The Famous v The Even More Famous

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well it wasn't pretty but thankfully playing a dreadful Dundee Utd team which looks nailed on to go down unless Mixu can bring in a few decent players. Could have easily given Man of the match to Flood who i thought was excellent although Hayes creating the goal and scoring maybe just shaded it.

Glad the bad run is over although today i felt we wasn't as good as the last few weeks but didn't need to be.

Well that was dreadful until we got the goal. only then did we start playing some football.

A lot has to be said for confidence because we have b lacking it and were definitely far better once we had that one goal cushion and stopped shiting ourselves.

That said, Utd are woeful. As poor as I've seen them. I'd have been very worried if we hadn't beaten them. As it is, I'm only slightly worried.

Happy with the win today, it was never going to be our prettiest but we needed any kind of win. That said, there was enough to like about us today to be satisfied.

First half, we lacked cutting edge through the centre of the park, Pawlett was, at times, subdued in that period, but we controlled the game and displayed a reasonable patience. Superb save by Szromnik down to his left from Shinnie kept the scores at 0-0.

Second half, much, much better. Pawlett came out with a determination, Hayes and Shinnie continued their very fine work of the first half, while Flood worked tirelessly to win second balls aplenty. The opening goal owed a lot to Pawlett's run across the front of Szromnik, which was well timed. That Rooney easily won the header a yard from goal speaks volumes about the softness of United's defence. After that, we fairly comfortably kept in control, and looked dangerous when attacking. The second goal was superb from Hayes, to flash it across Szromnik.

Hayes, for me, deserved his Man of the Match award. Was tireless in his running at Shaun Dillon, and was a great creative outlet, with Shinnie very impressively backing him up. Flood had a very good game in the centre of the park, providing an energy that Ryan Jack has needed beside him in the last couple of games. Pawlett had a fine game, particularly second half, with some good direct play in the central area, while also dropping deeper to link.

Felt sorry for Kenny McLean at right wing. He's clearly not comfortable there, but with McGinn being dropped, it felt he was a little shoehorned into the team wide. We sorely lacked width on the right, where I felt that we could have exposed Dixon more. But that's a minor point.

Sorry to say United fans, but you are bloody rotten. Durnan is awful, Spittal very subdued, Rankin was his usual mediocre self, Fraser and Souttar showed flashes but would benefit with more quality and experience round them. But a special note goes out to Adam Taggart, who in 65 minutes barely touched the ball, offered absolutely no link play, never once ran at us and, to be honest, hid. A pathetic effort for a professional footballer and a man not befitting a club like Dundee United. Simon Murray isn't a Premiership footballer, but he at least attempted to link and pressed the game high up the park, and showed more in his first minute on the park than Taggart did in 65 minutes. I have ranted about Taggart as an opposition fan, I can only imagine how he angers United fans on a weekly basis.

Mixu has a fair job turning that rabble into a football team.

Started well, but the game dulled after about 10 minutes. Jack and Flood were stepping on each other's toes in the middle and for whatever reason the front three weren't creating. McLean looked out of position but had some nice touches. Pawlett showed good pace but was brushed off the ball very easily. Hayes just seemed to be told at half time that, yes you are actually a really good player.

Came right out the traps in the second half and Hayes did very well to set up Pawlett who couldn't really avoid hitting the keeper from that close. Rooney doing what he does best to sense a goal and follow in.

The pace is slowed slightly again but we look in control. Utd look very toothless. The second goal comes from getting behind the Utd defensive mids and Pawlett getting his head up (which he didn't do enough today) and finding Hayes on the left who could have crossed but instead rifled into the bottom corner across the keeper. It was a brilliant finish and one which we don't see enough from him.

Thought Taylor was excellent in the first half, both defensively and with his distribution. Flood was also very good in the second half. He makes Rankin look very pedestrian in the middle of the park.

Utd are in trouble. Souttar was the only player who seemed to create anything,and considering he was holding the midfield, it's worrying.

Happy with the win today, it was never going to be our prettiest but we needed any kind of win. That said, there was enough to like about us today to be satisfied.

First half, we lacked cutting edge through the centre of the park, Pawlett was, at times, subdued in that period, but we controlled the game and displayed a reasonable patience. Superb save by Szromnik down to his left from Shinnie kept the scores at 0-0.

Second half, much, much better. Pawlett came out with a determination, Hayes and Shinnie continued their very fine work of the first half, while Flood worked tirelessly to win second balls aplenty. The opening goal owed a lot to Pawlett's run across the front of Szromnik, which was well timed. That Rooney easily won the header a yard from goal speaks volumes about the softness of United's defence. After that, we fairly comfortably kept in control, and looked dangerous when attacking. The second goal was superb from Hayes, to flash it across Szromnik.

Hayes, for me, deserved his Man of the Match award. Was tireless in his running at Shaun Dillon, and was a great creative outlet, with Shinnie very impressively backing him up. Flood had a very good game in the centre of the park, providing an energy that Ryan Jack has needed beside him in the last couple of games. Pawlett had a fine game, particularly second half, with some good direct play in the central area, while also dropping deeper to link.

Felt sorry for Kenny McLean at right wing. He's clearly not comfortable there, but with McGinn being dropped, it felt he was a little shoehorned into the team wide. We sorely lacked width on the right, where I felt that we could have exposed Dixon more. But that's a minor point.

Sorry to say United fans, but you are bloody rotten. Durnan is awful, Spittal very subdued, Rankin was his usual mediocre self, Fraser and Souttar showed flashes but would benefit with more quality and experience round them. But a special note goes out to Adam Taggart, who in 65 minutes barely touched the ball, offered absolutely no link play, never once ran at us and, to be honest, hid. A pathetic effort for a professional footballer and a man not befitting a club like Dundee United. Simon Murray isn't a Premiership footballer, but he at least attempted to link and pressed the game high up the park, and showed more in his first minute on the park than Taggart did in 65 minutes. I have ranted about Taggart as an opposition fan, I can only imagine how he angers United fans on a weekly basis.

Mixu has a fair job turning that rabble into a football team.

Too long, didn't read.

Archived