Should Strachan Go?

DeeTillEhDeh

Until we see a list of the candidates that would be interested, and crucially that the SFA would entertain, it's difficult to say.

Even if a candidate was a solid pick, it's still no certainty that he could develop the level of bond between team and manager which Strachan appears to have. It's also no guarantee this new guy would get results or qualification.

Of course, there's no guarantee of results or qualification.

This "bond between team and manager" lark (and you might have thrown in fans too) is of fairly limited value though.

I think Strachan's fondness for playing up such aspects, has been pretty self serving to be honest. I'm surprised that people have been taken in by it.

• Replies 544
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just because you think every international result is entirely down to the manager doesn't mean the rest of us have to be so blinkered.

Demeaning those with a different point of view is such an ugly debating style.

No I don't. How dare you demean me with such an ugly suggestion?

Management clearly plays a part, alongside several other aspects which can even include luck.

I simply do not accept however, that luck was something that went significantly against us at all in this campaign.

Any new manager will have essentially the same group of players to work with especially defensively where we are struggling to bring anyone through. Taking this into account it all comes down to tactics and formation on a game by game basis and imo that is Strachans main attribute. Given who would be available, affordable and willing he is easily the best option for now. I would be concerned if he decided to walk or his contract wasn't renewed.

Of course, there's no guarantee of results or qualification.This "bond between team and manager" lark (and you might have thrown in fans too) is of fairly limited value though. I think Strachan's fondness for playing up such aspects, has been pretty self serving to be honest. I'm surprised that people have been taken in by it.

I never felt that Levein had the same relationship with the players that Strachan appears to have developed.

As I said, it's difficult to get too excited about making a change without knowing who'd be interested and who the SFA would pick from this list if interested candidates.

Apart from the Georgia disaster, it was close between us and Ireland and Poland. If he can learn that draws are no good and that he should go for the win more often, then I'd be happy enough. Obviously finding some better defenders would also help.

Anyway, we'll find out soon whether Strachan is even up for another campaign.

We're not going to get anybody better than Strachan. There's no point in being knee jerk about things. We were unlucky with a tough group, Snodgrass injured, Germany dropping so many points, should have held on to a win against Poland.

The defence ins obviously the biggest problem but there are no other centre backs and Hendry ain't coming out of retirement so Strachan's hands are tied there. In possession we look well structured, better movement, some good shape when we don't have the ball. We have the players going forward. What can you do about the brain farts when Martin is the only semi decent centre half.

We don't have a Bale or a Lewandowski but Strachan has this team playing much better than his predecessor. A bit of faith for the next campaign second is not unrealistic.

Unless we're prepared to look for a foreign manager, there is little point in replacing Strachan. There are no available Scots who would do better.

If we were going to look abroad, I'd consider the options. Unfortunately, people still use Berti Vogts as an argument against a non-Scot in charge (being Scottish sure worked wonders for Burley and Levein), so I doubt we'll go down that road.

The media all seem to like Strachan as well, which takes some of the pressure off the SFA. I think he'll be offered at least the next campaign.

Unless we're prepared to look for a foreign manager, there is little point in replacing Strachan. There are no available Scots who would do better.

If we were going to look abroad, I'd consider the options. Unfortunately, people still use Berti Vogts as an argument against a non-Scot in charge (being Scottish sure worked wonders for Burley and Levein), so I doubt we'll go down that road.

The media all seem to like Strachan as well, which takes some of the pressure off the SFA. I think he'll be offered at least the next campaign.

Correct on all counts.

Correct on all counts.

Pretty much my thoughts too. If there was a better option, I wouldn't be averse to him going, but there isn't really one. You'd have to go foreign to find it, so I'd be happy for him to be offered at least this campaign. If we miss out considerably in two years time, say thanks and goodbye and we'll see how it looks from there.

Pretty much my thoughts too. If there was a better option, I wouldn't be averse to him going, but there isn't really one. You'd have to go foreign to find it, so I'd be happy for him to be offered at least this campaign. If we miss out considerably in two years time, say thanks and goodbye and we'll see how it looks from there.

The difference is that I'd be more inclined than you to actually go foreign in response to the lack of viable Scots; rather than stick with the existing one.

No I don't. How dare you demean me with such an ugly suggestion?

Twice in the last day or two you've opened up with: 'Oh not this again...' or 'Are we still using this as an excuse...'.

If it isn't intentionally trying to dismiss other's opinions then it's an annoying habit.

Twice in the last day or two you've opened up with: 'Oh not this again...' or 'Are we still using this as an excuse...'.

If it isn't intentionally trying to dismiss other's opinions then it's an annoying habit.

No, you misunderstand me. My intention is of course to be entirely dismissive of that particular opinion. I'm glad that's been clear.

The "No, I don't" thing was in response to your accusation that I regard every result in International football as being down, entirely to the manager.

No I don't. How dare you demean me with such an ugly suggestion?Management clearly plays a part, alongside several other aspects which can even include luck.I simply do not accept however, that luck was something that went significantly against us at all in this campaign.

Agreed, had luck not been with us we'd have drew with Georgia at home, drew with Ireland at home and lost to Ireland away

5 points we gained through luck

If he does go what about bringing back Alex McLeish? Believe he's the winningest Scotland manager of all time.

Technically its billy Stark with a 100% record but that was only 1 game. McLeish is 70% (7 wins 3 losses)

I wouldn't take McLeish back, he did wonders with that team in 06/07 but chucked us as soon as the money came from Birmingham. Apart from one cup at St andrews he's not been that successful since.

I'd keep Strachan because at times we've played some impressive stuff under him. We cocked it up in this campaign but unless Sir Alex fancies a go there's not many better Scottish managers out there for us.

Technically its billy Stark with a 100% record but that was only 1 game. McLeish is 70% (7 wins 3 losses)

I wouldn't take McLeish back, he did wonders with that team in 06/07 but chucked us as soon as the money came from Birmingham. Apart from one cup at St andrews he's not been that successful since.

I'd keep Strachan because at times we've played some impressive stuff under him. We cocked it up in this campaign but unless Sir Alex fancies a go there's not many better Scottish managers out there for us.

I'm veering towards this opinion too. I just wish there was something Strachan could say or do to prove that he's not going to go all bitter and belligerent like Levein did towards the end of his reign (and like Strachan himself did at the end of his Celtic time). There have been strong signs of it in the latter half of this campaign - stubborness of selections and snippy, arsey 'humour' with some of the press guys. He's better than that, but I wonder if he's too far into this job to suddenly shake it all off and return to the fresh, positive persona of early in his reign.

Nobody is doing any better with this squad of duds. Its been proven over 17 verging on 18 years and multiple managers that the pool of players is consistently not good enough.

Spot on mate. The Scotland job is a poisoned chalice. Doesn't really matter who is in charge and I reckon Strachan is as good as anyone and better than most for the position.

Nobody is doing any better with this squad of duds. Its been proven over 17 verging on 18 years and multiple managers that the pool of players is consistently not good enough.

Is Ireland's squad better than ours?

Not for me. They were better managed though, hence them finishing above us with a game to spare.

Archived