The Force Awakens - Spoiler Thread!

Quentin Taranbino

• Replies 415
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oft, not having that. It's good but that's stretching it.

It is better than a New Hope. Probably on a par with Return of the Jedi. Not as good as The Empire Strikes Back (but not by much).

Saw it for a second time last night. It certainly holds up. Dragged my brother along and even he enjoyed it, despite being adamant that he had no desire whatsoever to see another Star Wars film.

Observations a second time around:

• Han and Chewie really steal the show, they're fantastic
  • I much preferred Maz Kanata on a second viewing
  • Unconvinced by the "Snoke is Plageuis" theory
  • Rey's "awakening" made more sense this time, it fitted in better than I remembered
  • I love the opening scenes with the Stormtroopers in their transporter ships. There's just something "frightening" about it
  • Phasma being Fett'd annoyed me even more this time around
  • Han's death and Luke's reveal still pack a punch
  • It's probably the joint-second best Star Wars film for me

I think A New Hope is good. No better than that.

Whilst I think The Force Awakens is a really good return to form (better than the prequels, and I prefer it over Jedi) it can't be compared to Starwars. JJ Abrams did a remarkable job but it was following the same Starwars formula that seen the originals so successful. The way Starwars influenced so many film makers, the technology and film making techniques that was invented in making the film, mean it will always be a better film than the story alone. The order of films in order of preference should be something like this:

Empire> Starwars> The Force Awakens> Jedi> Sith> Menace> Clones

I liked Revenge of the Sith over Jedi until very recently, but it hasn't aged that well.

I said earlier on that Ren said Rey had been trained in the force, but that wasn't true. I misheard it. He says something like that she is very powerful in the force but is untrained and that she doesn't realise how strong she is in the force.

I think A New Hope is good. No better than that.

That's akin to Denis Law's comment on the Man U side he played in, only being able to beat the present day side 1-0. "Only them all being over 70, would keep the score down" being the obvious answer.

Star Wars is coming up 40 years old & technology has advanced by leaps & bounds.

There were only 3 TV channels, VCR's weren't on the scene & video games were limited to two white lines batting a dot back & forth.

That's akin to Denis Law's comment on the Man U side he played in, only being able to beat the present day side 1-0. "Only them all being over 70, would keep the score down" being the obvious answer.

Star Wars is coming up 40 years old & technology has advanced by leaps & bounds.

There were only 3 TV channels, VCR's weren't on the scene & video games were limited to two white lines batting a dot back & forth.

Am I supposed to care about any of this?

further thoughts on rey... what if she is rens half sister - Leia had another after han left, hence they do not know each other, only he knows of her

Menace is a great deal behind the other prequels for me. I still find decent portions of the others watchable.

Arguably the best lightsaber fight from all the films is in Phantom Menace. Attack of the Clones has absolutely zero redeeming qualities at all.

thought the dooku part at the end was good, when he bitch slapped obiwan and anakin, only for yoda to slap him back in his place

That was awful. Yoda turned into a super fly ninja. YIP YIP YEE YEE. Attack of the Clones is turgid. The awful love scenes between Anakin and Padme, the awful cartoon battles at the end, super fly Yoda, the shitty Coruscant chase. It was awful.

Ren's force powers seemed to weaken as the film went on, first 5 minutes of the film he stops a fucking blaster shot in mid air with the force, not even looking at it or even got his hand up as if he is controlling the force, but by the end of the film he cannot even steal a lightsaber from a force noob (she may not be a noob but in terms of this film alone she effectively is)

Was he still supposed to be able to concentrate at his fullest after 1) killing his father; 2) taking a wookie bolt to the ribs, something that ended everything else it hit?

There was also a bit of the "do not think, do" with Rey fighting for her life. Instinct taking over from the over thinking, over aggressive Ren.

I think many people are wayyy overthinking a dece film.

Formulaic and mediocre as a result, but an improvement on the prequels obviously. The next two could be good once there is more originality and less need to find a way to shoehorn in the cast from the original series and work in lines alluding to them. I thought the way Leia and Rey hugged at the end suggested at a mother-daughter reunion. Suspect Han Solo got killed off, because Mark Hammil and Harrison Ford are not able to work together amicably and maybe it is for the best as Ford's acting performance looked like it had been mailed in.

Suspect Han Solo got killed off, because Mark Hammil and Harrison Ford are not able to work together amicably and maybe it is for the best as Ford's acting performance looked like it had been mailed in.

Where did you get that from?

Harrison Ford would happily work with anything for the money.

Archived