Andy Murray The Greatest and General Tennis Chat

Bryan

2 hours ago, gmca said:

Couldn't think of anyone other than those mentioned by specsaver and myself. On reflection, thought it might have been Jeremy Bates. John Lloyd did have a fairly long career right enough, so fair play to him.

Thanks for giving me a sleepless night🤪

Don't mention it. 🙂

2 hours ago, specsaver said:

I surprised myself at missing out Mark Cox, and I would have put him in my list at the expense of D Lloyd but somehow I just have no recollection of Roger Taylor and having just checked his career he was still playing late 70's early 80's  😂. Always good to get the memory working. 

Taylor was the main man when I started watching tennis (well Wimbledon, as nothing else was televised). Got to the semis there IIRC when Jan Kodes won in a much reduced quality field due to a boycott.

4 hours ago, printer said:

Taylor was the main man when I started watching tennis (well Wimbledon, as nothing else was televised). Got to the semis there IIRC when Jan Kodes won in a much reduced quality field due to a boycott.

He did reach the semis, beaten by Wilhelm Bungert IIRC. Might have been the following year when the open era started, partly as a realistic response to the Wimbledon boycott.

Murray doesn't need an operation on his ankle and there's footage of him training on the clay, and his name is on the entry list for the French Open.

Also, 2 time Grand Slam champion Garbine Muguruza has retired aged 30.  She hasn't played for nearly 18 months after stepping away and has decided to call it a day.

• 3 weeks later...

Murray to return for the Bordeaux challenger this week.

His likely schedule reads:

W/B Monday 13th May - Bordeaux challenger

W/B Monday 20th May - ATP Geneva

W/B Sunday 26th May - French open

W/B Monday 10th June - ATP Stuttgart

W/B Monday 17th June - Queens

W/B Monday 1st July - Wimbledon

W/B Friday 26th July - Olympic games

Not sure if he’s planning to call it a day after that or play on until the US open 

8 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

I know it's unlikely, but imagine the #scenes if he wins a 3rd Olympic Gold

Djokovic would cry for a long time 😂  Although might have a chance in the doubles depending on who qualifies.  He should get a special exemption to compete being a former Gold  Medalist, or be in the top 4 Brits by the time the games entry list closes.

Sadly Dominic Thiem has announced his retirement with this has last year on tour.  An almighty player on his day.  Very much in the Delpo mold of unlimited forehand power.

• 2 weeks later...

Murray due to face Djokovic in the 2nd round of the Geneva open but is a set and a break down to Yannick Hanfmann, which is to resume this morning after a rain delay last night.

Murray loses to Hanfmann in straight sets in the first round. Surprised he’s bothering to play on the clay to be honest, he skipped it completely last year. When you see results like that you understand why. 

Murray to play Wawrinka at the French Open, then possibly Norrie and then Sinner in the 3rd.  He’ll be horsed by Wawrinka in straights.

As Lex said not sure why he even bothered to play Clay, I’d imagine it’s just as the Olympics are on clay later in the summer.   He doesn’t have the power to hit through people, and he doesn’t have the foot speed anymore.  With his grinding he finds himself out of position.

Will be interesting to see if the new Yonex racquet gives him better options on the grass.

With Thiem and Schwarzman also played their last Roland Garros by falling in qualifying.  Nadal has drawn Zverev, and on the woman’s side Swiatek could meet Osaka in round two.

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Loki said:

Murray to play Wawrinka at the French Open, then possibly Norrie and then Sinner in the 3rd.  He’ll be horsed by Wawrinka in straights.

As Lex said not sure why he even bothered to play Clay, I’d imagine it’s just as the Olympics are on clay later in the summer.   He doesn’t have the power to hit through people, and he doesn’t have the foot speed anymore.  With his grinding he finds himself out of position.

Will be interesting to see if the new Yonex racquet gives him better options on the grass.

With Thiem and Schwarzman also played their last Roland Garros by falling in qualifying.  Nadal has drawn Zverev, and on the woman’s side Swiatek could meet Osaka in round two.

Wawrinka has been getting horsed in the first round or two of Challenger events as well tbf. Could be a brutal match in terms of quality. Still a box office match, two legends in possibly their last Roland Garros'. Looking forward to it. 

Fond memories of the 2016 semi between the two, one of Murrays best ever performances on clay. 

Edited by Jives Miguel

On 23/05/2024 at 21:30, Jives Miguel said:

Wawrinka has been getting horsed in the first round or two of Challenger events as well tbf. Could be a brutal match in terms of quality. Still a box office match, two legends in possibly their last Roland Garros'. Looking forward to it. 

Fond memories of the 2016 semi between the two, one of Murrays best ever performances on clay. 

I’m also looking forward to it. Wife is a big tennis fan (I don’t mind it), loves Rafa and has always wanted to go to the French open, so managed to get tickets for tonight for her birthday. Just away to head along. Was delighted when I found out yesterday it was Murray and Wawrinka as two guys I actually know. Don’t expect anything out of Murray, but will be good to see one of Scotland’s greatest ever sportsmen compete in a major before he retires.

Posted (edited)
On 23/05/2024 at 14:10, Loki said:

Exactly this. A very one sided affair. 

Edited by Distant Doonhamer

Yeah no surprises there. Had a testimonial feel about it. Wawrinka is 39, long washed up and he will not get near the second week. 
He still had much too much for Murray. 
Back to the grass for him now. Wonder if he will go back on the challenger tour so he can win a few matches, like he did last year. 

54 minutes ago, Lex said:

Yeah no surprises there. Had a testimonial feel about it. Wawrinka is 39, long washed up and he will not get near the second week. 
He still had much too much for Murray. 
Back to the grass for him now. Wonder if he will go back on the challenger tour so he can win a few matches, like he did last year. 

He entered Surbiton.  Fast courts and low bouncing he will have a chance at a few victories.  Casper Ruud in the first round of Wimbledon would be ideal.

Wawrinka always had the power to hurt Murray and on a slow surface Stan just powers through the court, Murray is now one or two steps out of position, so he drops the ball shorter and it gets battered.   Today Stan was close to Evs.  Easy money.

I watched the first set and it went exactly as I expected.  Murray with the short, looping forehands and Wawrinka absolutely creaming it past him.