IndyRef2

Crùbag

Enough to make a difference, imo.

Yep, sadly enough to cost me winnings from the bookies as I stupidly had Yes to get > 45% figuring they couldn't possibly do any worse than that.

Fucking vow. Even another couple of thousand might have made all the difference for me, whilst it would have had zero impact on the final victor. b*****ds.

• Replies 425
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know one person who moved from a No to an abstention because of the Vow. His argument: the referendum had become a straight choice between independence and extra powers. He wanted things to remain exactly as they were, so neither choice represented his views.

Yes and the only poll to show YES was the Sunday before the referendum, or maybe the Sunday before that? That certainly spooked the media into a frenzy. That is also when they wheeled out Gordon Brown and there was a tiny realisation they YES had a chance. Or so we thought.

I don't believe all of the 55% were duped. There would have been plenty voting NO no matter what. My gran voted NO because some Labour drone in Paisley town centre told her she'd lose her pension and would need a VISA to travel down to England when she visited family. How many others were duped like that? Who knows.

Just how many were willing to be swayed during the referendum is the big question for Yes in the next one. I'd wager there was a sizeable amount of No voters who said No immediately and never engaged with the question again. It's whether there's enough there to turn the tide next time and working out what exactly prevented them voting Yes. Personally I reckon it's to do with failings in the Yes campaign whether it was the economics, a lack of consistent media exposure for Yes' arguments or just a dislike of the personalities at the front of the Yes campaign rather than anything the No campaign did (including the Vow). The Vow will surely go down as the No campaign's biggest mistake especially since it's apparent IMO that it was Labour blinking first and showing their sheer panic at a possible Yes vote. I doubt the Conservatives wanted it to happen and were really convinced of its necessity either.

I can only hope some of Edinburgh Councils 2000 redundant employees vote SNP and can make the connection with the council tax freeze and the P45 in the post instead of this Neverendum guff.

I am going to take a guess here and state that the employee figures for ECC have not once decreased in the last decade. I know they have continued to increase in Aberdeenshire despite the council cuts.

Of course the council tax freeze has to be to blame. I mean other parts of the UK that havent had a freeze are on a massive recruitment campaign and are not having to reduce employee numbers at all. :rolleyes:

I am going to take a guess here and state that the employee figures for ECC have not once decreased in the last decade. I know they have continued to increase in Aberdeenshire despite the council cuts.

Of course the council tax freeze has to be to blame. I mean other parts of the UK that havent had a freeze are on a massive recruitment campaign and are not having to reduce employee numbers at all. :rolleyes:

Continually pointing South of the border is meaningless.If Scottish councils need to raise more revenue to offset budget restraints it's the SNPs call.However as we are living in "council tax freeze" fantasy land the blame lies at Holyrood.Gesture politics that's lining the pockets of people well able to pay more.Once again talking Left and acting Right.

Continually pointing South of the border is meaningless.If Scottish councils need to raise more revenue to offset budget restraints it's the SNPs call.However as we are living in "council tax freeze" fantasy land the blame lies at Holyrood.Gesture politics that's lining the pockets of people well able to pay more.Once again talking Left and acting Right.

I will take this as your failure to tie the reduction of local government employees to a council tax freeze. Or are you saying that other areas without the council tax freeze are not laying off staff?

ETA: Just had a look at the numbers are there has indeed been an increase in staffing numbers. Direct comparisons are difficult givent he council restructuring and outsourcing that has taken place.

However, the increase in the number of people that the council needs to lay-off is explained as

the council confirmed it has additional savings to make as a result of overspending by £10m on health and social care and by £9.5m on its property budget.

Meanwhile at the council (where there has supposed to have been pay freezes remember) the number of employees earning over £50k in the council's employment has risen from 238 in 2007/08 to 384 in 2013/14

I can only hope some of Edinburgh Councils 2000 redundant employees vote SNP and can make the connection with the council tax freeze and the P45 in the post instead of this Neverendum guff.

Also the increased footfall at the foodbanks

All the public dressed the same:lol:

What a weird campaign that is.

If you were a No voter then you'd surely be quite happy with the current situation. Why would you be out protesting something that is neither happening right now - or tbh going to happen in the foreseeable future (by foreseeable I mean next couple of years).

I suppose Tories in Scotland need to stick together. Groupthink and all that.

Archived