Driving

P45

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's always those fiat 500L things that do it, Car of the beast.

I got stalked by one of them coming back from a Brora game to Inverness. I overtook them on a bridge and must have annoyed them. Went a steady 60 all the way home, lost them on windy bits but they went full 100 decibel throttle on the straights to nearly catch up before the next bend and screaming brakes. Eventually I got bored and pulled into a layby for a fag.

Tentatively looking into getting a new (well, in all likelihood "nearly new", but you get what i mean) car, since my Clio, reliable and comfy to drive as she has been, isn't really cutting it anymore. Still not sure exactly what the budget is like but I'm working now, have stopped smoking and my birthday is coming up so I've got a hunch my mum and dad are going to kindly help me out towards a car - unhelpfully I've no idea the extent to which they are willing to go but a ball park budget is a maximum of £10,000, so nothing brand new. edit: thinking of trading the clio in if possible but again, all early days yet.

Every time I've filtered my criteria down (estate since I need the boot space, 2.0 litre engine minimum since I'll be fucked if I'm driving another 1.2 ltr or similar, think I'll be ok for insurance now since I'm up to about 5 yrs no claims and coming up for 27, 40MPG+, 20,000 miles maximum, £145 road tax, up to a maximum cost of £10,000) it's coming up with Astra Estate cars between 2013-2014 - my friend who worked at Arnold Clark mentioned they were probably leased out as business cars for a while before selling them nearly new, so they'll mainly have clocked up motorway miles. Had a look at one at a local dealership and it certainly looks like it fits the bill for what I'm after.

Anyone had any experience with them/got any recommendations for a good estate car to look into, what to avoid etc.? Older brother has an older astra and said he's had some problems with his gearbox over the years...

Also people that stop on slip roads as if they are pulling out a junction.

It's usually a wummin.

I had to do that joining the Clyde Tunnel fairly recently from Govan as the lane I'd be joining was completely mobbed. Felt dirty but there literally wasn't any other option, plus the car in front of me had to do the same thing...

It's great when an arsehole decides a slip road onto the motorway is a great place to overtake just as you are merging with the traffic.

So you not only have to watch the motorway traffic from your right but adjust your speed so you don't slam into him

Tentatively looking into getting a new (well, in all likelihood "nearly new", but you get what i mean) car, since my Clio, reliable and comfy to drive as she has been, isn't really cutting it anymore. Still not sure exactly what the budget is like but I'm working now, have stopped smoking and my birthday is coming up so I've got a hunch my mum and dad are going to kindly help me out towards a car - unhelpfully I've no idea the extent to which they are willing to go but a ball park budget is a maximum of £10,000, so nothing brand new. edit: thinking of trading the clio in if possible but again, all early days yet.

Every time I've filtered my criteria down (estate since I need the boot space, 2.0 litre engine minimum since I'll be fucked if I'm driving another 1.2 ltr or similar, think I'll be ok for insurance now since I'm up to about 5 yrs no claims and coming up for 27, 40MPG+, 20,000 miles maximum, £145 road tax, up to a maximum cost of £10,000) it's coming up with Astra Estate cars between 2013-2014 - my friend who worked at Arnold Clark mentioned they were probably leased out as business cars for a while before selling them nearly new, so they'll mainly have clocked up motorway miles. Had a look at one at a local dealership and it certainly looks like it fits the bill for what I'm after.

Anyone had any experience with them/got any recommendations for a good estate car to look into, what to avoid etc.? Older brother has an older astra and said he's had some problems with his gearbox over the years...

The newer Astra's (J) are very reliable, A mechanic said they are better than Vauxhalls usual standard in terms of reliability. The only problems I've had is the coil pack which cost around £100 and a new front section of exhaust another £100 the cars done about 55k so it's been pretty good. I would go for the GCT(I think its called)version if I had the chance.

The newer Astra's (J) are very reliable, A mechanic said they are better than Vauxhalls usual standard in terms of reliability. The only problems I've had is the coil pack which cost around £100 and a new front section of exhaust another £100 the cars done about 55k so it's been pretty good. I would go for the GCT(I think its called)version if I had the chance.

Astra GTCs, the poor mans Scirocco. 

Modern cars are fucking shite, unreliable fucks, god forbid you buy a 1.6 diesel.

£10k could get you a E46 M3, stick another couple of grand onto that and you could get yourself a RS6 Avant. Speed before age anyday.

Modern cars are fucking shite, unreliable fucks, god forbid you buy a 1.6 diesel.

£10k could get you a E46 M3, stick another couple of grand onto that and you could get yourself a RS6 Avant. Speed before age anyday.

The scirocco is a nice car but well out my price range :(

He wants 40+ mpg, not 10

What's wrong with the 1.6 diesel? I don't have one, but most hatchbacks with one seem to offer a pretty good MPG, which would be ideal for a hefty commute.

Just curious, you work with cars, so may actually be able to post something worth reading ;)

I have a 1.6 turbo diesel Astra estate, 50mpg on my daily commute, 58mpg on a decent motorway run. 136ps makes it fast enough for normal driving and it costs nothing for VED. Happy...

What's wrong with the 1.6 diesel? I don't have one, but most hatchbacks with one seem to offer a pretty good MPG, which would be ideal for a hefty commute.

Just curious, you work with cars, so may actually be able to post something worth reading ;)

Its an engine built entirely to cut emissions and help economy, so they've not given a single shit about anything else. I've not come across one yet that doesnt end up with a DPF problem (which costs hundreds to sort, even if you take the "cheap" option of deleting it), which then causes an EGR problem (which costs further hundreds of pounds), which in turn causes turbo problems, which in turn causes injector problems, which in turn causes running problems.

I'm not even sure its the 1.6 engine which is the problem, rather its the fucking disgusting DPF system which was horribly underdeveloped before being thrust onto every car, but its certainly one which is the most likely to be affected. My boss built his business around buying and selling VW/Audis, yet utterly refuses to buy one due to the problems with them.

I'd say the same about three cylinder engines in Polos and Corsas. A huge chunk end up with burnt valves and needing a cylinder head rebuild.

FWIW I'm horribly biased against cars in general, ironically, as I could probably list common faults for most of the b*****ds. Ferraris, for instance, are one of the most unreliable cars you could buy.

FWIW I'm horribly biased against cars in general, ironically, as I could probably list common faults for most of the b*****ds. Ferraris, for instance, are one of the most unreliable cars you could buy.

I've got 3 and you're talking pish.

That's interesting to hear, thanks. MPG is gonna be King on my next purchase, maybe I'll just get a Dacia Sandero. There's f**k all on that to break.

My dad has 1 of them.

Drove it a couple of times. Very nice wi plenty of toys and a braw dash display.

You wouldn't go wrong

Folk who refuse to speed up on motorway slip roads really do my dinger.

Hi BTW.

It's usually auld p***ks with a flat cap and perforated driving gloves with their wife in the passenger seat who looks so small she could be in a child booster seat and still not see over the dashboard.

Archived