The Dundee United Relegation Express

• Replies 580
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was only 10/11 at the time, but I seem to recall it was Dunfermline who cigared their way to the title that year.  Spurred on to finish the job in memory of Norrie McCathie.

I was only 10/11 at the time, but I seem to recall it was Dunfermline who cigared their way to the title that year. Spurred on to finish the job in memory of Norrie McCathie.

I'm getting mixed up with Hibs the last time they were relegated and came straight back up. Sorry folks!

Maybe united and their fans will learn some humility while they are battling it out with ibs, Raith and St Boo next year....

I've had some battles with IBS after heavy drinking sessions.

There is definitely humility involved.

I'm getting mixed up with Hibs the last time they were relegated and came straight back up. Sorry folks!

Now I know you're at it. Are you seriously saying there was a time when Hibs didn't always hibs it?

Thinking back i'm sure 4 teams had a chance to go up going into the last 4-5 games.

With three games left Dundee Utd were on 63 points, Dunfermline on 62, St. Johnstone on 61 & Morton on 60.

Morton beat St. Johnstone 1-0 on the third last day while Dunfermline & Dundee United beat Dumbarton & Hamilton, realistically putting St Johnstone out of it.

Second last day was Dundee Utd v Dunfermline where a win for United would win them the league - Dunfermline won 1-0 to go top and mathematically end St. Johnstone's challenge while Morton beat Dumbarton, making it Dunfermline 68 points, United 66, Morton 66.

The last day was Dunfermline v Airdrie & Morton v Dundee Utd. Dunfermline won 2-1 to win the title, but a draw would have won them it anyway as Morton v Dundee Utd finished 2-2, with United going into the playoff on goal difference. They beat Partick over two legs, with stoppage time equalisers in both games before winning it in extra-time.

Scenes all over the shop.

I quite enjoyed our spell in the second top division last time around, say some really great performances and usually a good atmosphere both home and away matches.

Fair to say that the financial landscape of the game has changed and the big worry is the affect on the club's viability, particularly if we don't come back up at the first attempt.

It should give us an opportunity to restructure the squad and ditch the existing management team, hopefully it's an opportunity we take.

So other than the potential financial consequences it could be fun.

ETA - the two legged promotion battle against Thistle that Dunning refers to above was a fantastic, albeit emotionally fraught, experience.

I'm looking forward to cross-border competition in the new-look Petrofac Training Cup. We have reached the final every time we have played in the former Challenge Cup.

Win the Scottish Cup this season, and we have the potential of being knocked out of two cross-border competitions next season, a feat only exceeded by Celtic's 3 European knockouts a few years back.

Fair to say that the financial landscape of the game has changed and the big worry is the affect on the club's viability, particularly if we don't come back up at the first attempt.

Jim McLean reckoned Utd would have gone bust had you not beaten Partick Thistle in the play-offs. I think he was talking shite and being overly dramatic. However in this respect not much has changed. The longer you stay down the more difficult it can be to bounce back.

What HAS changed is that ticket prices are 5 times higher while the product isn't any better and the facilities have only marginally improved.

Archived