope we fluke a good group draw and a bit of luck in the games, we need to perhaps give up in the hope of qualifying for the next two events and start bringing together a team that will have the chance to play at international level for years to come

Lets face it a lot of the current crop have failed in numerous qualifying campaigns

I would probably of started an on form Robertson over Whittaker despite him being poorer defensively. At the moment however Whittaker is a first choice for a Premiership side whilst Robertson is struggling to get in the Hull team.

Archived