Murder-well vs Partick Thistle Nil

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting how different fans see it. I thought thistle were poor, toothless and lacking anything up front for most of the game. We restricted them easily and the majority of their attacking play resulted in shots from 20+ yards flying high or wide.

Thought we should have been out of sight with cerny making a few good saves and Ainsworth being unlucky after a few great runs.

The typical gifted set piece goal aside made it a tricky last fifteen but I never saw anything from thistle that made me too concerned.

Ref was howling for both teams.

Thistle looked neat and tidy and played some nice stuff but most of it was played in front of us and lacked a cutting edge. Which often resulted in them firing in shots from distance as they struggled to break through, think I read at full time that they'd had 14 shots and only 4 on target. Which pretty much summed it up. If they were going to score it was always going to be through a set piece, which we still struggle to defend. Ripley seemed to make a c**t of it for their goal but he did make up for it in the final 10 mins by coming off his line to collect a lot crosses that were being slung into his box.

1st half I thought wasn't much different to what we'd seen in recent weeks, good work by Ainsworth and a slice of luck for the goal. Thistle had most of the ball but we probably had the best chance which Johnson fluffed. Lawless unlucky with a couple of good efforts. Enjoyed the 2nd half much more, in most part due to the performance of Ainsworth. Some fantastic runs where he was tearing Thistle apart on his own, should have scored that one at the start of the 2nd half after his mazy dribble through the Thistle defence and if he had it would have been one of the goals of the season. Another assist too with a lovely ball for Skippy's goal. When he's in the mood he's fantastic to watch.

Bonus points for Craigan for spotting two of our biggest weakness in recent weeks, benching Law and punting the anonymous Taylor out the squad all together was inspired management. Obviously it was a massive bonus having Pearson back, even half fit he's still our best central midfielder by some distance and added some much need bite to the midfield. Kennedy was also a colossus at the back, shame he can't find a Motherwell player with a pass.

Also with McLean allowing Seabourne and Frans to batter the shite out of Moult, I thought it was sensible management by Craigan to take him off before he got sent off. Was only a matter of time until he reacted again and got a 2nd yellow. Lot of perplexed faces when he replaced him with Leitch but within 5 mins of moving McDonald, who was having another nightmare in midfield, to his natural position up front he scored. Who'd of thought playing a striker with McDonald's track record up front would result in him scoring goals? Crazy stuff.

Overall not massive strides made but given Craigan's only had a couple of training sessions with them I wasn't expecting much. Was always going to be about the result today and we got the 3 points, solid enough performance and job done

Interesting how different fans see it. I thought thistle were poor, toothless and lacking anything up front for most of the game. We restricted them easily and the majority of their attacking play resulted in shots from 20+ yards flying high or wide.

Thought we should have been out of sight with cerny making a few good saves and Ainsworth being unlucky after a few great runs.

The typical gifted set piece goal aside made it a tricky last fifteen but I never saw anything from thistle that made me too concerned.

Ref was howling for both teams.

We have been such a disaster that getting a few shots on goal is seen as fantastic.

Steven McLean is one of the better referees but he had an absolute shocker today. He should have booked Lasley at least twice. The 'tackle' that injured Johnson was worthy of at least a yellow card and as has been mentioned the treatment dealt out by Seaborne at times without punishment had to be seen to be believed. Don't think you could argue with any of the cards he did dish out mind you.

As for the game, Ainsworth is a match winner and in a game between two ordinary teams he won as the match with his running and his ability to cross a ball. Kennedy had a great game in our defence as well.

Got to Thistle are far from the worst team I've seen this season. Miles better than Kilmarnock, a bit better than Dundee Utd and although I think both have improved since we played them, I think they offered more than either St Johnstone or Inverness. But if you can't score you leave yourself with a problem.

Good three points for us. Hoping with another week if we have Pearson and Fletcher a bit more fit, we can kick on and get something at Dundee next week.

Just watching the highlights back. Some own goal that, clear it anywhere other that the top corner of your own net. Was always going to be a tough fixture, despite thistle offering some decent play in spells early in the game, I always felt we were comfy as we were restricting them to long range efforts. Felt we would likely have a moment of madness at some point, cue Ripley. Fair result.

You're having a laugh, right? The only person responsible for Johnson's injury was...Johnson.

I would agree with that. Johnson seemed to jump over the Thistle player head first and landed awkwardly from where I was sitting.

Archived