Edinburgh

Mr Bairn

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

More to the point, why is Edinburgh pronounced Edin-burra when there's no 'a' in it.

Could worse with the Americans using an 'o' of course.

some septics say "Edin-boro". Which makes make want to say, "see that city in Pennsylvania; do you pronounce it "Pitts-boro" you twats?"

I saw "Trainspotting" in an Edinburgh cinema when it came out. When Renton et al mug that Yankee tourist in the pub the whole cinema cheered. Having said that I find the Ities more annoying because they clog the pavements in groups and you can't get past them- nae Roman army discipline there.

In French, and I believe several languages, the only British place names that are translated are Edinburgh (Edimbourg), London (Londres) and Dover (Douvres).

Anyone know why that is?

you forgot Dundee- Ville du Merde.

Next question, are Tollcross and Fountainbridge the same place? I'm yet to see anything that differentiates them?

There is a lot of geographical overlap. "Tollcross" Primary School is on the street called "Fountainbridge" and clearly in both.

But Tollcross would extend to the meadows and but people still refer to what is actually Dundee Street as "Fountainbridge" and that's practically Polwarth

There is a lot of geographical overlap. "Tollcross" Primary School is on the street called "Fountainbridge" and clearly in both.

But Tollcross would extend to the meadows and but people still refer to what is actually Dundee Street as "Fountainbridge" and that's practically Polwarth

Personally, I would classify Fountainbridge to The Diggers, then its Slateford.

But then again I live on that Fountainbridge/ Polwarth boundary.

Tollcross is certainly not in the City Centre. Stockbridge is probably closer to Princes Street than Tollcross.

some septics say "Edin-boro". Which makes make want to say, "see that city in Pennsylvania; do you pronounce it "Pitts-boro" you twats?"

They might have a point with regards to pronouncing the 'w' in Glasgow though. How would you pronounce Alan Gow's name for example? 'Alan Go'?

Tbf, it wouldn't surprise me if Scotland had the most inconsistent pronunciation system in the world.

Archived