Andy Murray Latest and General Tennis Chat

Bryan

I was just saying earlier on that Murray seems to have a habit of simply blasting players off the court - I'd like to see a stat of how many players retire hurt against him!

Great performance, and I'm sure its a boost to Murray that he has conserved some energy.

A fortunate win for the Colin Montgomerie of tennis. It was clear that Nadal, despite playing some good shots and taking Murray to a tie break in the second set, was carrying a massive injury stopping him from playing. He was obviously trying to keep the psychological advantage by not calling for his trainer earlier. Murray continued to be mediocre, that second serve is a massive worry, and although he attacked a little more, he needs to start playing better tennis if he's ever to win anything. A fully fit Nadal would have crushed that Scotch nobody. I predict he will choke in the next round against the masterful and in form Cilic.

^ Saving Jim Pansy the effort.

I thought Murray got his tactics spot on again. People say he should be playing more offensive tennis in every match, but he mixes up his tactics and plays differently depending on who he is up against, and it looks like he's starting to really get the measure of Nadal now. However, those tactics may not be so useful against a different player. I recall there being a bit of comment about Murrays ability to destroy his opponents before, he does seem to have an awful lot more retirements against him than most other players. Good match though, this tournament is about as comfortable as I've ever seen Murray, I normally get really tense watching his games, but he's been at a different level so far this tournament.

I thought Murray was fortunate at times in the first set, but it was his battling that pulled him through in the end. He'd make some fairly odd errors and then come out and play an absolute blinder. I don't think Nadal was at his best though. Not through injury though. If that were the case, I reckon the trainer would have been on. He just seemed a bit off at times and made a lot of errors that you wouldn't normally associate with him.

Cilic is obviously one to watch here, and Murray is going to have a right struggle against him in this one, but I reckon he'll edge it in one of those matches that leaves you behind the couch.

A fortunate win for the Colin Montgomerie of tennis. It was clear that Nadal, despite playing some good shots and taking Murray to a tie break in the second set, was carrying a massive injury stopping him from playing. He was obviously trying to keep the psychological advantage by not calling for his trainer earlier. Murray continued to be mediocre, that second serve is a massive worry, and although he attacked a little more, he needs to start playing better tennis if he's ever to win anything. A fully fit Nadal would have crushed that Scotch nobody. I predict he will choke in the next round against the masterful and in form Cilic.

^ Saving Jim Pansy the effort.

I thought Murray got his tactics spot on again. People say he should be playing more offensive tennis in every match, but he mixes up his tactics and plays differently depending on who he is up against, and it looks like he's starting to really get the measure of Nadal now. However, those tactics may not be so useful against a different player. I recall there being a bit of comment about Murrays ability to destroy his opponents before, he does seem to have an awful lot more retirements against him than most other players. Good match though, this tournament is about as comfortable as I've ever seen Murray, I normally get really tense watching his games, but he's been at a different level so far this tournament.

What the hell happened to you? Can you not make a point without attempting to belittle or attack somebody else? Or is it the only way you can possibly feel good about yourself? Constant sarcasm and churlishness is actually beginning to cloud the times I - quite often as it happens - agree with what you have to say.

Either way though, terrific result for Murray. It's very interesting reading page one of this thread, in which he was being tipped for a place in the top 100!

Can't really argue with that result. Murray did take the game to Nadal in the first couple of sets and he attacked more than previously.

Felt sorry for Nadal the way it ended but the chances are that his knees are going to gripe away at him the rest of his career. A real shame for the boy.

Murray has looked in really good nick the whole tournament so far.

Playing Cilic is a great chance to make the final now.

What those two matches should show from Cilic is that he is capable of winning against Murray. I don't consider Murray to be much better than Roddick or Del Potro, if he even IS better than the latter.

Maybe in other tournaments, Cilic wouldn't be as much of a test, but this man will be confident and playing at his absolute peak and when you have a good player playing like that, they won't allow for the errors that Nadal did today.

In other words, this doesn't offer any better chance of reaching the final than what the alternatives were.

Excellent result. Agree with Reynard that Nadal has real problems though - such a shame for such a nice guy. Might still win a couple more French Opens, but that could be it for him Grand Slam wise.

Can't help thinking that Djokovic-Federer semi, should they both make it, is the real final though. I fancy the winner of that to deal with Murric on Sunday.

A great day for Murray and his team. Done two things really well today, hit his new aggressive strokes when he needed to in the first set - this gave him the edge in the first set. Secondly he stayed tough at the start of the second set when Nadal really started to push him behind the service line. His resolve to stay with Nadal and hang on until his opponent's level dropped off was excellent, he countered his own rise in unforced errors with improved 1st service %, and pretty much made a mockery of Nadal in the breaker.

I thought Nadal played better today in both sets than when Murray beat him at the US Open, Murray deserves his plaudits today, it was the type of mature performance that I'd expect to see from a Nadal or a Federer.

Against Cillic it's all about Murray keeping his 1st serve % up, if he can do that he should see his second final.

Murray v Cilic is Thursday AFAIK. The other one might be Friday with the final on Sunday.

i would like to think that should he progress, that extra day shuold be helpful for his recovery. But that could just put a little bit more expectancy on him, which we all know can hinder him sometimes.

Can't help thinking that Djokovic-Federer semi, should they both make it, is the real final though. I fancy the winner of that to deal with Murric on Sunday.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Davydenko beating Federer, the man is in blistering form.