Stephen McManus

Joe Chalmers

Jake Taylor

Keith Lasley

Liam Grimshaw

Jake Taylor

Jake Taylor

Louis Moult

3-1 Motherwell (Taylor, Taylor & Taylor)

If Baraclough is still in charge we'll be lucky to get 3,000 for this. The crowds have been dwindling even by our standards since the start of the season and I think last Saturday and last night might just be the straw that breaks the camels back for a lot of fans. The support in the main has had enough.

I've thought Bara has been a bit of a diddy since he came tbh, he's done nothing to disprove that. Can't see much point in slogging on with him at the helm. However don't expect anything to be done and we'll traipse on scraping the odd point here and there with Jake Taylor miraculously never being dropped. Things may improve if Pearson gets back.

It's going to be a festival of booing on Saturday - as the state of us at the moment allied to a long standing love of the soft goal means that there's every chance we'll go behind. It's actually difficult to believe that we'll limp on with Barraclough in charge for any length of time but I would be very surprised if anything is done before Saturday. I'll be there out of morbid fascination rather than any desire to see our utterly honking style of play....

On a related subject - apparently, playing with one striker is fashionable and "what all teams do" - but does anyone really enjoy watching that type of football? A lot of my best memories are of decent partnerships up front (Coyne and Arnott being my favourite) and now it seems reduced to watching limited players, most of whom are totally unsuited to the role, just running about a lot. It maybe works at a higher level where the levels of fitness/skill/intelligence are higher but at our level, it's fucking dismal.

3-0 'Well, and a reprieve for a Bara.

It's anyone's guess what team we put out really, starting to get the feeling Taylor is on one of these "if he's fit, he plays" type loan deals, otherwise there's absolutely no way he should be starting, especially after the reaction when he was taken off last night. Unfortunately it'll probably be too early for Pearson to make the first of his 3/4 games before his next injury so I imagine Lasley will come back into the midfield. I'd be interested to see what Cadden could do right enough, he's being hyped up big style and turning it on for the U20's.

On a related subject - apparently, playing with one striker is fashionable and "what all teams do" - but does anyone really enjoy watching that type of football? A lot of my best memories are of decent partnerships up front (Coyne and Arnott being my favourite) and now it seems reduced to watching limited players, most of whom are totally unsuited to the role, just running about a lot. It maybe works at a higher level where the levels of fitness/skill/intelligence are higher but at our level, it's fucking dismal.

Absolutely. You play a system based on what gets the best out of the players you have. I heard Steve Claridge on 5live the other week talking about Newcastle under McLaren and saying that it looks like he's trying to get players to fit into a system rather than playing your system that suits your players. I'd never cite Steve Claridge as the world's top authority on football but it's a fair point.

There are plenty of teams have played with 1 striker that I've enjoyed watching but that's largely because they've had the players to play that system. I've enjoyed watching a team like Barcelona play with no strikers but enjoyed it considerably less when Scotland tried it.

Edit: I've been banging on about 433 a lot but by all accounts you're seeing that as the next 'fashionable' formation, moving on from the 4231 and arguably a reaction to it. Like anything it's the sort of thing that just filters down.

I was having a discussion with a pal recently about exactly this. To my mind it takes a highly athletic, strong and smart striker to play the lone role. It's about running to where there's space, having the strength to hold off a defender, sometimes two, and having the vision to then bring other players into the game and then getting into the box yourself. It doesn't matter that much about the standard you're playing at to a certain extent because pressure from 2 defenders is still pressure, so it takes a properly classy player to play the role. How many folk at our level actually have the attributes to play this role? Not many I'd suggest.

Archived