Murder-well vs Partick Thistle Nil

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Absolutely. You play a system based on what gets the best out of the players you have. I heard Steve Claridge on 5live the other week talking about Newcastle under McLaren and saying that it looks like he's trying to get players to fit into a system rather than playing your system that suits your players. I'd never cite Steve Claridge as the world's top authority on football but it's a fair point.

This is where we've been since 2012/13 when McCall struck on playing the front five of Higdon, Law/Humphrey/Ojamaa/Murphy/McFadden/Higginbotham/Daley and just going out to outscore everyone. Ever since then we've been going with square pegs in round holes, without ever actually addressing the gaping hole in our midfield. We've tried Vigurs, Carswell, Lawson, Ramsden, Reid, Lasley, Leitch, McDonald, Moore, Grant, Pearson and Grimshaw in there since, and never come close to being stable again.

We've persisted with playing the wrong players in the wrong places because we can't develop a system to utilise them properly. I thought this was a McCall thing, and his resignation was an admission of not being able to figure it out. Then we've seen Baraclough stick players in completely the wrong place, consistently.

Did we not used to play 4-3-3 with porter mccormack and clarkson?

That was some team

We did indeed. But that was also when we had good full-backs bombing forward and an incredible level of fitness from front to back, so we kept teams pinned back for most of the game. We also had Stevie Hughes in midfield pulling the strings and actually playing football going forward, rather than endlessly knocking the ball around under no pressure, and giving it away as soon as we get challenged.

This is where we've been since 2012/13 when McCall struck on playing the front five of Higdon, Law/Humphrey/Ojamaa/Murphy/McFadden/Higginbotham/Daley and just going out to outscore everyone. Ever since then we've been going with square pegs in round holes, without ever actually addressing the gaping hole in our midfield. We've tried Vigurs, Carswell, Lawson, Ramsden, Reid, Lasley, Leitch, McDonald, Moore, Grant, Pearson and Grimshaw in there since, and never come close to being stable again.

We've persisted with playing the wrong players in the wrong places because we can't develop a system to utilise them properly. I thought this was a McCall thing, and his resignation was an admission of not being able to figure it out. Then we've seen Baraclough stick players in completely the wrong place, consistently.

We did indeed. But that was also when we had good full-backs bombing forward and an incredible level of fitness from front to back, so we kept teams pinned back for most of the game. We also had Stevie Hughes in midfield pulling the strings and actually playing football going forward, rather than endlessly knocking the ball around under no pressure, and giving it away as soon as we get challenged.

And we had (at the peak of that team), Phil O'Donnell sitting back and pulling the strings and we have no-one even vaguely close to that quality now in that role..

And we had (at the peak of that team), Phil O'Donnell sitting back and pulling the strings and we have no-one even vaguely close to that quality now in that role..

Correct. Lasley, Hughes and O'Donnell were perfect in that three. Lasley and Jennings were great as well a couple of seasons later, but that McGhee team is my favourite we've ever had.

Going back to the 3-2 game in 1993, is my mind playing tricks or were there Motherwell fans in the South Stand also that day?

Granted I was only 6 years old at the time, but i'm convinced I was sitting the top tier of the South that day.

I think you're thinking of a match in 1995 which we also lost 2-1 to Thistle at Fir Park. The South Stand was split between home fans in the top tier and away fans down the bottom. I'm sure Alex Burns scored for us that day.

This is the game I'm talking about.

You're right MJC. I had thought Thistle had worn black the day I was talking about.

I remember sitting in the top tier of the south for a game against Dundee United which was our first game live on Sky Sports after they signed the deal to show Scottish football. Was a beautiful sunny day and Boyle made it a fiver to get in.

I am sure Jered Stirling or Kai Nyssonnen or Stephen Halliday or someone like that scored the winner for us that day and everyone was convinced he was going to be a great signing!

You've named the three players who scored the winners in 1-0 victories at the start of the 98/99 season.

Kai Nyssonen scored in the Utd game you're referring to.

Jered Stirling scored our first goal of that campaign with a free kick against St Johnstone on the opening day. Stephen Halliday then scored an extra time winner up at East Fife the following Saturday.

I heard Steve Claridge on 5live the other week talking about Newcastle under McLaren and saying that it looks like he's trying to get players to fit into a system.

Sounds familiar.

Craigan in charge for this game now. Big question is....

Will Jake Taylor be playing?

Given that Taylor has contributed nothing but started every game - I assume there is a contractual commitment (or a gentleman's agreement) to play him when available as part of the loan deal - any other explanation doesn't make sense..Saturday will be interesting indeed...

You've named the three players who scored the winners in 1-0 victories at the start of the 98/99 season.

Kai Nyssonen scored in the Utd game you're referring to.

Jered Stirling scored our first goal of that campaign with a free kick against St Johnstone on the opening day. Stephen Halliday then scored an extra time winner up at East Fife the following Saturday.

:lol::lol:

Memory is indeed a weird thing!

Given that Taylor has contributed nothing but started every game - I assume there is a contractual commitment (or a gentleman's agreement) to play him when available as part of the loan deal - any other explanation doesn't make sense..Saturday will be interesting indeed...

fingers crossed it was a gentleman's agreement that was made by bara and is now void

Surely if there is some kind of contractual obligation to play him and we break it, then it just means we have voided the terms of the contract and he gets taken back?

Now wouldn't that be terrible....

Surely it is against the rules to sack your incompetent manager and replace him with a fans' favourite who will no doubt inspire the home team to a scrappy victory as he gees up the squad and doesn't try to force square pegs into round holes.

Good one Morton, ya fucking fannies :angry:

Surely if there is some kind of contractual obligation to play him and we break it, then it just means we have voided the terms of the contract and he gets taken back?

This, unless it's financial clause that says if he doesn't start Motherwell must pay x% of wage, be it start certain percentage of games or whatever.

Given Taylor's status at Reading (23, out of contract this season, punted out on loan as soon as Clarke arrived there etc) I'd find it really weird if there was a 'must play if fit' clause.

Generally I'd only see those sort of clauses in place for big clubs 'wonder kid' types. I think we can all agree that Taylor doesn't fit in that category.

Tbh he just needs taken out the team for a while. maybe bring him on as a sub for a bit if we're winning etc.

I had a read of Jake Taylor's Wikipedia page - I know it's Wikipedia and all that but...he has an International cap?????

Somebody has got to be kidding right?

Archived