Edinburgh

Mr Bairn

some septics say "Edin-boro". Which makes make want to say, "see that city in Pennsylvania; do you pronounce it "Pitts-boro" you twats?"

I saw "Trainspotting" in an Edinburgh cinema when it came out. When Renton et al mug that Yankee tourist in the pub the whole cinema cheered. Having said that I find the Ities more annoying because they clog the pavements in groups and you can't get past them- nae Roman army discipline there.

You should asSALT them at SAUCE?

What's that you say, you'll call me?

Right.

Grimbo

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

some septics say "Edin-boro". Which makes make want to say, "see that city in Pennsylvania; do you pronounce it "Pitts-boro" you twats?"

Yeah....I've encountered many yanks calling it Edin-boro.

Very often they'll ask what time the 1 o'clock gun goes off, or why did they build the castle so far away from the shops?

In French, and I believe several languages, the only British place names that are translated are Edinburgh (Edimbourg), London (Londres) and Dover (Douvres).

Cantorbéry feels excluded. Can't answer 'why' the list of exonyms is so short but it may be trade/geography. IE they were the places nearest to France and/or those who traded so much with France (bearing in mind Bordeaux was Scotland's national tipple).

As a meaningless aside, the Swedish word for corduroy is Manchester and the Russian word for train station is Vauxhall - both based on English place-names.

As a meaningless aside, the Swedish word for corduroy is Manchester and the Russian word for train station is Vauxhall - both based on English place-names.

The Norwegian word for vacuum cleaner is støvsuger and is pronounced Stoor-sooker.

The Norwegian word for vacuum cleaner is støvsuger and is pronounced Stoor-sooker.

As a Student I spent 2 summers working in an aluminium factory in Norway.

First time the boss guy mentioned getting the stoor sooker to tidy up I thought he was taking the piss.

PS. This was early 70's Health and Safety would take a hairy fit if they saw what we had to do.

Cantorbéry feels excluded. Can't answer 'why' the list of exonyms is so short but it may be trade/geography. IE they were the places nearest to France and/or those who traded so much with France (bearing in mind Bordeaux was Scotland's national tipple).

Manchester was the cotton kings, in the industrial revolution & after all the school teachers had purchased their corduroy trousers there was shit loads of the material left. No other c**t wears corduroy so in an ingenious business plan it was exported to Sweden has the latest new must have material. Obviously they couldn't call it corduroy cos there's no way they'd take that shit so they renamed it Manchester which although pre- the Smirhs, Stone Roses & Oasis it was still pretty cool with the Scuttlers running all over town. The Swedish like that sort of thing. Anyway they bought it lock, stock & barrel.

Since then there has never been a twinning of any Swedish town or city within a 50 mile radius of Manchester.

Grimbo

Boat travel in Norway is also fun - should you feel the need you spew into a syksekk, pronounced sick sack.

Scandi words are pretty literalistic - eg Sick House (Hospital). One that amuses me is the Swedish word for nipple is "breast wart".

Congratulations on killing another thread with your usual tedious pish Kincardine.

Well, it's better than the usual Glasgow > Edinburgh / Edinburgh > Glasgow shit-storm that's inevitably going to follow.

Eta: German can be the same. I used to give outdoor tours up north and would throw in 'Papageitaucher' (diving parrot) for the Germans at any opportunity. Can you guess what it is?...

atpu-scholtz.jpg

Archived