Andy Murray Latest and General Tennis Chat

Bryan

Sinner wins it in an epic five setter over Medvedev. He went two sets down and won it in five, remarkable stuff. 
The first of many slams for the young Italian I’m sure. Him and Alcaraz are going to dominate the remainder of the decade at least. 

Medvedev becomes the only player in history to lose two Slam finals from two sets up.  Now has lost five slam finals from six.  

Sinner was superb in the end, he couldn’t cope with Medvedev’s disruptive brilliance and then took Medvedev’s legs away much like Novak has done to so many of his victims in Australia.

He was absolutely ruthless against Novak and has been incredible the last six months.  That was the first ever completed slam match where Novak never made a break point.

In the women’s side Sabalenka is just relentless.  Her mental demons are just slowly disappearing, and her pressure on Gauff after what happened at the US Open was great to see.  It’s difficult to think that two years ago she would double fault fifteen times a match.

Andy Murray returns to action tonight against Benoit Paire. Probably the biggest waste of talent tennis has ever seen.  He’ll be wanting to put behind his awful display at the Australian Open.

25 minutes ago, Loki said:

Medvedev becomes the only player in history to lose two Slam finals from two sets up.  Now has lost five slam finals from six.  

Sinner was superb in the end, he couldn’t cope with Medvedev’s disruptive brilliance and then took Medvedev’s legs away much like Novak has done to so many of his victims in Australia.

He was absolutely ruthless against Novak and has been incredible the last six months.  That was the first ever completed slam match where Novak never made a break point.

In the women’s side Sabalenka is just relentless.  Her mental demons are just slowly disappearing, and her pressure on Gauff after what happened at the US Open was great to see.  It’s difficult to think that two years ago she would double fault fifteen times a match.

Andy Murray returns to action tonight against Benoit Paire. Probably the biggest waste of talent tennis has ever seen.  He’ll be wanting to put behind his awful display at the Australian Open.

Pleased for Sinner, seen it often that a player beats Djokovic/Nadal/Federer but puts so much into it that he loses his next match, and for much of yesterday that looked like being the case. Did really well to dig deep and turn it around.

Spotted the match at 2 up for Medvedev and went over to other TV delights but dropped back in later on. It was a great fight back and I stayed with it. Some absorbing tennis. On Andy I think it's time to end and remember the great guy he's been. 

Who do  I follow now? 

55 minutes ago, peasy23 said:

Pleased for Sinner, seen it often that a player beats Djokovic/Nadal/Federer but puts so much into it that he loses his next match, and for much of yesterday that looked like being the case. Did really well to dig deep and turn it around.

I think it was a combination of Medvedev just being unable to continue at the level due to running out of steam and Sinner coming into the match.

No one in history has ever been on court as long as Medvedev in his Australian Open run.  Much like Murray his exertions in getting to the final probably robbed him of the chance of performing at the highest level.

Edited to add: Sinner deserves much credit for just sticking in there and believing that he would do it.  Once he broke in that third set, it felt to me like the many matches Andy turned around.  The I’ve got you now moments.

Edited by Loki

I turned it on when Paire was 4-2 up in the second and Andy got it back to 5-5 with some great first serves.  It's at the stage now where if Andy has to 2nd serve, you can pretty much guarantee he's losing the point.

Wimbledon has to be it now, surely.

I don't think he has much interest in a farewell tour and walking off at Wimbledon, can see him just canning it whenever he decides he's had enough, which might be very soon given who he's losing to and how he's doing so. 

4 minutes ago, JS_FFC said:

Noticed him clapping back at both Liam Broady and Kheridine Idessane on Twitter over the past week or two. Very unlike him and clearly frustrated at the current situation. 

Saw his reply to Isamadman earlier, only thing I would query is that nowadays there is a big gulf between what Andy believes he can do on court and what he can physically do.

45 minutes ago, JS_FFC said:

Noticed him clapping back at both Liam Broady and Kheridine Idessane on Twitter over the past week or two. Very unlike him and clearly frustrated at the current situation. 

That's where you're going wrong, m8.

10 hours ago, peasy23 said:

Saw his reply to Isamadman earlier, only thing I would query is that nowadays there is a big gulf between what Andy believes he can do on court and what he can physically do.

I think that’s been the case for about 3 years.

3 hours ago, Jives Miguel said:

Kheredine should pipe down the baldy banger. Would he even have a job if the BBC hadn't needed someone to report on Murray's career the past 20 years? 

He's been periodically churning out the same article ever since Murray's return from the hip surgery. Where he crossed a line this time is the bit about 'tarnishing his legacy'. Aye, I used to think it was great that Andy Murray won two Wimbledons and was world number one in the toughest era in the history of men's tennis, but after seeing him lose to Benoit Paire in the first round at Montpellier it's knocked the shine right off. WTF Kheredine?

I respect Murray more for what he's been doing, not less. It's hard enough to flog your body in pursuit of three legends when you're on you're way up, but doing it at 36 years old with nothing to prove and no real prospect of success shows a level of determination I can't comprehend.

13 minutes ago, GordonS said:

He's been periodically churning out the same article ever since Murray's return from the hip surgery. Where he crossed a line this time is the bit about 'tarnishing his legacy'. Aye, I used to think it was great that Andy Murray won two Wimbledons and was world number one in the toughest era in the history of men's tennis, but after seeing him lose to Benoit Paire in the first round at Montpellier it's knocked the shine right off. WTF Kheredine?

I respect Murray more for what he's been doing, not less. It's hard enough to flog your body in pursuit of three legends when you're on you're way up, but doing it at 36 years old with nothing to prove and no real prospect of success shows a level of determination I can't comprehend.

I fully agree. People have been trying to retire him for 5 years. It's so disrespectful, no wonder he's annoyed by it.